The Foam Between Our Fingers

The Foam Between Our Fingers

A Story by Jenna

It was raining, the type of rain that comes on suddenly and drenches you. I tucked my chin under the collar of my coat and made a mad dash for the cafe. Inside I'm greeted by the comforting smell of coffee roasting and steamed milk. To my left there's a lady sipping an espresso and tapping away on her laptop. The cafe is pretty much empty. 
"Hi may I help you?" I wipe rain drops out of my eyelashes. A girl with the deepest red hair I've ever seen is smiling at me from behind the counter. 
"Oh yes. I would like a Hazelnut Vanilla Latte with a shot of Pumpkin and whipped cream. Large." I say fumbling around in my coat pocket for my wallet. 
"Great that will be 5.25." She says. I look up and notice a smattering of freckles across her nose. Which is a contrast to her milk colored skin. I avert my gaze and hand her a ten. 
"It should be just a couple of minutes. What was your name?" She asks handing me back my change. 
"Sahara."
Her lips quirk up. "Pretty name. It matches your features."
"Sorry?" I ask confused as to what she meant. She pours milk into a blender. 
"Well you have tan skin, black hair and hazel eyes. The name is exotic, Eastern just like how you look."
I can feel blood rushing to my cheeks. Not sure why I'm embarrassed. I've always felt unsure about my name. Some days I like, some days I don't. But she hit the nail on the head. Mom is from Morocco. She's good. 
After waiting around a couple of minutes she brings me,  my drink. 
"One Hazelnut Vanilla Latte with pumpkin and whipped cream." She says smiling at me. I smile back. 
"What was your name?" I asked her partly out of curiosity and to be polite. 
"Fern." She says wiping down her area. 
"That's a cool name. Unique." 
"My mom was an aspiring Botanist." she tucks a few stray red strands behind her ear. 
"She isn't anymore?" I asked between sips of my latte. Tasty. She did a great job. 
"No, she kills everything. What is the opposite of a green thumb? Black?"
Funny. Fern has a quick sense of humor. I felt warm and not just from the coffee. They say good conversation can make you feel warm. 
Tucking my wallet back in my pocket I say "Well I guess she grew one thing beautifully." I smile and head toward the door. 
Fern was wiping down the counter with a glow, like a plant thriving in the sunlight. Feeling like I have just spent a day in a warm Spring breeze, I didn't even notice the rain still pouring down. 

© 2019 Jenna


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on August 11, 2014
Last Updated on February 8, 2019
Tags: love, cafe, coffee

Author

Jenna
Jenna

Pensacola, FL



About
more..

Writing
Oblivious Oblivious

A Poem by Jenna


Antidote Antidote

A Poem by Jenna


Your Your

A Poem by Jenna