A PSALM OF PRAISE

A PSALM OF PRAISE

A Poem by JohnL
"

Something I had to do.

"

 

A PSALM OF PRAISE
 
It was beneath a star-filled sky in Utah, a sky such as I had not seen since the blackout of World War 2 when Hitler’s bombing raids were at their worst that I wanted to write a psalm. That Sunday Morning. I had been to the Episcopal Church in Cedar City, South Utah then I had flown over the desert, the Canyon Country – Cedar Breaks, Kolob, Bryce, Zion et al, followed by Arizona and the Grand Canyon and all in a (very) light aircraft. I felt part of it. I had looked down on the Canyon Country, The Golden Circle, photographed the Grand Canyon, Green River, Colorado River, Powell Lake and the Rainbow Arch. Quite a bit of God’s handiwork in fact.   A full day then a drive up to Brian Head (11,300 feet alt.) where we were staying. The night was cold; the air crisp and clear. No light pollution blurred the visibility as we looked at the sky. Yes, I wanted to write a psalm. 
This is an experiment – the language that of the beautiful King James AV Bible – or as near as I can get to it. Feel free to comment and make suggestions:
 
In the morning rain, I will lift up my voice to The Lord
For He has made me glad, therefore shall I make the sounds of praise.
In the glory of the hills of light, my voice shall ascend unto Him;
In the darkness of the hills of night, so shall I also sing joyfully.
As the earth rings the sun, thus shall my praises rise,
Yea; even as the stars rotate, the night skies shall reflect my rejoicing.
Mighty mountains stand, in evidence of His greatness;
Awesome canyons’ echoes sing the depths of His Love;
Deserts reveal the wideness of His immense mercy;
Rivers and springs, the purity of His Grace.
Man is but a tiny thing, yet great within the compass of God’s love;
The universe joins nature in harmony, as space praises its Creator. 

© 2008 JohnL


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very beautiful, a true masterpiece. I love this and feel of kindred spirit. I have had many experiences like this throughout my years.
I find that the true praise of God. The total releasing of the heart to be filled with His presence in a state of praise is the most ecstatic wonderful moment of life. To in truth worship God is the pinnacle of all experience. Thank you for blessing me with such wonderful writing. May all who read it seek to know God with such abandon.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow! Amazingly beautiful. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Lovely! Simply lovely, and yes, I've been to Zion and Bryce and Kolob and all those Utah canyons. I've also spent an evening looking up at the glittering sky in Escalante, Utah. Made me write too . . . God is so simply amazing. Best vacation I ever had. Thank you for bringing those breathless-in-beauty images back to me. Flora.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Fascinating and a wonderful piece of insightful writing. I think you have capture the essence of the King James Bible beautifully.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very beautiful, a true masterpiece. I love this and feel of kindred spirit. I have had many experiences like this throughout my years.
I find that the true praise of God. The total releasing of the heart to be filled with His presence in a state of praise is the most ecstatic wonderful moment of life. To in truth worship God is the pinnacle of all experience. Thank you for blessing me with such wonderful writing. May all who read it seek to know God with such abandon.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

136 Views
4 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 8, 2008

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing