Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace

A Story by Vivian
"

Music does more than you think

"

                How sweet the sound was in the bright of day. How sweet it made his wounds heal. How sweet that it brought him back home. That was what he heard, the gentle rhythms that sailed along with his heartbeats. It was a sound so pure that he was sure it was given from the One above.

                A sound…so guiding that it saved him from the tangled bushes that clouded his mind and home�"I was lost, but then found, he thought, boarding the city train. Twirling his iron necklace between his fingers, he kept his ears on alert. No matter where he was, the music only grew stronger but never closer. Where could my saver have gone?

                He had to admit; he was never one to follow music�"unless it was rock�"but this one really opened his eyes. For the first time in weeks�"months even�"he’d seen who he really was: an old dude just trying to make a living. The smooth hands from being a dishwasher, the tired arms of a builder, and the nightly tiredness of taking care of his brother’s failing health. For the first time, his mind finally made sense to him.

                His heart felt better as he searched for the music. It felt lighter…stronger even. He felt that he could do anything, but he also felt a steady measure of responsibility on his sore shoulders. He was never one to believe in anything�"including Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. But, hearing the music spurred a sudden light bulb in his heavy heart. A few months back, a very wise friend had told him something he wouldn’t forget.

                “There’s always someone walking side-by-side with you throughout your life. In your case, someone’s been carrying you over the tragedy that’s been happening recently. You should be thankful, Gil.”

                Weird as the statement was, now, he finally understood what his friend was trying to tell him all along. You’re so stupid! Why didn’t you see it coming before? He thought, walking to the nearby church. For the first time in years, he was going to visit one. Before, he always felt uneasy entering the holy building. They’ll make fun of my red eyes, he always told himself�"but they were just excuses. They’ll think of me as some freak. A monster…

                Gulping nervously, he pushed open the creaky wooden doors and plowed in. The music was even stronger in here�"well, there was a pianist here too. He made sure to walk extra quietly so the pianist wouldn’t notice him. As he did, he glanced around at the colorful windows and warm cheeriness the building�"no, atmosphere�"was providing.

                A fourth wall seemed to have broken through to him. He felt more open-minded, peaceful, and happier than he’d ever felt before. A smile stretched over his old lips as he strolled over to the pianist�"a young teen, no older than thirteen. Glancing down at their music sheet, he saw the title of the song.

                Amazing Grace, he mouthed, rolling the words like candy. He wondered if he should tap the boy’s shoulder or clear his throat or say something, but his heart told him to appreciate the silence and music. Twiddling his thumbs, he sat next to the boy.

                “Um, that’s a real pretty piece you’re playing there, son.”

                The boy didn’t say anything but finished the song. Cracking his knuckles and straightening his music, he turned and said, “I hope you’re free, Mister. The song was for you.”

                “Oh, I never had someone play a song for me before? Danke,” he mumbled.

                “Your brother’s going to get better soon, Gilbert,” the boy smiled, handing Gil a pretty cross. “You’ve saved him.”

© 2014 Vivian


Author's Note

Vivian
Ignore grammar problems, what do you think, and how well did i do on this? I created *this* in ten minutes.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on April 12, 2014
Last Updated on April 12, 2014
Tags: Hetalia, Fanfiction, Gilbert, Roderich

Author

Vivian
Vivian

About
I play the viola, a Mythbuster's fan, play bit of the piano, and my favorite subjects are history and science. My fanfiction.net account is Ideas265 and my Deviantart account is ideas265artist http.. more..

Writing
Moving On Moving On

A Story by Vivian


Friendship Friendship

A Story by Vivian