The Islands in the Sky

The Islands in the Sky

A Story by Awaken the Sleepwalker

The Islands in the Sky. The people with wings. It is called Fyeleah. For the longest time they have abided there. They don't know about the world below them, nor do the beings that live beneath know of the sky dwellers. There are five islands, but no one person rules them all. However, there is one person that is known in all regions of the archipelago. That is the elder man, Alem. Some say he has been there since the islands were formed, but most know better. He is wise and rational. He is the only one that has prevented war from breaking out in the islands. He monitors trade from the islands that are dense with food and vegetation to the ones that have hardly any, but assures that those people give something in return, livestock, science, or other resources.
You can tell a lot about people by their wings. Wings are the materialization of their emotions. Someone who is high in spirits my have bright wings. They may appear to have streamers or sparkles. While, this is very different from the appearance of someone who is disconsolate. Their wings would be dark and dull. They droop and would not carry them high into the sky, like most others.
Like all creatures, to stay alive, they must bear children. They nurture their children just like the humans beneath them, on earth. They rear them to be wonderful people, mirror images of themselves. Their wings almost always resemble each others, almost like a built in family tree. It is a way to label them. It gives them their social class.
Now all babies are born with their wings. That's the way it has been for as long as they can remember. They just grow and mature at the same rate the child does.
It was a dark day when Anteaus was born. It threw the hospital into a panic. And it spread quickly that a baby without wings had been born. His mother, Takhi, cried all night. His father was nowhere to be found after the incident. Many people think he killed himself. It was the hospital's duty to take care of the babe ad make sure it was healthy. Out of all the children, he seemed to be the strongest. He began eating on his own withing the hour. He hardly cried, but when he did, it was made well known that his lungs were fit. He wasn't jaundice like most babies when they are born. His cheeks portrayed a healthy pink tint to them, and his eyes were wide and the deepest blue that had been witnessed in ages. Despite this, they wouldn't go near the baby, unless need be.
Soon, the elder was called to local village. He had traveled from the other side of the archipelago. But when he saw the baby, even his face displayed an uncomfortable grimace. For earlier when I said none of the sky dwellers knew of the people beneath, I lied. The elder was so wise beyond his years that he knew. He had seen the flying contraptions that let them soar almost as high in the skies as the sky dwellers themselves. He knew what this baby would evolve into, and, that the baby didn't belong here by any means

© 2010 Awaken the Sleepwalker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like your writing, but I would have like more closure at the end. I got that he was going to grow up into an evil greedy human with none of the elevated morals of the sky people, but I could easily be wrong. My assumption is further discredited by the fact that earlier you said they raised their children just like the people below to be good wonderful people. The ending didn't give me the satisfying result I was hoping for with the wingless baby, but this could be a great story with a clearer ending.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a capturing story! I find it easy to imagine.

It's definitely good material, but it could be developed in a better way.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like your writing, but I would have like more closure at the end. I got that he was going to grow up into an evil greedy human with none of the elevated morals of the sky people, but I could easily be wrong. My assumption is further discredited by the fact that earlier you said they raised their children just like the people below to be good wonderful people. The ending didn't give me the satisfying result I was hoping for with the wingless baby, but this could be a great story with a clearer ending.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 8, 2010
Last Updated on June 8, 2010

Author

Awaken the Sleepwalker
Awaken the Sleepwalker

Boonsboro, MD



About
I'm a sophomore in college, and I'm an English major, aspiring to be a high school English teacher. I'd love to use that at an outlet for my writing as well. I've been writing for a while, and I've ha.. more..

Writing