Transmission

Transmission

A Story by Heatnix
"

An Alternate Universe story about Heatnix. After having been caught between two worlds for a long time, he is able to make his way to his true home.

"

The pain ripped through him like a wildfire. It was like nothing he’d ever felt before. So violent, so agonizing…the worst part was the sense of permanence, like nothing could ever comfort him again after this was over. Emotion after emotion ran through him as the pain ripped his body from his life…

Is this what it’s like to be free? I’ve been caught between the two worlds for so long…I didn’t know existing in only one would hurt so much…But which one will I end up in? Which side is real, my true home? The one I’ve known my entire life? Or the one I’ve only just discovered?

These thoughts raced through Heatnix’s head. He didn’t know how much longer he could take the pain of being fully pulled into one world. For longer than it even seemed now, he had been constantly pulled between the two worlds, only a shadow of his complete self at any given time in each world. He was never able to fully experience either place, just as neither was able to fully contain him. He was glad it was finally going to end, for he knew it was exactly what he needed. But the ever-consuming pain of fully manifesting in only one world for the first time in ages was tearing him apart from the inside, and he knew that when all was said and done, he would miss the world he had to leave behind…

The world he was born in was obviously the one he’d become most familiar with. It was the only place he’d ever fully existed in, when he was younger. Here were the members of his family, his job, school, and basically the normal aspects of his life. It was a unique world to behold, full of cities, and completely populated, though Heatnix often found he did not like many of the people who lived there. He was constantly seen as an outsider here, his motives and even the essence of his self never truly understood by any of the residents of this world. To them, he was always a mystery, and to him, most of them were fools. Indeed, this world was far from perfect, but he loved it, it was where his life had always been. He had hopes and dreams here, and until recently, he really didn’t see anything wrong with it…

In recent years, he had become aware of the other world. In this world, he was given something he’d never had in the world of his birth: friends. For the first time in his life, he knew people he could share anything with, who would understand him and accept him for who he was. Naturally, all friendships are flawed, but here they were different. It was as though he could truly trust these friends. And this world’s beauty was beyond compare. It was a supernatural world, untouched by civilization, unspoiled by the corruption that ran rampant in his home world. The beauty of nature was everywhere here, it was a part of the people. People were capable of incredible feats in this world that would have been thought of as foolish flights of fancy in the old world. This place was far less populated, however. In fact, it seemed that very rarely did he come across a person in this world who was not one of his close friends. The main downsides were that this world was large and unfamiliar to him, and when he did manifest here, he was often alone…

Just before the change had begun, before he knew that he would fully be realized in only one world again, Heatnix’s family had been with him in the old world. Not just his family, but acquaintances and old lovers as well. More specifically, his most recent lover was the first one to notice what was going on, and her tears flowed as the blinding lights wracked his body with immeasurable pain. From what he could tell before his senses left him, many were indifferent to his plight and went on with their days.

Now, he was in darkness. His sight and hearing were still drowned out by the pain. Still he could not stop the questions flowing through his mind like a torrential flood. Where would he end up? Who would be there when he finally finished becoming whole again? A part of him was excited about being whole again, rather than what was essentially a shadow. He wanted those he loved to be with him when he achieved completion. If he were to be alone, especially after all this pain, it would almost not be worth being whole. He could very well die from it.

Though he could not see them, the lights must have been blinding. Though he could not hear them, his screams must have been deafening. The pain…would it ever stop?

Silence. Darkness. Pain. For what seemed like an eternity, this was all Heatnix knew.

All at once, he hit the ground hard. His senses were still overloaded, but the pain was quickly subsiding…it was over. He was whole again.

As he lay face-down on the ground, he felt alone until a comforting hand touched his shoulder. It was as though a lifeline had been thrown to him, a sign that he was home. He lay that way for a long while, wondering whose hand had touched him.

When he finally opened his eyes, he immediately knew where he was. He was atop a tall hill, looking down upon an endless green ocean of trees. A blanket of grass lay below him. Above him was the infinite night sky. The mere sight of nature told him that he was in the world of his friends, the place where he had felt more like himself. He felt a pang of grief, and wept, realizing that he would never again see the world of his birth or any of the people that lived there. As his tears flowed, the hand on his shoulder gripped tighter to comfort him.

Eventually, he was able to lift his gaze to see who had been there with him, the one who had ensured that he would be alright. As he lifted his head, he saw a beautiful pair of brown eyes and immediately recognized their owner: Tenshi. He could see tears in her eyes; she had been crying, watching the agony of his manifestation. She wore glasses, and her straight brown hair draped down over her shoulders. A loose, long-sleeved black t-shirt and jeans adorned her body. She began to help him to his feet, and he embraced her. He was so happy to have someone there, especially her. For a long time they held each other silently, taking in what had just happened.

Heatnix had known Tenshi for the last couple years now. She had first appeared during a difficult period of his life and remained a loyal friend to him. During the time they had known each other, he had developed feelings for her, he had to admit. But never being able to truly be anywhere, he did not feel that he could ever be with her.

It was a long time before Tenshi spoke first. “You’re really here. I can touch you, see all of you. Even smell you.” She took in his scent for the first time. “I can’t believe you’re really here. For good.”

“I can’t either,” he said. He almost didn’t recognize the sound of his true voice. He looked over her head to the world around him, through the vast night sky toward the stars and the full moons. He closed his eyes once again. “At long last…I’m finally home.” He whispered into her ear, “Thank you for guiding me here.”

Tenshi pulled away and stared into Heatnix’s eyes. She’d never seen him fully complete before; it had been ages since anyone had. Before, he’d seemed pale and somewhat featureless. Now, she could see that his skin was slightly darker than hers, and even make out small details, like the faint scar across his forehead. His brown hair was shaggy, but still somewhat short. She liked his eyes, a unique shade of hazel that faded from a light brownish color in the center to a pale green around the outside of his irises. He had materialized wearing only a pair of jeans, no shoes or shirt. For some time, she had had a crush on Heatnix, but was afraid to tell him.

The two felt drawn to each other. Heatnix put his hand on Tenshi’s cheek. They closed their eyes as their lips met for the first time. It was a soft, but long, deep kiss, the first of its kind he’d ever really been able to experience. It was something both had wanted before, but never expressed to each other.

Heatnix broke the kiss as a chilling wind blew across his back. He held Tenshi tight, both out of emotion and need for warmth. As he did, he heard swift footsteps. With the speed of the wind, a thin boy with curly black hair appeared at the top of the hill. An even thinner, but shorter boy with brown hair was not far behind. These were Heatnix’s best friends, Shiro and Xenith. At first, they seemed concerned by whatever disturbance had caused the lights and screams from earlier. But they smiled as they, too, saw Heatnix fully complete for the first time. They embraced their surrogate brother with a hearty laugh.

With Tenshi leaning on Heatnix’s shoulder, the four sat and spoke of what had happened, and what would happen now. Their talk soon turned to the magic that each was capable of. “You know,” Shiro said. “Now that you’re here, you’ll be able to do magic, just like us. Care to give it a try?”

Heatnix held up his right hand and concentrated. He felt warmth and a tingle as raw magic danced across his fingertips. He knew the form his magic would take. With a smile and a kiss to Tenshi’s forehead, Heatnix stood and raised his hand above his head, pushing the magic from his body and setting the night sky ablaze with dancing crimson light. The others smiled and laughed at the new display of Heatnix’s inner self. The stream of fire burned high into the sky, threatening even to burn the stars themselves. Heatnix of Flame had been born.

Releasing the flame, Heatnix fell back into the grass and laughed a deep, full, meaningful laugh that echoed from all three of the moons in the night sky. As Tenshi moved closer to him, he pulled her tight, kissing her on the cheek. As he stroked her hair, he thanked God that his torment was finally over.

Being caught between two worlds had caused a difficult life for Heatnix. But now he was eternally grateful to finally be where he belonged, in his true and final home…

© 2008 Heatnix


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
I find it hard to understand what is going on: who is Heatnix?

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

Heatnix
Heatnix

Jonesboro, AR



About
Where to start? I'm a 21-year-old student/writer. I'm a bit of a pyromaniac, with a blatant fascination with swords and ninja (which is apparent in my writing). More than anything, I'm just pretty la.. more..

Writing
Echo Echo

A Story by Heatnix