Chapter 1, The Aftermath

Chapter 1, The Aftermath

A Chapter by John Ryan

In the city's neon glow, secrets buried deep,

Whispers of rebellion stir where shadows creep.

Blissful smiles hide memories erased,

In a world of control, truth is misplaced.


The city was never truly silent, even in the dead of night. It thrummed with a low, omnipresent hum, a blend of distant machinery, muted voices, and the ceaseless flow of traffic far below. Neon lights flickered intermittently, casting a ghostly pallor over the empty streets, while the occasional whir of surveillance drones overhead reminded everyone that they were never really alone. The air itself seemed to vibrate with the residual energy of millions of lives intertwined, each pulse a testament to the city’s relentless pace.


Tonight, however, a hushed pall seemed to settle over the skyscrapers and down into the winding streets below. The news of Anton Krilli’s assassination had spread through the upper echelons of Harmonix and into the corridors of power with a swiftness that belied the government's usual heavy hand on information flow. In a luxurious apartment high above the city, Detective Morris Parker stood by his window, the distant lights casting shadows across his thoughtful expression.


Morris had received the call about Anton's death only an hour earlier. Officially, his role was to investigate; unofficially, he knew better than to assume the murder was a straightforward affair. Anton Krilli wasn’t just a corporate titan; he was the architect of Bliss, the drug that kept society in check by erasing memories of a rebellion that supposedly occurred a decade ago. His death could be the spark that ignited a smoldering resistance or a brutal government crackdown.


As Morris prepared to leave, his communicator buzzed insistently. It was Mara, his contact within the resistance. "I heard about Krilli," her voice was tense, a whisper in the night. "You need to be careful, Morris. This isn’t just another case."


Morris pocketed the communicator, his mind racing. The government would use Anton’s death to tighten their grip, but the resistance might see it as an opportunity. He needed to tread carefully, playing his role for the government while aiding the resistance where he could.


Pulling on his coat, Morris stepped out into the night. The streets were eerily quiet as he drove towards Anton’s penthouse. The scene of the crime would be swarming with Harmonix security and government officials, all scrambling to cover up or spin the story before it reached the public.


Upon arriving, Morris was greeted coldly by Commander Lynk, the head of Harmonix Security. "Parker, glad you could join us," Link's voice was like gravel, harsh and grinding. "This is a sensitive matter. I don’t have to tell you that what you see here doesn’t leave this room."


The penthouse was a crime scene frozen in time. The sliding glass door was still ajar, letting in the cold night air. In the center of the room lay Anton, his body outlined by the city’s neon lights filtering through the window. Near him, a shattered wine glass and a pool of blood marked the final moments of his life.


Morris knelt beside the body, his detective instincts taking over. There were no signs of a struggle; it was a professional hit. He noticed something glinting under the edge of the sofa, a small, digital chip. Carefully, he pocketed it before anyone else saw. It could be nothing, or it could be a clue to why Anton was really killed.


As he stood up, Morris caught a reflection in the glass. A shadow moved in the periphery of his vision, fleeting and gone before he could turn. Paranoia, or was someone watching? In this line of work, and in this city, Morris knew better than to dismiss his instincts.


The night was only beginning, and Detective Morris Parker was already deep in the web of intrigue that Anton Krilli’s death had woven. Who had really ordered the hit? And more importantly, what would they come for next?


Back in his car, Morris lit a cigarette, the flare of the lighter casting brief, sharp shadows on his face. He took a drag, exhaled slowly. The familiar burn grounded him, brought clarity. The chip he’d pocketed was a puzzle piece. Maybe a key.


Morris drove to a nondescript building on the edge of the city’s affluent district. It looked like any other government facility, but inside, it housed the technology and secrets that kept Harmonix and the government in power. His access pass got him through the initial checkpoints, but he knew the real challenge lay ahead.


In the lab, he plugged the chip into a secure terminal. Data scrolled across the screen, a blur of numbers and coded language. He decrypted it, the lines resolving into something more sinister than he’d expected. Not just business plans or financial records test results. Human trials.


Bliss wasn’t just a simple drug. It was a finely tuned weapon of control, with variations tailored to erase memories, induce compliance, and deepen dependency. Anton had been playing god, creating a cycle of dependency and control. But who had decided to end his reign?


A noise in the hallway snapped Morris out of his thoughts. He quickly ejected the chip, tucking it back into his pocket. Footsteps approached, deliberate and heavy. He recognized the rhythm, Commander Lynk.


“Morris, I didn’t expect to see you here,” Link's voice cut through the sterile air of the lab.


“Just following up on a lead,” Morris replied, keeping his tone casual. “Got a hunch this chip might tell us more about Krilli’s plans.”


Link's eyes narrowed, suspicion mingling with curiosity. “You find anything useful?”


“Not yet,” Morris lied. “Still piecing it together.”


Lynk’s gaze lingered for a moment too long. “Make sure you do. And remember, some things are better left buried.”


Morris nodded, the weight of the warning clear. As Lynk walked away, Morris knew he was running out of time. The chip’s secrets were dangerous, but exposing them might be the only way to stop the new Bliss from rolling out.


Back in his car, Morris dialed Mara. “We need to meet. Now.”

�"


Mara agreed to meet Morris at their usual spot, a deserted parking garage on the outskirts of the city. The place was so deserted not even ghosts visit there. Morris parked and, satisfied that he wasn’t followed, sat waiting for Mara.

She arrived not too long later, through the stairwell her silhouette barely visible in the dim light. She slid into the passenger seat without a word, her eyes scanning the darkened corners of the garage before settling on him.

"You didn't have to choose the top, you know?" She said annoyed. "Now what did you find?"

Morris grinned while placing the chip on the dashboard, covering it with his hand. “This was at Krilli’s place. It’s got information on Bliss, more than we ever suspected. There are references to some kind of cover-up.”

Mara’s eyes widened. “Cover-up? What kind of cover-up?”

Morris shook his head. “I don’t have all the details yet, but it involves the development of different Bliss formulas and something about altering memories. The files it was referencing weren't in his home. Whatever it is, it’s big.”

Mara leaned back, absorbing the information. “We need to figure out what they’re hiding, it could undermine the entire government’s narrative.”

Morris glanced around again, his paranoia creeping back. “I don't disagree, but we need to be careful. Lynk already suspects something. He was at the lab while I was decrypting the chip.”

Mara reached out and placed a hand on his. 


“We’ll handle Lynk. For now, we need to focus on getting this information to the right people. The resistance has contacts that can help.”

Morris felt a surge of gratitude for Mara’s steadiness. “We’ll need to be smart about this. No sudden moves, no obvious signals. We can’t let them know we’re onto them until we’re ready.”

Mara nodded, her resolve firm. “Agreed. We’ll meet with the others tonight. Let’s plan our next steps carefully.”

Later that evening, Morris and Mara arrived at another secret location, a derelict warehouse in the industrial district. Inside, a group of resistance members awaited them. The mood was tense, the air thick with anticipation.

Mara took the floor, her voice strong and clear. “We have new information. Anton Krilli’s death was no random act. He was silenced because he knew too much about Bliss and what’s really going on behind the scenes. We need to get to the bottom of this.”

Gasps and murmurs filled the room as Morris stepped forward, holding up the chip. “This contains evidence that there’s more to Bliss than we’ve been told. We need to get this information out, but we have to be strategic. If they find out we have this, they’ll come after us hard.”

One of the members, a grizzled man named Jax, spoke up. “We’ve got allies in the media, people who can get this story out. But we need to ensure they’re protected. This is going to be dangerous.”

Mara nodded. “We’ll coordinate with our contacts and plan a secure way to release this. In the meantime, we need to stay vigilant. They’ll be looking for any signs of dissent.”

As the meeting continued, Morris felt a sense of unity and purpose among the group. They were risking everything, but the potential for change was worth it. He knew the road ahead would be perilous, but he was committed to seeing it through.

After the meeting, Morris returned to his apartment, his mind racing with plans and contingencies. He knew he was walking a tightrope, but there was no turning back now. The truth about Bliss and whatever cover-up Anton had discovered had to be exposed, no matter the cost.

As he prepared for bed, his communicator buzzed with a message from Mara: “Lynk is watching.”

Morris stared at the message, the weight of their situation pressing down on him. He knew the risks, but he also knew that the time for half-measures was over. It was time to act.

He lay down, the city’s neon glow seeping through the curtains, casting long shadows across the room. In the silence, he made a promise to himself: to see this fight through to the end, to bring the truth to light, and to free the people from the chains of Bliss.

With that resolve, he closed his eyes, ready to face whatever came next.



© 2024 John Ryan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on May 30, 2024
Last Updated on May 30, 2024


Author

John Ryan
John Ryan

Shreveport, LA



About
I am an author from Shreveport La. USA more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by John Ryan


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by John Ryan