Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

Where do you go in your time of need?

"

Warping made me sick now. Considering I hadn’t done it in almost sixteen years. As the scene changed my stomach became weak. When we reached the Oreson’s home in Miami I leapt for the first garbage can and let go of everything I had eaten that morning on the plane. Rylan walked straight forward to Phoenix, “Where the hell is my son?” He snapped right into his face.

As I lifted my face from the can I saw Rylan with his hand wrapped around Phoenix’s throat. I leapt just about the same time as Justin. His hands also went to Rylan’s wrists. I shoved Justin away as hard as I could which sent him back into the furniture. My hand lightly went to Rylan’s stomach and pushed him away. When his hands slipped off of Phoenix’s neck Phoenix gasped for air. Justin leapt for Phoenix and I pushed Rylan back to the wall. His eye brows were pushed together tightly in deep emotion and he was fighting back tears. His back finally fell to the wall and I curled my head onto his chest. His heart was racing and the blood could be felt pumping through his stone hard pecks. My hand stroked his abs lightly trying to calm him down.

Finally his hands wrapped around my back and his chin lowered to the top of my head. Slowly his heart returned to its regular pace. I waited for one last thing, “Sorry.” His hands sprawled on my back and I knew it was safe to move. I just lifted my chin and looked up his sorrowful face. He couldn’t even look at me. He just kissed my forehead and stepped away from the wall.

Phoenix had Justin under his arm, “Thanks for coming.”

“What other choice did we have? He’s obviously with your kid.” Phoenix nodded. Gray had begun to appear at the corner of his temples. Even with this he looked young. Curse those attractive genes. Rylan and I walked together closer and closer.

When Eileen had died Phoenix took over the house. He and Justin now ran it with their daughter Abigail. Phoenix’s silver eyes watched me carefully as I walked forward the same as I watched him. “What do you know?” I finally asked.

“Absolutely nothing, just that last night was the last time we saw any of our kids. The only one who isn’t gone is Veronica’s oldest Elizabeth.”

Rylan’s body shook underneath my hands and we stopped in front of Justin and Phoenix. Justin’s hair was also graying. His silver eyes looked down his nose at me. His upper lip snarled a little as we got closer. “Everyone will be here within the next few hours. We’re meeting together before we plan anything.” Phoenix’s voice had lowered a little with age. His hand linked with Justin’s at his side.

Phoenix’s face was much different than Justin’s. His eyes filled with sympathy and pity. I had a feeling mine looked the same. “I’m sorry about your daughter.” I said to him.

A soft smile spread across his mouth. He nodded and spoke, “I’m sorry about your son.”  He paused for a moment and shook Justin’s hand with his.  “She’s strong, I’m sure she’ll be alright.”

 

Hours passed before anyone came. We sat in the main room on leather couches and talked. They told us what they had been up to and we did the same back. The first people to arrive were Veronica and Jackson. The large wooden door opened up and Veronica stepped in. At 46 she still looked magnificent. Her dark hair was pulled back into a long ponytail. Gray pushed its way up on the sides of her head and feathered throughout the rest of her hair. Although not a single wrinkle could be found on her face. She looked up to see me, “Not you guys too?” She sighed and walked in. Rylan and I both stood. Jackson came in close behind her carrying two bags.

Veronica wrapped her thin arms around my neck. My hand sprawled on her back and I held her close. “It’s wonderful to see you, even under such horrible circumstances.”

She pulled away and patted my cheek. “We’ve missed you.”

She moved on to Rylan who hugged her and shared some pleasantries. Jackson walked up to me and shook my hand, “Collin looking good.” He smiled and punched my shoulder. He passed by me and moved on to Rylan.

Behind those two came two new faces. A tall thin girl with long brown hair walked in through the door. Her stomach was protruding under a tight black t shirt. She was glowing in pregnancy hormones. She walked in with her brown hair French braided behind her head. Her bright silver eyes sat under thin dark eyebrows. Her bright smile proved to me that she belonged to Veronica. One more man came behind her. His blonde hair stuck out against his dark skin. His young face made me miss the old days. He carried in three more bags and sat them by the door.

The young girl walked up to me. In just a second of knowing her I could feel her aura of sweet nature.  Veronica spoke for her, “Collin this is my oldest daughter Elizabeth.” Elizabeth’s hand sprawled out in front of me. Instead I opened up both arms and wrapped them around her waist. She laughed excitedly into my ear.

When we pulled apart her soprano voice spoke loudly, “This is my husband Ivan. And this…” both of her hands rubbed on her large belly “Is our first, his name is Logan.”

My hand rubbed across her belly and images of this same thing happened snapped into my mind. The surrogate who bore Zander was a beautiful sweet woman. Luckily Zander got her good points. Her dark hair was blowing in the wind as she and stood on our back balcony. “Ooh he’s kicking, feel this.” Her hand grabbed my hands and she placed them right on top of her stomach. A few tiny kicks hit my hand and I gasped.

“That is the most amazing thing ever.” I said out loud bringing me back into the present. Everyone’s eyes were on me. “Pregnant women, nothing can compare to its magnificence.” Everyone smiled and I shook off the memory. Rylan’s hands sprawled out onto my back.

 

We got to know the new members of the family for awhile until Jazz and her husband Phillip Wabrek showed up. Jazz’s usual bouncy self leapt through the door in one single bound. Her silver eyes searched over the whole room assessing everything before actually entering the whole room. Her silver eyes were still red and puffy. Phillip, carrying a few bags, walked in. I had only met him a few times but in those few times I realized what an amazing man he was. He would go to the end and back for Jazz and that’s exactly what she needed. Jazz hugged her family before she came to me. “Baby Collin, you grew up.”

I laughed, “I’d say the same.” Her tiny body fell again into mine like it was molded just for her.

Her lips went to my cheek and then she spoke into my ear. “I’m so sorry about Zander.”

I pulled away, “How’d you know his name.”

She laughed, “You may have a no power rule, but I sure don’t.” Her hand grazed along the back of my neck. She kissed my cheek again and then pulled herself from my grasp.

“Shiloh, it’s good to see you again.” He was the only one who called me Shiloh.  Phillip wasn’t one who could kill you in one hit. He was the more ‘kill you with silence’ type. He was a few inches shorter than me. His hair showed the beginning signs of balding. His stern face would scare many people away. His tan suit was tailored perfectly to his small frame. He gave me a quick smile and he followed his wife to Rylan.

We sat down and everyone started talking. Ideas were starting to be thrown around to who could’ve done it. Rylan sat silently at my side through the whole conversation. His hand held mine in his lap and he stared at the two hands for the duration of the conversation. I knew he was waiting for one certain person to come. His leg shook up and down in anticipation. As the sun began to set he finally got that person. Tex came hand in hand with his beautiful wife Kei.

Immediately Rylan stood up and walked to Kei. Tears were running from her eyes. Rylan scooped her up in his large arms forcing Kei to let go of Tex’s hand. I stood also looking towards the door. Tex smiled at everyone until he got to me. Sympathy filled his eyes and he walked straight for me. “Collin, where the hell have you been?” his long arms wrapped tightly around me and he pulled me into his chest.

“I’m so sorry, Tex.” I whispered into his chest where I was sitting.

He pulled me away, “I know my kids they’ll be fine.”

I hardly noticed that the whole room became silent. Each silver eye in the room was staring at Rylan. I spun around to see him completely falling apart on Kei. He was speaking some other language to her. Anger was filling inside of him. My arms pushed away from Tex and I walked to him. His body was shaking uncontrollably. My hands sprawled on his back. Kei shot me a look and I understood that she needed to take him. Together they walked up the stairs. Every eye was on the back of my head.

Phoenix spoke first, “Is he alright?”

I didn’t want to talk about it, “he’ll be fine.”

 

Kei and Rylan stayed in that room most of the night. As the rest of everyone ate, I ate in silence. People sat around in the main room after dinner and discussed what was going to happen. My hands decided to stay in soapy water. I listened as best I could without thinking about Rylan and how he was doing. I scrubbed away at the dirt and grime on the plates. My hands began to soften and wrinkle.

My mind went to Rylan and Zander. I thought of the conversation they had before Zander was taken. The last thing that Rylan heard from Zander was that he hated him. In fact that was the last thing either of them heard from each other. A firm hand touched my back and took me out of my day dream. The same dish was being scrubbed over and over in my hand. The skin covering my bones became even weaker and pain shot up through my wrists. “I think that dish is plenty clean.” I knew that voice. There was no doubt in my mind.

My hand opened up and the plate sunk into the soapy water. I was positive she didn’t appreciate it but I immediately wrapped my arms around Jo lee. A slight giggle left the space between her lips. She had cut off her hair and left it to curl underneath her chin. She wore a bright red dress showing off her still voluptuous curves. Her heels had her standing face to face with me. As we pulled apart I kept my hands on her waist. Her bright smile always comforted me. She placed both of her warm hands on the sides of my face, “Not your baby too?”

I nodded solemnly. She sighed, “I guess you heroes had better get your act together and save our kids.” She patted my cheek and pulled away.

“You aren’t worried?” I asked.

She spun around and came close to me, “I’m scared to death. But, what will sulking do?”

Those blue pools looked up at me with such love I couldn’t deny her words. She was always right. Her hands fell into mine like they had never left. “Come talk with them.” She pulled me into the main room where everyone was talking.

“Who could’ve done this?” asked Ryder seriously. It was good to see he was still as proactive as before. He was kneeled on the ground next to the large coffee table. His silver eyes looked up and he caught me. “Shiloh?” he was as surprised as everyone else. “Good to see you.” There was no lie in his words. He turned his head back to his brother.

I stopped listening at that point. Rylan had come down the stairs. Kei sat on Tex’s lap on the couch and Rylan walked over to me. His arm draped around my shoulder as if nothing had happened hours before. I just put my arm around his waist and patted his chest with the other. My eyes looked up into his swollen and bloodshot eyes. He just stared straight ahead. Not once did he glance down toward me.

That night I didn’t sleep well at all. Rylan curled onto his side of the bed and didn’t speak one word. The lights shut off and I crawled over into the bed next to him. “Good night Rylan.” I said quietly. A moment went by without a reply. So I shut my eyes and fell asleep.


© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
Peace and Blessings.. Peace and Blessings.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

415 Views
Added on April 6, 2010
Last Updated on April 6, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan