Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by John Ryan

People are always at their worst in airports. It’s a distilled version of humanity, squeezed into narrow gates and endless lines. I’m sitting in a faux-leather chair in the airport lounge, staring at a laminated table, the kind that wipes clean but always feels sticky. The airport's cacophony fills my ears: announcements, conversations, and the incessant buzzing of fluorescent lights. Above it all, a tinny speaker drones on about the latest corporate mishap.


In between the noise, I catch snippets of a news report: “Rising tensions... unprecedented levels of protest... corporate control...” It’s the same story every day, just with different faces. The world is a mess, and everyone knows it, but no one seems to care. Not enough to do anything, anyway.


The lounge is plastered with advertisements. Neon signs and holographic displays urge me to buy the latest gadgets, try new miracle supplements, or join the premium loyalty program for exclusive perks. Each ad is louder and flashier than the last, vying for my attention.


I sip my coffee, a bitter brew from the lounge bar that thinks dark roast means burnt. Across from me, a businessman in a suit takes a sip from a paper cup.

The perfect cup of coffee should be brewed at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Anything higher, and you risk bitterness. But try telling that to someone in a rush.


“Girl, You Need a Change of Mind '' by Brock Benton plays softly in the background, a soulful melody that clashes with the sterile, commercialized atmosphere. It’s a small comfort in the midst of the chaos.


A kid is glued to his tablet, playing some mindless game. His mother taps furiously on her phone, probably scrolling through social media. The irony isn’t lost on me: everyone here is trying to escape, even though we're all grounded.


I glance at the departure board. My flight to San Francisco is delayed. Again. A mechanical issue, they said. I can’t help but smirk at the irony. In a world run by machines, it’s the machines that keep screwing us over.


A voice crackles over the intercom, announcing another delay. A collective groan rises from the crowd. I run my fingers through my hair and lean back, closing my eyes. Maybe if I pretend hard enough, I can convince myself I’m somewhere else. Somewhere quieter. Somewhere with better coffee.


My phone buzzes in my pocket. It’s a text from Lena. “Any updates on your flight?”


I type back a quick response: “Delayed again. Mechanical issue. Could be hours.”


Lena and I have been friends since college. She’s one of the few people who actually gets me, who understands that the world is more than just a series of transactions. She’s a journalist, always digging for the truth. I’m not sure if that makes her brave or foolish. Probably both.


I glance at the news feed on my phone. More protests, more violence. The corporations are tightening their grip, and people are pushing back. It’s a powder keg waiting to explode. And here I am, stuck in an airport, waiting for a plane that might never take off.


Another announcement blares over the speakers. This time it’s my flight. “Flight 227 to San Francisco is now boarding. Please proceed to gate 14.”


Finally, I grab my bag and head towards the gate, weaving through the crowd. The gate agent scans my boarding pass with a robotic smile. I wonder if she’s as dead inside as she looks.


On the plane, I find my seat and settle in. The overhead bins are crammed with luggage, and the air smells faintly of recycled despair. I buckle my seatbelt and close my eyes, trying to block out the noise.


A flight attendant passes by, handing out cups of coffee. I watch as she pours a cup for the passenger next to me. Fact: Cold brew coffee is made by steeping coarse-ground beans in cold water for 12 to 24 hours. The result is a smooth, less acidic coffee. Perfect for a hot day or a long wait in an airport.


As the plane begins to taxi, I glance at the person next to me, a woman in her late twenties. She’s reading a book titled “The Art of Rebellion.” I nod at the book. “Good read?”


She looks up, surprised. “Yeah, actually. It’s about different forms of resistance throughout history. I’m Claire, by the way.”


“Alex,” I reply, offering a handshake. “Resistance, huh? Seems timely.”


She chuckles. “Definitely. With everything going on, it feels like everyone’s looking for ways to fight back.”


The plane shudders, and we both glance around nervously. The captain’s voice crackles over the intercom, apologizing for the delay. Mechanical issue. We’ll be returning to the gate.


A collective groan fills the cabin. I unbuckle my seatbelt and lean back, closing my eyes. It’s going to be one of those days.


Back at the gate, the announcements continue. The flight is canceled. Passengers are directed to the customer service desk for rebooking. I grab my bag and join the slow-moving line, feeling the frustration build.


As I wait, I notice a man with a fancy coffee travel kit setting up his French press. He’s meticulously measuring the grounds and pouring the water with precision. Fact: A French press is one of the simplest and most effective ways to brew coffee. Coarse-ground beans, hot water, steep for four minutes, press, and pour.


Claire ends up behind me in the line. “Looks like we’re stuck here for a while,” she says with a sigh.


“Yeah, seems that way. What’s your plan now?” I ask.


“Guess I’ll rebook and find a hotel. Same as everyone else,” she replies. “What about you?”


“Same,” I say. “We should grab a drink or something. Misery loves company.”


She smiles. “Sounds good.”


By the time I reach the front of the line, my patience is wearing thin. The customer service agent looks at me with tired eyes. “How can I help you?”


“Flight to San Francisco. What are my options?”


She taps at her keyboard, her expression not changing. “Next available flight is tomorrow morning. We can book you a hotel for the night.”


I nod, too exhausted to really care. “Let’s do that.”


As she prints out my new ticket and hotel voucher, I glance around the terminal. People are scattered, some angry, some resigned. It’s a microcosm of the world outside, where everyone’s just trying to get by, hoping for a break that never comes.


I take my new ticket and hotel voucher and head for the exit. The airport is a maze of signs and people, all blending into a blur. Claire catches up to me as we step outside, the cool evening air hitting our faces, a welcome relief from the stuffy terminal. We hail a cab and give the driver the address of the hotel.


In the back seat, I pull out my phone and text Lena. “Flight canceled. Staying overnight. Will update you tomorrow.”


The cab weaves through the city, the neon lights casting a surreal glow over everything. I think about the mechanical issue that grounded the plane. It’s a small thing, but it feels like a sign. The world is falling apart, one broken piece at a time.


As we pull up to the hotel, I pay the driver and step out. The lobby is quiet, a stark contrast to the chaos of the airport. Claire and I check in and head to our rooms, the weariness settling into my bones.


Inside my room, I drop my bag and sit on the edge of the bed. The room is generic, sterile, like a thousand other hotel rooms I’ve been in. I pull out my travel coffee kit, a small comfort in a world that makes increasingly less sense. As I brew a cup, my mind wanders back to the airport, to the news reports and the droning announcements. The world is a mess, and everyone knows it. But maybe, just maybe, there’s still hope. Maybe there’s something worth fighting for.


I take a sip of my coffee, savoring the rich, full flavor. It’s a small victory, but I’ll take it. Because in a world where everything feels out of control, sometimes it’s the little things that keep you sane.


And as I sit there, in a sterile hotel room with a cup of freshly brewed coffee, I can’t shake the feeling that this is just the beginning. The mechanical issue that grounded my plane is more than just a glitch. It’s a sign of things to come. And whatever happens next, I know I’ll be ready. Because sometimes, all you need is a good cup of coffee and the will to keep going.


Fact: In times of uncertainty, find comfort in the things you can control. Like brewing the perfect cup of coffee.


As I finish my cup, I lie back on the bed, staring at the ceiling. The world outside continues to fall apart, but for now, in this moment, I find a strange sense of peace. Because no matter how bad things get, there’s always tomorrow. And tomorrow, I’ll face whatever comes with a clear mind and a fresh brew.



© 2024 John Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

41 Views
Added on May 30, 2024
Last Updated on May 30, 2024
Tags: SciFi


Author

John Ryan
John Ryan

Shreveport, LA



About
I am an author from Shreveport La. USA more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by John Ryan


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by John Ryan