Why Do We Even Bother?

Why Do We Even Bother?

A Screenplay by Jessica
"

This is my first attempt at a screenplay, and it's just the first bit - I'll add to it if it's okay.

"

 

EXT. AMERICAN SCHOOLYARD - MIDDAY
[Pan of school, babble of conversations becomes clearer and slowly focuses in on one conversation.
TAYLOR V.O.
So the chick’s like, well, well, maybe you should just shut up! and I’m like, dude! That is the lamest comeback I’ve ever heard.
[Laughter]
Slowly begin to focus in on one group of kids. They are clearly skaters, all boys except for Taylor. They are hanging by the back fence of the school, and occasionally one of them throws a longing glance behind them to where a Skate Park is just visible.
TAYLOR: straight brown hair, wearing black three quarter pants and a dark green T-shirt. She is sitting on her skateboard.
 EVAN: dirty blond, long hair, wearing scrappy faded jeans and an embellished T-shirt.
EVAN
Totally dogging last period, dudes.
JOSH
Hell, yeah. Double Chemistry, I don’t f*****g think so!
TAYLOR
You guys coming to the mall, this arvo?
ALL GUYS [EVAN, JOSH, JASON]
Sure, yeah, whatever
[Nodding]
A bell rings and the school collectively goes to get their stuff.
[Fade to blackness, then the sound of someone on a skate ramp]
JASON V.O.
Smooth dude. She sure can do it.
[Fade in on Skate Park earlier seen from school]
 Taylor is skating with Evan as the rest of the guys watch.
Taylor and Evan do something fancy.
JOSH
That’s f*****g insane. How is that even possible?
[Laughing from Evan and Taylor]
TAYLOR
Evan, your board sucks!
EVAN
Hey, don’t diss my board, I didn’t make you ride it.
TAYLOR
Hey, don’t diss my board, whatever!
Taylor and Evan go sit down and watch Josh and Jason.
Taylor looks around at where their stuff is.
TAYLOR
Evan! What’d you do with my iPod?
Evan watches intently as the guys try to mimic his and Taylor’s trick. They fail and Josh crashes to the ground, while Jason just manages to stick a landing on his feet.
[Evan snickers]
EVAN
Wow, that was dodgy.
TAYLOR kicks him.
EVAN [CONT.]
What, Taylor?
TAYLOR
My iPod! What did you do with it, man? If you left it at school…
EVAN
Mouths ‘f**k’.
TAYLOR
Evan!
Taylor shoves Evan off the rail he’s sitting on as she jumps the fence and marches back to the school to get her iPod.
She jumps the school fence, just finds it and turns to go back, but stops.
In the distance, we see an unmistakable Policeman striding from his car to where the boys are.
[Taylor groans]
TAYLOR
Not again! Dude, this is cheap.
She jumps over the fence again and sprints to where the guys are. She gets there just as the Policeman goes back to his car to get details.
EVAN
Taylor! What the hell’re you doing? Get out of here you f*****g dipshit!
They have an inaudible argument as the Policeman returns.
POLICEMAN
Oh, and we have another one. I recall seeing you somewhere before as well. Okay...
He pops up a pen and opens his notebook.
Evan shakes his head at Taylor.
POLICEMAN
Okay, names?
TAYLOR
Taylor.
POLICEMAN
Surname?
TAYLOR
Ryan.
Policeman looks hard at her.
POLICEMAN
Look, you better hope you’re telling the truth.
TAYLOR
Dude, why doesn’t anyone ever believe my name? This is so stupid.
She takes on an exasperated stance.
Evan glares at her.
Taylor catches his eye
TAYLOR
Mouths ‘I’m screwed.
[Fade out]
INT. KITCHEN
Taylor walks in casually, drops her skateboard and schoolbag by the door and goes to the fridge.
 TAYLOR’S MUM, BETH V.O.
Taylor?
TAYLOR
Who else?
Beth walks into the kitchen.
BETH: short brown hair, dressed casually, carrying an armful of towels.
BETH
Taylor, don’t be smart, five people live in this house.
She puts the towels on the table.
Taylor rummages through the fridge.
TAYLOR
Yeah, but only one of them gets home this early.
BETH
Kick the attitude, okay?
TAYLOR
What attitude?
She slams the fridge door and starts to head out of the room.
BETH
Taylor…
Taylor stops and glares at her.
TAYLOR
What now?
Beth looks stern.
BETH
You know exactly what now. That is the third time this week.
TAYLOR [MUTTERING]
That you know about.
BETH
What?
TAYLOR
Nothing.
BETH
I’ll just be blunt with you, Taylor, okay?
Taylor glares at her.
BETH [CONT.]
Your friends are a bad influence. I hardly feel like I know you anymore. All you ever seem to do revolves around them, and they’re leading you astray. You used to be such a nice kid, and now you’re just an attitudinal, foul-mouthed brat.
Taylor’s expression does not change.
BETH [CONT.]
See? Even now you don’t react to anything! You just don’t care anymore! About anything!
TAYLOR
I care about a lot of things. Just because you don’t think they’re worth caring about –
BETH
You’re moving schools.
TAYLOR’s expression gets even more rebellious.
TAYLOR
What?
BETH
You’re moving schools. You’re not going back to that school. You can start again. A fresh beginning would do you good.
TAYLOR
Oh, yeah? Make me.
BETH
Oh, trust me, I will. You’re already enrolled at a new school.
Taylor looks horrified. Clearly she hadn’t believed Beth.
TAYLOR
You can’t do this. (Louder) You can’t take away my f*****g life!
BETH
Language. You don’t have much of a life, Taylor. Skating. Is that really the best you can do?
TAYLOR
You don’t understand at all. You think that somehow my friends have turned me into someone else. But that’s wrong. I’m the one that’s changed, I made these friends, and this is what I want to do! This is who the f**k I am! Why is it okay for Bryce and Blake to act so damn stupid? Mum, this is me. This is who I want to be.
BETH
Then that’s even worse. I’ve given you very lenient boundaries, Taylor, and this is what you decide to do? I’ve tried, Taylor, and with your father away so often, it’s not easy. I tried to be nice. Well from now on, that’s changing. New school, new rules.
Taylor looks furious.
Beth moves to stand directly in front of her.
You are not to leave the house until Monday morning, when I will drive you to the gates of your new school. You are to stay there all day, and I will pick you up as soon as the bell goes in the same place I drop you off. You are not taking your cell to school, and I will pack your bag if necessary. No skateboard to school. I’m confiscating it.
TAYLOR
No!
BETH
Taylor, be quiet. No seeing friends out of school without me there, same goes for weekends. I’ve given you chances, Taylor, and you obviously haven’t learned from your mistakes.
TAYLOR
What about my friends? Evan, Josh, Jason...you can’t just take them away from me.
BETH
Yes I can.
Taylor turns around and walks out of the kitchen, into her room and slams the door. She grabs her phone from her bag and dials a number. Her hands are shaking.
TAYLOR [WHISPERING]
Evan? Yeah, it’s me.
Picture cuts to Evan, who is walking up a street.
EVAN
Whoa, what’s happened dude? Are you crying?
TAYLOR
[From other end of phone line] Not yet.
EVAN
What’s wrong?
Picture goes back to Taylor, who is sitting on her bed leaning against the wall with her eyes shut.
TAYLOR
I just got a massive lecture from my mum, and the crux of it...I’m moving schools.
Picture goes back to Evan, who has just stopped.
EVAN
What the f**k? That is uncool. Just for ditching class?
TAYLOR
Basically. And also for being friends with you guys. I’m not allowed to see you ever again. I’m under twenty-four hour surveillance. I don’t know what to do.
EVAN [SIGHS]
Taylor, neither do I. I’ve been kicked out of the house. At least for now.
Picture goes back to Taylor. She opens her eyes.
TAYLOR
What? That’s...I don’t know, that’s just...
EVAN
I know. [Pause] What school’re you going to?
TAYLOR
I don’t even know. [Pause] I’d say come over, but mum has an axe in the garage. I dunno who’d be first on the menu.
Fade out.

© 2009 Jessica


Author's Note

Jessica
yeah i know i dunno really how to lay it out and stuff, and no it's not finished, so yeah...

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whoa! Awesome stuff here
Amazing imagery
Language fits well with what you have written.
I usually don't read things with cuss words, sometimes it helps with what you are writing about.
This is wonderful, I enjoyaed your characters. very well written.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 18, 2009

Author

Jessica
Jessica

Near Sydney, Australia



About
:) more..

Writing
The Vampire The Vampire

A Poem by Jessica


End It. End It.

A Poem by Jessica