MYSELF

MYSELF

A Poem by JohnL
"

I hope this isn't as self-centred as the title would suggest. It is a genuine part of my life. One of the best decisions I ever made and retirement is sweet!

"

 

Myself
 
 
 
 
I am myself. Shall ever come the day
when I am forced to walk some other road,
That leads to thoughts and acts and times of grey,
installing in me some other’s action mode?
 
 
I am myself. I wonder shall I see
the day, when, looking at the overcast,
mere shadow ’gainst the drabness I shall be,
and individuality - - - - is past.
 
 
I am myself. Lord, grant that spreading field
shall never be reduced to furrow deep.
That life will ever broad, sweet vistas yield,
And I?  My ranging spirit long shall keep.
 
                                                J. L. Berry
 
 
 
 
 
 
Written in a Birmingham management meeting.   Listening to the discussion, it became obvious that we managers were being forced into a mould whence we should emerge as clones. We should be wearing the same suits, spouting the same jargon and quoting the same party line. The job previously handled by men would be done by boys, whose strings would be pulled from a central office and who would be paid buttons. Experience, knowledge, personality and business acumen would count for nothing. Conformity and unquestioning obedience would be all. I retired early with the comment, “You can employ a chimpanzee to do the job now and pay him bananas.” They did; and net profits slumped from 13% to 3%. On retiring, I was treated handsomely by my employer and cannot speak too highly of the kindness and understanding I was afforded, but the changes went ahead and the next to follow was my M.D. who contacted me later with the comment: "You were right"!
 
I am enjoying my broad sweet vistas as my spirit ranges free!

© 2008 JohnL


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"I am myself." And what else can one be?! If we treasure life and life is made of infinity of "self" we should stand up for what it was "given to us" (by the gods or by nature, as you like it!) and use our magic brain to think and participate and discuss and create beautiful things! Only like this we can all evolve!
lovely!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I approve. Many of us are forced into ways of behaving and thinking that suit others' expediency. Your poem reads like a prayer. And I am glad that you have had a good outcome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"I am myself." And what else can one be?! If we treasure life and life is made of infinity of "self" we should stand up for what it was "given to us" (by the gods or by nature, as you like it!) and use our magic brain to think and participate and discuss and create beautiful things! Only like this we can all evolve!
lovely!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Don't ever think you're being too self-centered! The idea of the individual self has been celebrated (Walt Whitman knew this - what better line to start his "Song of Myself" than: "I celebrate myself") and reflected on for centuries long before either of us existed - it's a noble topic and one that SHOULD be speculated on - "The unexamined life is not worth living," proclaims Socrates - I think we should listen to him.

I love your speculation of your self and it's made even clearer and more wonderful by the account of your retirement! I'm so glad you included it. Serves them right for letting you go and trying to cookie-cut their way through business! It can't be done - more power to you for recognizing that.

As for the poem itself, I do have some critiques (don't I always?):

- I see what you're going for with the first line and how you need "day" to be at the end to complete the rhyme but "shall ever come the day" is a bit of an awkward and confusing way to start off the poem, especially after your strong, simple declaration - "I am myself." Perhaps "I cast away the day" or "dare I defy the day" or something similar?

- The word "installing" (line 4) makes me think of a computer harddrive, and I doubt that that's how you see yourself. Perhaps "instilling" instead?

- I believe there should be some form of punctuation after "I wonder" (line 5) and (perhaps this is just a preference thing) the comma before "when" (line 6) should be nixed. Perhaps, also, the comma after "overcast" should be changed to something stronger, like a colon. The comma after "be" (also line 6) seems to slow down the movement, too, so you might want to get rid of it. (Sorry to get so technical - I'm a punctuation junkie when it comes to poetry!)

- I love the last stanza the best - it's a great testement to your individuality! Why not end it in an exclaimation point to signify how thrilling it is to be marching to your own drum?

Of course, I'm not sure how you'd make these changes if the site is being silly to you. Perhaps you should repost a second draft of this? Wonderful job as usual!

~ Emily Rose


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 16 Years Ago


Here is a toast to individuality! Bravo, live free or die!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
4 Reviews
Added on July 7, 2008
Last Updated on September 22, 2008
Previous Versions

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing