Cloud in the Dessert

Cloud in the Dessert

A Story by Anthony Schadegg
"

My attempt at a happy story, following a cloud as they provide rain to the dessert

"

Water in the Desert


I’m a cloud, currently flying through the sky. I swish up and up again, I need to prepare! Yet again, I get to make a trip to the surface and rain! But finally, FINALLY after about 2 years, I got the privilege of raining in the desert. I can help keep the surrounding plants and animals alive for a while longer! Oh, the new paths I get to lay forth for new life! Could anyone contain this energy?!

As I shoot down from the sky, I am able to take up a spot on the ground to create a puddle. A hot air soon blows the yellow sand across me as I take in a spot I’ve been in only once before. I take a distant glance at the whistling tumbleweeds, but soon turn my attention away. I can only try to help new life sprout, not bring back the dead. So however small and dusty I am, I begin to help the birds, lizards, and any other traveling animals that may arrive. When they spotted me, their eyes kept widening bigger and bigger. I’m certain they would’ve drool at the site if they weren't so dehydrated! But instead of inhaling me, they usually take slow sips so they can share with surrounding friends. I’m finally able to give their tongues a moment of mercy before they continue forward!

The next step is to create a small stream for the plants. Trickling down to the nearest cactus, it slurps me right up, leaving me only half the size I was before! But, this act was able to successfully feed itself using my body. So in the end, this completes the next stage of my plan! This project comes to a close as I begin to boil. I grow smaller and screech out a deafening whistle. As steam rises into the air, I form into a big, fluffy ball of water and have no choice but to complete my trip. 

As I travel to the next location, I look at the endless dunes before me, and watch as the cactus starts to sprout bright, velvet fruits! The bugs of the desert quickly swarm the cactus and soon devour the plants, becoming bloated and sleepy. With my plan completed, I have helped all, and I can now fly to the next far off land. In the next two years, new plants and animals will arrive, and you can guarantee I’ll be back again! 


© 2024 Anthony Schadegg


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on September 13, 2024
Last Updated on September 13, 2024

Author

Anthony Schadegg
Anthony Schadegg

Steamboat, CO



About
Publised an autobiography in my 2nd year of high school and have been working on short stories sense. I now want to share them as I develop a my own mythology and plans to particpare in NaNoWrimo in n.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5