Ch. 4: Star Watchers

Ch. 4: Star Watchers

A Chapter by It's XPert

I sighed, then turned to find the Prince sitting at a little oak table. The cabin was warmly lit, a woven rug on the floor and a candle on the stand. There were no windows.

“Come, sit down.” He waved his hand invitingly.


I took my seat bashfully and stared at him, ears twitching uncomfortably. He smiled. “Care for some tea?” Illesior asked.

I nodded and poured myself a cup, then sipped it.

As I was drinking it, Illesior stared at me closely, deep in thought. “I never thought I’d see the day when an albino would be born,” He murmured. “Much less one without magic. The gods have been kind to us.”

I set my cup aside and leaned forward. “What do you mean?” I asked. “What’s so special about me? I’m pretty much useless.”


Illesior chuckled softly and lifted my head with his velvet ebony paw. “Aven, do you happen to know how we are given magic?”

At first I was confused, but then I remembered what Abarin had told me, years ago. “Is it Dukalis’ Spell Book?”


His eyes widened, clearly surprised. “I didn’t expect you to know the Ancient Mage’s name, Aven. Color me impressed. But yes, you are correct. The Father of the Black Manes’ book is what gives us all magic, from the day we are born.” But then he narrowed his eyes thoughtfully. “But, tell me… how do you know the name of Dukalis?”


“My… my father Abarin would tell us the stories of how Aetyria came to be.” I replied.


“Ah. Isn’t Abarin Elsgard the one white mane who left Aetryia to go sailing over the East Horizon?” Illesior asked, rather condescendingly. “You know, conspiracy to leave the island is considered treason. I do hope you aren’t considering following in the steps of your father someday.”

My face turned red. “N-no, of course not,” I stammered. “But I had no idea my father was considered a criminal. Everyone around where I come from see him as an outcast and a dreamer without a cause. A lost cause, if you will.”


“Good girl.” He purred, looking a little more relaxed as he leaned back in his chair. “I wouldn’t want a rarity like you to die so soon. If you were any other aetyr, I would have you dead purely for being a relative of his.”


“If I may ask, sir, you never answered my original question,” I pressed, feeling a bit indignant. “Why is my lack of magic so important to you? Is it purely because I’m an anomaly, and you want me as a pet? Or am I actually useful?”


Illesior laughed. “Oh, if you had magic, the first would be true.” I blushed, embarrassed. “But since you are both an albino AND magicless, you are clearly a useful tool to the Royal Darkdawn family. For one, we always had a Bookkeeper. They would guard the Spell Book and make sure it wouldn’t be tampered with. But it was always a Black Mane with a lesser magic than others, relying on pure strength to protect their craft. The problem with that is the fact that their own magic would sometimes disrupt the magic waves from the book, and it would cause a bit of trouble.”

 “What kind of trouble?” I asked.


Illesior’s face darkened. “If the magic waves were disrupted, sometimes it would cause a newborn aetyr to… become a monster. They would gain too much magic, despite the color of their manes. We would either banish them to Dragon’s Reach or kill them ourselves. The few times we let them live among us was when a great disaster would strike.” He shook his head slowly. “That was how the King died, and how my two brothers passed. Now my Mother is Queen, and I am heir.”


I shuddered. Abarin never told us any of this. But then again, he might not have known about it. Gatesborn really didn’t get much news, after all.


“...May I ask what happened to the most recent Bookkeeper, assuming they are dead?” I inquired softly.

Illesior’s eyes brightened. “Oh, yes, he’s dead,” He replied a little too happily. “He was driven insane by the magic in the Book and killed himself. But that won’t happen to you, my dear. You have no magic!”

“...GREAT,” I groaned, feeling uneasy. “You better not be lying, sir. I didn’t accept your deal just to get out of the frying pan and fall into the fire, you know.”


“Oh, I doubt anything will happen to you, Aven. You are quite the lucky star.”

He twitched his ears and grinned. “Would you like to join me to see the night sky? I’ve heard it is far more beautiful without the canopy or firelight present.”

I shrugged. “I’ll oblige.”


We both stood, and Illesior blew out his candle sitting on the table before taking his leave. Outside on the deck, all the aetyrim were standing, talking with one another. The firelight was still ablaze, and when I looked to the sky I couldn’t tell whether or not the canopy was still present.

Illesior lifted his paw, and all the aetyrim suddenly went silent.

“Snuff out the flames.” The Prince ordered.

Assistants from the Capital ran about, extinguishing the flames until only one was left. Illesior walked over softly and drew his paw towards the last flame and closed in his fingers around it.

Then everything went dark. At least, for only a few seconds. Then I heard a few gasps of awe echo from the deck.


The undergrowth gave way to a vast expanse of meadows and fields, letting us see miles upon miles of land in the distance, no ocean to be seen and all of it illuminated only by the shining stars above. The sky was a deep, vibrant indigo, the constellations engraved upon the heavenly slate like precious gems set in dark stone.


As the aetyrim around me were whispering excitedly and marveling at the scene around them, I looked up at Illesior. He smiled. “Are the stars different from the ones in Gatesborn?”


I shook my head. “The difference is the way you perceive them.”

Just then Arius and Strubin came up to me. “Aven, look at the sky!” Strubin yapped. “I can see so much farther than back at Gatesborn.”

“The ocean is gone,” Arius added quietly, staring into the distance. “I suppose we really are far from home.”


Illesior looked at them rather unkindly but said nothing, only motioning me to look to the front of the ferry. “Up ahead, you can see the lights of the Capital. We are still far from reaching it, but the radiance of it all is visible for miles around.”

I followed his gaze and sure enough, I could see at the edge of the horizon a multitude of golden lights, gleaming in the distance.


“How far are we from the Capital, sir?” I asked him after a moment.

“About a few hours up river. The first rays of dawn will welcome us there.” Illesior didn’t take his gaze away from the lights ahead.


For a long while afterwards, everyone was merry and gazing to the stars, exchanging words about how beautiful it all was. I can’t really recall how long I stood there, dreaming about the Capital and the wonders there, but something stuck in the back of my mind. Illesior’s words about the Order of Bookkeeper made me uneasy.


Eventually I grew drowsy and rubbed my eyes sleepily. “Prince Illesior, I can’t stay awake for much longer,” I yawned, leaning on the handrail. “Where do I sleep?”

The prince looked at me, amusement filling his dark face. “Head back into the cabin. There’s a sofa in there for you to rest on. I’ll send someone to wake you when we arrive at the Capital.”


“Right. Thanks, sir.” I turned to Strubin and Arius sleepily. “Are you going to sleep as well?”

Arius shrugged. “I might.” Meanwhile Strubin shook his head. “I’m too excited to sleep.”

I nodded. “Well, you do you, I guess. I’ll see you in a few hours, ‘kay?”

I turned from them and went to the cabin once more, shutting the door behind me. All of a sudden I was enveloped in darkness, and I let out a quiet curse. I had forgotten that there were no lights in here. “Sol’s wounds,” I swore.


I felt around, trying to find the sofa Illesior had mentioned. Instead I felt something warm and sticky. Confused, I lifted my paw to my nose and sniffed it. Tea. I had stuck my paw in my leftover cup of tea.

I groaned, another curse leaving my mouth as I stumbled over the table and fell into a soft cushion. Close enough.


I felt around and figured that I finally made it to the sofa, so I curled up and closed my eyes wearily.


 ______________________________________________________



“Aven! Aven, wake up!”

“Huh? What?”

I sat up, rubbing my ear drowsily. “Where am I? Am I late for the shopkeeping watch?”

“What? No.” My eyes cleared and I saw Strubin standing in front of me. The door was slightly ajar and a faint light shone through. “Aven, we’re here.”

“Where’s here?” I stood shakily and yawned. He blinked. “Just follow me. It’s amazing.” Then he gave me a funny look. “Also, why were you sleeping on the bear rug?”


“Huh?” I looked behind me and felt my face grow hot. “Um… that’s not a question for me.”

Strubin chuckled and opened the door. Outside, it was still dark, but a faint streak of magenta laid across the horizon. But instead of a vast expanse of meadows, I could see houses dotted here and there on the landscape.

My heart leaped and I raced to the front of the ferry, then gasped. In the distance behind us, the sun was beginning to rise, dawn gently caressing the dark starry sky. And, in front of the ferry, I could see the rolling hills giving way to a great city, the sides of the palace at the center glowing bright in the warmth of the sunrise.


Around us, the river was wide, with many streams and other rivers shooting off from the main we were on; and boats were sailing to and from the city on the hill.


There it was. The Capital.


Suddenly Vrotaz appeared, and he gave a great bellow from his trumpet.

“My fellow aetyrim!” He declared. “Today is the day where you will no longer live as worthless, undermined peasants! You are all now esteemed soldiers, officials, and loyal servants of the Darkdawn family, and citizens of The Capital! Raise your voices now, and rejoice! TO THE GODS!”


The aetyrim on the boat all gave a loud cheer, and the roar they let out could be heard for miles around. It was one of joy and hope, and a beautiful noise at that.


“TO THE GODS! TO THE GODS! THANKS TO THE GODS!”


“May your lives be forever that of pride, wealth, and longevity!” Vrotaz called.


“TO THE GODS!”


“May your magic bring peace and power to the land of Aetryia!”


“TO THE GODS!”


“And may the Seven Lords be with you always and forevermore!”


“TO THE GODS!”





© 2024 It's XPert


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on June 21, 2024
Last Updated on June 21, 2024