Chapter 3, Part 3

Chapter 3, Part 3

A Chapter by Lizzy
"

A student of the future faces overwhelming odds during a life-threatening tournament.

"
As it did yesterday, the mouth of the warehouse opened into the field, yet unlike yesterday, I paused for a moment to bask in its glory. Yes, it was a death pit. But it was an amazing step forward in technology, and a gorgeous realm of scenery. I jogged slowly at first, admiring the unrealistic beauty of the Field, but as the second dwarf appeared, I picked up my pace, then trudged into the ocean. It was a thrill to swim beyond where my short, shapely legs could reach, and I back-stroked so quickly within the next six minutes that I couldn't even see the forest anymore. As the seventh dwarf appeared, I studied his facial features, in somewhat denial that I was in the kill box, my bravado dissipating.

The weird, alienistic, fantastical creatures that appeared in the sky were breathtaking. Even a giant fire-breathing dragon appeared. Nothing conjured in the sky above the ocean, but I was not about to relax. I unsheathed a wicked sharp khopesh from the video-game style augmented inventory and tread with my other three limbs efficiently, in silence while I waited for the inevitable. Screams, human and animal, echoed from the shore, and my heart fluttered within my chest.

Something brushed against my leg, and I suppressed a disgusted shout. I looked into the water as dark and blue as the Warden's eyes, yet I saw nothing. A gasp escaped me as a rubbery tentacle-like limb wrapped around one of my legs and dragged me underwater. My heart hammered my chest now, and I hacked my sword at the limb until the tentacle severed completely, swimming towards the surface. My head broke through the waves of the ocean and I swallowed air as quickly as I could before I felt teeth grind into my thigh and drag me under. I hacked, I chopped, I held my breath, but the water grew darker and darker, my ears popped, the pressure squeezed my chest as I was brought down painfully slowly by an unseen creature.
I'm not sure which killed me first; the water, or the animal.


© 2018 Lizzy


Author's Note

Lizzy
This is an old work of mine, written when I was fifteen, inspired by a dream that I had. I discovered the work recently and liked it, so I have decided to revisit it. I will likely do a lot of editing and may add on to the story, or I may scrap it entirely. I would love constructive criticism over every aspect that could be improved.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on December 2, 2018
Last Updated on December 3, 2018


Author

Lizzy
Lizzy

Charlotte, NC



About
Hello there! I'm Lizzy, and I'm an entrepreneur and business owner. I've had a passion for writing fictitious stories for nine years and am constantly seeking to hone my capabilities. I'm glad to be a.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Lizzy


Chapter 1, Part 1 Chapter 1, Part 1

A Chapter by Lizzy


Wysteria Wysteria

A Book by Lizzy