Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

What a nice teacher. :D

"

Classes were fine. I never did too badly in school. Although all I wanted to do was get to lunch. Bridger would be there and well, I needed to tell him how excited I was. When the bell rang I practically ran to the lunch room. The small round tables were spread throughout the orange tinted room. My eyes searched over the sea of people looking for Bridger. When I spotted him the color was gone from his face. He sat at a table with his food already in front of him. His hand held up his cell phone to his ear. I stood in line and got a plate of food before I walked over to him.

By the time I got there his head was resting on his hands. He hadn’t touched his food at all. “What’s wrong?” He jumped not knowing I was there.

“Nothing,” He answered but it was quite obvious that there was.

“You can tell me,” I said quietly trying to not let the people around me here.

He looked up at my face, “Later alright? I promise.”

Again I nodded and we both sat in silence. I picked at my food and ate tiny pieces as I looked again over all the people. I recognized a few people from my classes and a couple from the football team who had said Hi. Perhaps living here wouldn’t be so bad. Everyone seemed friendly enough. I looked over Bridger’s right shoulder and caught the most recognizable face. Parker stood with a group of people. He was joking and having a good time. His mouth was spread in a large smile while he let out a loud laugh. Some of his friends were beat boxing around him and he started to dance. When he spun around he caught me staring at him. His body froze in the middle of the spin and he half smiled at me.

Quickly I whipped my eyes to back in front of me. It was too late, he started walking toward me. He stood behind the comatose Bridger. “I was wondering when I’d see you.”

Inevitably a smile crossed my face and I looked up into his light blue eyes, “What’re you doing next Friday?” He asked expecting a quick answer.

“Football game,” I answered solemnly.

Bridger looked up, “That’s if you make the team.” I was glad to see his joking demeanor was back. My leg kicked him under the table and a slight laugh broke through his lips.

Parker pointed down to him, “Who’s this?”

“Oh,” I had forgotten they’d never met. “Parker this is my brother Bridger. Bridger this is my friend Parker Reeves.”

Bridger spun in his chair and shook Parker’s hand, “It’s good to meet you. I’m glad my brother has friends.” He smiled at me, “I’m going to go to the gym. I’ll see you at tryouts.” He picked up his uneaten food and walked off. He dumped it into the nearest garbage can.

“Tryouts?” My eyes flicked back to Parker, he had taken Bridger’s seat as quickly as possible.

I picked up a carrot with my fork and popped it into my mouth, “Football.”

Parker leaned back in his chair, “Oh.” He smiled brightly.

“Don’t judge me.” Another carrot sizzled in my mouth.

Parkers hand rubbed along the edge of the table, “Too late.” It was almost uncontrollable the urge to reach out and touch his soft hands. It took all my strength to just stare at him. His blue eyes looked directly into mine. His thick dark hair was laying flat on his head. The bangs swooped sideways over this forehead. When a tiny piece fell away from the bunch I wanted to wipe it out of his eyes. He did it himself.

“So Friday,” I said trying to keep myself distracted.

Parker smiled, “What’re you doing after the game?”

Was he asking me out? Suddenly I froze. My mouth gaped open with a carrot attached to a fork inches from it. He smiled seeing me tense up. His hand reached over and rubbed my arm. Quickly I pulled it away and sat the fork down. My eyes looked around the room making sure no one saw. A laugh broke from his chest. “I understand Russel, but I’m positive that your father isn’t opposed to you having friends.”

“I guess.”

He slid his chair out from underneath the table. His strong arms leaned on the table as he got closer to me. The veins bulged out as if they’d been carved that way. “Friday night after the game you’re coming with me and I will show you what it’s like to be free.” He pushed off from the table and stood up straight. His blue eyes looked down at me with full excitement. His body spun until finally his eyes were forced to pull away from me. I watched as his think legs carried him away back to his friends. Again I watched as the muscles in his back pulled back and forth carrying him further and further away.

 

Classes again flew by one by one until finally the last bell rang. The crowds became cluttered with kids trying to find their way out of the brick prison. Instead of heading straight out the door I followed a map to Mrs. Williams’s room. As I walked in a group of kids were laughing and singing. I watched them in envy as they passed by. Each of them shared a smile with me and walked out of the room. When I rounded the corner into the room I saw Mrs. Williams standing over a student explaining something to him. The Asian boy was holding a paper in his hand trying to figure something out. Mrs. Williams looked up and caught me watching her, “Trent, come in tomorrow and I’ll be able to help you out.” The boy looked up at him then followed his gaze to me. He gave me a quick smile.

“Thanks Mrs. Williams,” Trent folded his paper and walked away. He passed me and tapped me on the shoulder with the paper in his hand.

When the door closed behind him Mrs. Williams smiled, “have a seat.” Chairs were set up in rows along different steps. I took one of the blue plastic chairs on the first row. Mrs. Williams stood in front of me and waited for me to get comfortable. “That was Trent Marcroft. He’s also in the STARs.” I nodded with a smile. Mrs. Williams paused and smiled at me, “This year you will be our lead vocal, probably dancer too.”

Excitement bubbled up inside of me. Again I wanted to jump up and down but I knew that would be a little strange. I had plenty of time to do that at home. “Now what are we going to do about your dad?”

“He can’t know, and if that means I not be in STARs then I guess that’s what’ll need to happen.” I felt the excitement slowly slipping away as I looked bleakly into my situation.

“Well we can’t have that then.” My head lifted up from my lap and I looked at Mrs. Williams with slight confusion. “I know what’s it’s like to have an overbearing father. The only thing I can see that’s a problem is when we perform for the school.” My head nodded as I tried to find a solution in my mind. “So, when we do that you won’t perform. Instead we’ll do Hayden’s songs.”

“Really?” I asked hopeful.

Her head nodded, “When I was in high school I had to choose between soccer and our music club. I chose soccer for my dad. The next two years were complete torture for me. I don’t want that to happen to you.”

A bright smile crossed over my face and the world lifted up off my shoulders. “Thank you so much.” I stood up and stuck out my hand.

Mrs. Williams shook it graciously, “Now go to that football team of yours.”



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
How are you liking it? This book is ending up really long.. Probably longer than Silver lining. idk.. It should be.. interesting. :S

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
Added on April 14, 2010
Last Updated on April 14, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan