Oudrine: Journal Entry 4

Oudrine: Journal Entry 4

A Chapter by Johnzo
"

Oudrine finally arrives at the Haven.

"

Today's been a very long day.  I arrived in the city this evening around dusk, the station was so busy, and I’ve never seen so many people in one place!  I wandered around for a time looking for Jonas, but couldn't find him and I guess my curiosity got the best of me so I decided to walk into the city a short way.  Sedenza is a very intimidating place at night! There are so many buildings and streets it's hard to find your way.  That and I really didn't know where I was going.  After a short while I decided to go back to station, Jonas said that’s where he would be waiting.  It was getting rather dark by now and the sound of all the air whales over head was a little unnerving.  Suddenly I heard some yelling, and the sound of breaking wood, I looked up and saw some men fighting on a landing station.  I was about to call for help when someone grabbed me from behind and pulled me behind a nearby building. I thought I was being attacked!   I began to struggle and yell, and then I heard a voice:  "Come Oudrine, it's not safe here.  We must get to the haven!"  

 

 I thought for sure I was in trouble. But I should've remembered Jonas' flair for the dramatic; it always tends to take me off guard.  I was however, glad to see him, he is the only person I know here. It was comforting to be with someone familiar after many days of traveling alone. He took my pack from me and we started off to the haven.  We walked down some narrow back streets with so many twists and turns that I probably couldn’t find my way back if I tried.  After several minutes we came to a particular building with a large wooden door.  Its immense frame boasted ornate metal hinges holding it to the rock and mortar of which the building's archway was made.  He knocked loudly on the door and as we waited I looked back out on the streets.  It was so dark I couldn't really see further than a few buildings away.  The eerie sense of quiet in this place at night just adds to its mystery, it’s as if the city is blanketed in black. When the door opened a small voice squeaked “Jonas?” and Jonas replied “It is us! I’ve found Oudrine, Let us in.” Upon hearing my name announced in such a way at the entrance of the haven, I felt that same twinge of anticipation and fear that I had felt at my and Jonas’ first meeting.  As we entered the heavy door creaked open and I saw lit torches lining the walls all the way back to the end of a large inner chamber. The scent of embers from the torches struck me at first but the lingering sense of well taken care of wood, stone and iron was much more encompassing.  It’s amazing the feeling of pride and sanctuary I felt instantly.

 

   As Jonas led me inside I caught sight of a mousy young boy who quickly set to work latching the door with large wooden cross braces. Jonas began talking off his overcoat and walked over to whisper something to the boy but I didn’t hear him because just at that moment a woman entered the room in a long beautiful white robe. She said, "Welcome to The Haven, Oudrine.  We've been expecting you.”  She told me her name was “Celeste” and that "they had been expecting me”, then she bowed gently.  I felt so unworthy to be treated with such grace and dignity by someone so fair.  I knew at once who she was, and from what little Jonas had told me about her I’m still surprised at her kindness and humbleness. Celeste is the leader, or head-mother of the Haven and she's supposed to have amazing power.  Knowing someone like her is here makes me feel a little better about my own situation.  She showed me around the haven for a short while and then to my room in the upper floors.  Celeste asked me about my travel and seemed very interested in everything I had to say. While we talked another young one, a girl brought me something to eat and left quietly without saying a word.   Celeste then gracefully excused herself and said she would be by in the morning to begin my "studies."  I'm a little curious as to exactly what she was talking about but.... she's so caring and warmhearted...   My room is very nice, clean linens a soft bed and a few oil lamps hanging on the walls.  I feel happy here already… much more than I thought I could.  It’s like there’s this aura of peace at the haven.  I think I'm going to like it here.  



© 2009 Johnzo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
Added on August 31, 2009


Author

Johnzo
Johnzo

Bridgton, ME



About
For more info on my little world, visit: www.echowake.com -Latest post: 2nd Draft Preview My favorite stories are usually ones that have a bigger world behind them, a story behind the story that.. more..

Writing
Nightmare Nightmare

A Chapter by Johnzo