The Girl with the Critter Hat

The Girl with the Critter Hat

A Story by Green Mist
"

A story inspired by a past romance. "You came like the cold and I leave like the wind. Your hand was warm and my heart was too." -GWTCH

"

“Every man for himself,” stated President Fargo Wilson Jade the day of the beginning of the World War of Annihilavia, when the world began its collapse...

I noticed my house was certainly not the only tragic victim of this mysterious force. The neighborhood, as far as my eyes could behold, was unconditionally desolated and chaotic. Children lie lifeless on the curbs of the street, devastated parents either hopelessly searching for them or crouching by their side, hands on their faces, tears streaming like vivacious rivers. Bicycles and cars lay about on the street, idle and abandoned while individuals or groups of panicked people choose to walk or run to avoid traffic jams and collisions with other unwary drivers. Birds have stopped chirping, as if they knew the environment was just too dull and unworthy of their beautiful melodies. Vultures hover above in the gray skies, cawing like a group of savage hunters would shout upon a successful catch, as if rejoicing a new-found wealth. The sun appears black now behind an inscrutable cloud of heavy, porous ash. The sky now harvests a scene of melancholic sorrow, blanketing an earth full of adversity. Ear stifling screams and outcries, perhaps of families just now discovering the doleful position of their now deceased loved-ones, are within range of hearing in every which way. “Why this, why now,” people seem to ask their consciences. Their pleads go unheard into the thick, bellicose air.

It is now close to dusk, the sun reaching its twilight hour. The suspense and disquietude of the environment is palpable, as if it breathes down the very finest hairs of my neck. Darkness now descends upon the light, more compellingly than ever before.

© 2014 Green Mist


Author's Note

Green Mist
If you'd like to read more of this short story I've been working on, let me know and I shall post from the beginning to current. Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on July 22, 2014
Last Updated on July 23, 2014

Author

Green Mist
Green Mist

Tampa, FL



About
I have a sincere passion for words. Some say that construction is designing buildings and putting them together; I like to think sentences are a little like buildings and that each word, even each tin.. more..

Writing
Focus Focus

A Poem by Green Mist