Stepsister

Stepsister

A Story by paulhc
"

A (very) short story about family. The characters are from my first (unfinished) novel.

"

A dull light yawns eerily down our street as swirling smoke whisks spin languorously into the bright, spangled glare of streetlamps. The sensual concoction of bonfire smoke and the sharp, hot metal tang of spent fireworks linger, tantalise, whilst flares of citric colour illuminate the darkened sky in violent starts. The tastes of freshly made Parkin and treacle toffee satiate our eager appetite on this night we legitimise the burning of effigies; of blowing things up.

 I hold two sparklers like trophies as I run. Footfalls splat damp cobbles. My heart quickens with the pace, the anticipation almost unbearable.  

Bonfire Night; the middle of the Holy Trinity between Halloween and Christmas, we yearn for each event in unbearably long, spaced out intervals. Ironically as we grow older, the years seem to speed up, as if time itself is weary of us.

 

The soft glow of orangey red embers animate fresh faces unhindered by flaws and unearthed family trauma. They stare at me, reminiscent of last year’s incident.

My name carries on an excitable shrill as Millie runs to me, quickly.  She throws herself, winding me. She holds my neck tightly as she repeats my name repeatedly, excitedly.

                ‘Astrid! Astrid!’

She looks over her shoulder, telling no one and everyone.

‘I told you she would come.’

I feel no guilt. She never doubted my appearance. I know she forgives me.

‘For you.’ I hand her the sparkler tentatively and her scarred face, masked by soot, beams.

                ‘Can we light it?’ 

© 2016 paulhc


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Vivid imagery, I saw the 4th of July on South River Maryland community fireworks. Interesting ending.

I enjoyed reading it!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 27, 2016
Last Updated on July 27, 2016

Author

paulhc
paulhc

Todmorden, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
I am an unpublished writer. I am 52 years old and currently working on my first novel. I have entered short story competitions, including The Bridport Prize, and have been shortlisted once. I look for.. more..