Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

Russ, Hayden, and Parker go to a concert.

"

Parker picked me up in his truck. “What’d you tell your parents?”

“Nothing, I just left.” Parker smiled and took my hand in his. His lips grazed over the top of my knuckles.

When we got Hayden she was protesting loudly. “I can’t believe you’re making me do this. I’ve been blowing off this kid for years.”

“Maybe it’s about time you grew a heart, Hayden.” Parker looked at her through his rearview mirror.

She stuck her tongue out in a childish way. She was wearing a dark blue shirt with ruffles on the front. A black cardigan went over top of that. She paired it with dark blue skinny jeans and black heels. She looked rather lovely. In fact she matched Parker. A blue and black flannel shirt covered his top with the same color of jeans clung to his bottom half.

I stood out with my white T shirt and black jeans. Parker drove us all the way down town. There were a few cars parked along the narrow streets. When he shut the car off he hopped out. The back door opened for Hayden then he got mine. A soft hand held out and I took it. He didn’t let go even when I was on the ground.

Hayden grabbed her purse and stormed off in front of us. Parker pulled me close. “Why are you doing this?”

I leaned my head in, “It got us out of our houses and together right?”

He smiled and tapped the top of my nose. “You are too cute.” Our lips met each other’s and broke off quickly. We had to watch where we were going.

“You guys walk so slowly,” Hayden whined and turned around.

“Why are you so eager to get there?” She glared at me again and walked to the club. She put her hands on the door and pulled. The dark club was hard to adjust to. Small table were spread around. There were drinks on the tables.

Parker looked at the bartender and raised his hand. “We’re just here to see the band.”

The older man nodded and pointed further into the club. We walked around a wall to see a large stage set up. Malachi’s band was setting up all of their equipment. He spun around to adjust his mic when he saw us. “Hayden, you came!” He cheered loudly. A black band T shirt clung tightly to his body.

Cheerfully he jumped off the stage and walked through a crowd of people until he got to us. “It’s so good to see you guys.” He patted my shoulder and looked up at Parker. Finally his gaze met with Hayden’s. “You look absolutely Gorgeous my lady.”

“Save your breath,” she hissed and sat down at the table next to her.

I huffed and looked at Malachi. “Good luck up there.”

He nodded and walked off. There was an extra bounce in his step now that Hayden was watching him. Her purse sat in her lap and she folder her hands on top of it. Parker pulled a chair out for me and we both sat down. “So far so good,” Parker joked and nudged Hayden.

Malachi’s voice sounded loudly in the room. “Hey guys, we’re Flightless Wingmen and we’d like to welcome you out tonight!” A large group of kids started forming around the stage. Parker grabbed my hand on top of the table. “Tonight is actually a special night for us. A very good friend, Hayden Tucker, is here tonight.” There were a few people who cheered. I was one of them. “I’d actually like to start with our most requested song, Love you Right now. This song was written for her.”

The crowd cheered for a moment and Malachi lowered his head. He looked next to him at his second guitarist and nodded his head. A soft little tune came from the guitars then erupted into a loud strum. I nodded my head against the rhythm. Malachi started to sing the words in his high soft voice. Each word described this wonderful love that he had, a love that would never end.

Parker kissed the top of my forehead then nodded towards Hayden. I followed the nod over to Hayden. She was staring straight up to the stage. It looked as if she was completely hypnotized. Parker and I shared an amused look and turned back to the stage.

I don’t think Hayden moved from her hypnotized state the whole night. When Malachi’s band was done performing Parker stood up and started stretching his back. “I’m exhausted,” He said quietly and rose his hands straight up in the air.

Hayden stood up also and grabbed her bag. “I think I’m ready to go.”

Parker laughed, “What you don’t want to talk to the new love of your life?” Hayden punched Parker in the arm and he flinched away. The question gave Malachi enough time to walk up to us.

“How did you like it Hayden?” His voice was soft. Sweat was pouring from his forehead. Hayden stood uncomfortably next to the table. Chi took a sip of some bottled water and waited for her replay.

“It was good,” she said loudly over the noise of the crowd. “You’re a very good singer. Why aren’t you on the STARs?”

Chi smiled and took another sip of water. “Nah, that’s all too formal for me. I’d rather just have me and my guitar.”

Hayden grabbed her wrist. “Well you’re very good at it. I hope you stick with it.”

Malachi nodded and winked at me. I patted his shoulder and he bounced off to his band. Parker yawned and handed me the keys. “I’m too tired to drive.” He said softly and started heading out towards the door.

The city lights were lit brightly at night. Parker walked with his arm around my shoulder. Hayden walked with us this time. Her heels clicked loudly against the sidewalk. She didn’t speak until we were in the car.

I started Parker’s truck and pulled out of his spot. Hayden jumped into the back and buckled up. Parker’s head leaned against the doors and he shut his eyes. My voice spoke quietly. “What’d you really think Hayden?”

She sighed loudly and put her hand on her chin. “It was so beautiful. Most of those songs were written for me.”

I smiled and looked at her through the mirror. “Perhaps you shouldn’t be so hard on him next week.”

She smiled and leaned back in her seat. “Thanks for making me go. I guess I was being shallow.”

I nodded and gripped the wheel as I drove down the street. Parker’s breathing deepened and I knew he was asleep. “I wonder why he’s so tired.” She said and leaned forward. Her hands grasped Parker’s head rest and she stared at him.

“He’s good to you right?”

I looked back at her, “What do you mean?”

She shrugged and moved back to her regular position. “He has had a reputation of being a player. It’s always a new boy every week. He can hardly keep one.”

I looked over at his calm face. It looked so peaceful so loving. I’d never seen any other side of him. He was an angel. “He’s been wonderful.” I spoke, but perhaps I spoke too soon.



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

311 Views
Added on April 21, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan