Chapter 16: A new life

Chapter 16: A new life

A Chapter by Helen


Helen entered the room where the meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous was being held. She knew she needed help, but had it really come to this? Someone handed her a cup of tea in a dirty cup, and lovingly directed her to a seat next to a small woman with grey hair. 

“I'm Mary” the woman announced to her, smiling in a way Helen didn’t understand. “Welcome! I hope you find what you are looking for.” 

More and more people filtered into the small room, greeting each other, and sending hellos in Helen's direction, before falling silent and looking expectantly towards the front of the room. A clear-eyed man sat at the table ahead of her, appearing to be in charge. The meeting started and he spoke. 

“Good evening” he said, “My name is Michael, and I am an alcoholic.” 

Something stirred inside Helen, and she faintly heard a long forgotten voice. She sat very still as the man continued speaking, turning her attention inwards and listening very hard. 

“Garsoon!” said the voice within her that she had not heard for so long, “There is a young spirit who lives within that man, and his name is Garsoon!” 

Emotion welled up in Helen, and it poured out down her cheeks. She had no difficulty recognising the voice, despite how long it had been since she had heard it. “We are here,” said Leana, “We have always been here, and we always will be. Pay attention now, dear Helen, pay attention to the meeting, and to what is on offer here.” 

And Helen turned her attention back to the meeting, and back to the world, and she found that it had changed, and that she had been given a new life. Eventually she approached one of the old-timers, asking for help. The deeply spiritual, grandmotherly woman responded with love, and with the necessary discipline and patience, and she shone the light on many of the things that Helen needed to know. 

Helen never had to walk the path alone; all the love she needed was available to her, and she found that she also had an abundance of love to give. Sisters, and friends, and mothers surrounded her. Her spirit children were ever-present; she could feel Leana’s enthusiasm and Wounded Child’s pain driving her forward. And when her life became intertwined with Michael’s, she was never really sure if it was because of the man, or because of the small boy that lived within him. 



© 2021 Helen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

9 Views
Added on January 3, 2021
Last Updated on January 4, 2021
Tags: fairy story, personal growth. healing, addiction, alcoholism, childhood trauma, recovery


Author

Helen
Helen

Luton, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom



About
When I joined WritersCafe, I originally posted the poems I had written as part of my personal healing journey - childhood trauma to alcoholism to recovery. I wasn't sure if my writing would be of inte.. more..

Writing
Lost Souls Lost Souls

A Poem by Helen


Life and Soul Life and Soul

A Poem by Helen