Minute Perceptions

Minute Perceptions

A Story by JohnL
"

An excercise in observation; all senses. From a Liverpool University Diploma Course. The square yard was on Hilbre Island - perhaps 2 miles off the coast of Wirral and only reacable at low tide.

"

 

Sharp perception expressed in an interesting way.
 
 
My eyes hover over a mere square yard of earth. Sand grains twinkle through sparse seaside grass. Spearheads form clumps as leaves of thrift form protective hummocks beneath exploding pink starbursts. Is that the sound of a skylark I hear? I do not look, as my eyes are drawn deeper to catch the movement of a swift, slender millipede flexing through its jungle habitat, revealed to my now attuned eyes in minute detail – my sense of proportion has adjusted to my Lilliputian ‘yardworld’ . Larksong is conjoined with light percussion of waves breaking or merely swishing nearby. Whoever thought that the short scaly stems of coltsfoot would shyly reveal themselves among seashell detritus and that scarlet pimpernel could send filigree threads amongst the yellowing base of the grasses? Odours of the sea, rotting seaweed, tarred wood and old rope – salt, grass, the intangible smell of sea-wind’s freshness are mine for the breathing. They are free, they surround the butterfly that sips nearby, just as they surround me. We are two of a kind, savouring the tastes, sights and smells of a few inches of land – a million miles of ocean. My hands ache from supporting my kneeling weight. Tough grass has impressed itself into my skin and an ant clings desperately to me as I rise. Licking my lips, I taste the sea wind’s gift. They are salty.
 

© 2008 JohnL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a wonderfully descriptive piece of writing.. so many wonderful phrases: 'scarlet pimpernel could send filigree threads amongst the yellowing base of the grasses?' // 'an ant clings desperately to me as I rise.'

You have THE eye.. nothing's missed.

Thank you, thank you for sharing. :-)
'

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow,

This sounds like Walt Whitman. An easy read full of incredible wordsmithing. It's as though the reader is there with you seeing everything you see.....just like Whitman had an incredible ability to pull off. Wonderful. Don't know how i missed this piece before.

Thanks John,

Markymark

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow.
That was incredible. Everything was so descriptive, and I love the ocean, so I love reading about it, I only have seen one a handful of times, but I'm fascinated with it.
It was such a short passage, but it made me feel like I was by the shore.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a wonderfully descriptive piece of writing.. so many wonderful phrases: 'scarlet pimpernel could send filigree threads amongst the yellowing base of the grasses?' // 'an ant clings desperately to me as I rise.'

You have THE eye.. nothing's missed.

Thank you, thank you for sharing. :-)
'

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
3 Reviews
Added on November 9, 2008

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing