I

I

A Chapter by James Bonner

My eyes wondered towards the window just as a white van passed reflecting the light of the sun into my eyes. I turned away sharply, out of instinct - I imagine - I cannot recall feeling any irritation. I looked back staring helplessly out the window. I couldn't turn away. Although, I don't remember trying.

"It looks like rain and..."

The heavy door slammed behind me, I didn't intend on that. I hesitated. Knowing that she thought it was intentional. I could feel her watching me through the window. There were a number of possibilities in my head and I knew my choices in this moment would affect everything.

"We’re going to have to let you go."

"We just feel that..."

My thoughts drowned him out. I never could stay "involved", what people had to say never interested me. Sometimes I wondered if the fault was mine. However, I quickly reminded myself that’s impossible. How could fault be mine if it was everyone else that was boring? Conformity breeds conformity - in a world where everyone is the same how could one person ever be noticed? We cannot survive without submitting. With seeping expectation all any of us are the idea of what we are expected to be.


© 2010 James Bonner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on July 10, 2010
Last Updated on July 10, 2010


Author

James Bonner
James Bonner

Santa Fe, NM



About
I am a writer living in Santa Fe, New Mexico. WritersCafe is like my dessert, an opportunity to experiment and develop different aspects of my writing through feedback from fellow writers. more..

Writing
Short Bio Short Bio

A Story by James Bonner