Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

A new friendship is bubbling between Hayden and Russ. But what should Bridger do next?

"

The next week STARs started. After school I bounded down the hall towards the music room. The halls had begun to empty by the time I got to the room. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Parker standing on the other side of the music room. A bright smile was plastered on his face. He flicked his dark bangs out of his hair and pushed away from the wall. He walked straight across the brown carpet to the door to the music room. His thumb grabbed the top of the door handle and pulled. The space between the door frame and the actual door was too small for my body. He stood in the gap forcing me to push up against his body. His dark pin up shirt grazed along my blue T shirt. My hand touched his chest and slid my body along the door. His hand grabbed the side of my face and his lips pressed against the top of my forehead. The breath from my lungs rushed out and my body stopped close to his. The tips of his fingers ran over the back of my head to my neck. A shock of electricity ran up my spine and I felt Parker struggle to pull away. His shoulder moved and he pulled the door open more wide. I tried to catch enough breath to walk through the door.

“Have a good time,” he whispered as I walked past him. My head nodded as I watched his bright blue eyes watch after me.

He closed the door and walked away. Just as I spun I was face to face with Hayden. Her arms were crossed and her hip was cocked. A glare was across her face. I took a deep breath, “I’m sorry.” I whispered.

Surprisingly she shook her head. Her white hands went to my shoulders. “That was probably the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.” She smiled during her pause. “I’m happy for you.”

A bright smile covered my face and she grabbed my wrist. She pulled me to the group of about thirty kids sitting in the room. Mrs. Williams has her brightly blonde hair curled today. She was singing and laughing with a few kids in the front row. When Hayden pulled me closer to the group she turned. “Ah, our newest member,” she said loudly and brightly. Every single eye in the room turned to me. She held out her short thin arm and walked over to me. “Everyone this is our new captain, Russel Shaw.”

All the faces filled with bright smiles. I looked over each and every face carefully. This was my team, my new family. Mrs. Williams pointed to two seats. Hayden and I took our places. When we were sat down she spoke to the group. “Last year we took a vote on what this year’s theme would be. It was a unanimous that the theme would be the 60’s.” There was a happy response throughout the room. Mrs. William’s eyes fell on me and I nodded. “For our first concert we will be doing songs from the famous Broadway show Hairspray!” Everyone cheered loudly. Since the movie had come out people had begun to fall in love with the show.

“Russel and Hayden will be choreographing most of our songs.” I looked over to her and she smiled. Mrs. Williams started handing out binders full of the new music.

Hayden leaned over to me after we got our books. “Did you want to get together and work on the songs?” Her brown eyes flipped from her black binder up to me.

My head nodded, “That would be fine. I didn’t know that you danced.”

She smiled, “I’ve also been doing ballet since I was five.” She smiled and looked away at Mrs. Williams who was starting music rehearsal. Hayden sang loudly next to me during her solos and I sang loudly during mine. We joked and laughed whenever someone messed up. The people around me patted my shoulders and complimented me after practice was over.

People came up to me and welcomed me to the STARs. I started to put my books back into my bag when I looked up to see Hayden flirting with Trent. She had him backed up against the wall. She flicked her head so that her hair would fall in front of her face. She flicked the long strands back with the flick of her wrist.

I smiled to myself at her failed attempt to get him into her. His annoyed face made me feel awkward for her. Finally he ended the conversation and walked out of the room. Hayden walked back over to me. My shoulder held my bag up behind my back. “Let me take you home.” She said and grabbed her purse.

I followed her all the way out to her car. When we got in I spoke, “So you and Trent?”

I could see the blood rush to her cheeks. “You noticed, did you?”

“It’s hard not to.”

She sighed, “He sure is something. He can dance better than anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s probably the smartest person on this planet.” Again she sighed and leaned her head back against her headrest. A laugh came from my chest and she flashed me a smile. “We didn’t get off on the right foot.”

I shook my head. “You didn’t know me. I understand.”

“No, I shouldn’t have judged you so quickly.” She pulled onto my street. “I think you and I could become good friends.”

“So do I.” she pulled into my driveway and put the car in park. She turned in her seat and held out her arms. I embraced her small body and pulled her into me.

“Friends, then?” My hand rubbed her back.

“Friends,” we pulled apart and I grabbed at the door handle.

Just as I was about to step out Hayden laughed, “Look who it is.” I turned my head to see Parker walking around his dark truck. I gave her a smile and she nodded. I stepped out of her car. My hand waved to her as she backed out of the driveway.

Parker ignored her existence and walked forward to me. The dark button up shirt was still covering his body. Tight designer jeans sat over black boots. He ran his hand through his hair and walked up to me. “Hey,” he was all that escaped his mouth. It’s all that was needed to make my knees go weak.

“Hey,” I said back. I tried to sound as suave and mystical as he did. It didn’t work very well.

He looked back over my shoulder. When his eyes returned his hand moved to the bottom of my chin. He took a deep breath then pulled his hand away. “Do you have plans tonight?”

I shook my head. “I don’t think so.”

A smile spread on his face, “come to dinner with me.” The blue eyes opened wide and pleaded down toward me.

“Of course, let me go put my bag in.” Parker followed me up the stairs. The house seemed awfully quiet. As I stepped in I saw that no one was home. Parker walked in behind me. We both looked at each other as the quiet atmosphere hit our ear drums. I walked down the hall to my bedroom. I heard soft talking coming from within my room. My knuckles rapped against the door and I pushed it open.

Bridger was standing up in the middle of the room. His cell phone was plastered to the side of his head. His green eyes looked up at me then behind my shoulder to Parker. “I understand Harper, Yes.” I could see his moral slowly deteriorating. My hand pushed the door open and let Parker step in. I walked past Bridger to the closet. He started to end the conversation. I walked out. “Yes, Harper, I will call him as soon as I hang up with you.” He sighed and ran his hand across the top of his head. Parker stood against the wall next to the door. “I love you too, bye.”

Bridger shut his phone and threw it on the bed. “This can’t wait any longer.” He said and looked up at me. There was nothing I could say. My eyes flicked behind him to Parker. Bridger spun, “Sorry. I’m Bridger.” Parker stepped forward and took the hand Bridger had held out. They held on to the hand shake for a long while. “You go to school with us.” Parker nodded and when their hands broke apart he stepped back to the wall.

Bridger spun around and looked at me. “He dances with you, yes?” I nodded and stepped forward.

“Where is everyone?” I asked and walked to Parker’s side.

Bridger shrugged. “I think dad took everyone out. I haven’t been here. In fact I’ve been on the phone with friends back in Reno. Harper needs me back there as soon as possible.”

My head sunk. “What’re you going to do?”

Bridger shrugged and sat down on the edge of his bed. “Nicholas said Harper and I can stay at his house. Her parents have kicked her out.”

My mouth gaped open, “That’s terrible, Bridger.”

I could see the hopelessness in his eyes. There was nothing I could do. I turned my head and looked up at Parker. He smiled down to me and touched the back of my neck. My shoulder sunk into his side. His arm wrapped around my shoulder. Bridger put his face in his hands. “I have to tell mom and dad.” I nodded. He did have to tell my parents. He had to be there for Harper. “I just need to find a way to get there.”

Parker rubbed my shoulder and I stepped away. “You can fly.” I said and walked over to Bridger.

“I could if I had any money.” This is where I actually could help. I walked over to the closet again. I stood on the top of my toes as I reached up to a shoebox. My hand grabbed the square box and pulled it down to my chest. I opened the top exposing a large pile of cash.

 I handed the open box to Bridger. “There’s almost a thousand dollars in there.” His green eyes got huge. “I figure you’ll use it more than I will.”

His hands took the brown box and played with the money below. “I couldn’t take this.”

“Ah,” I put my hand up. “Just think of it as repayment for all the times you’ve saved my a*s.”

“This is more than anyone could ask for.”

Parker gave me a bright smile then flicked his head towards the door. I patted Bridger’s shoulder and walked to the door. “I’ll be out late tonight.” I said and walked past Parker all the way to the truck.



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
I'm doing all of this from my dorm room. yay!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL awesome i love Haydens character she reminds me of a freind of mine

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

365 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 18, 2010
Last Updated on April 21, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan