Hands off

Hands off

A Poem by Green
"

"
You have no hold on me
and I think I’ll get
a running start
before I leap
I was always straining
against a tether
that was never really there

© 2024 Green


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews



I bet that feels real good now that you've got that off your chest .. sometimes it takes a leap of faith to move forward .. there are far too many lemmings tho for my liking .. muchly enjoyed .. Neville

Posted 3 Months Ago


often times we think we are being held back by something when the reality is only in our minds. the only way to break free is to take a giant leap and challenge those imaginary restraints. liberation is a great feeling. this hits squarely in the gut.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Often we are our own greatest enemies in this world, sadly. I enjoyed this. The song "You Don't Own Me" also comes to mind as I read this...powerful piece in so limited words.

Posted 3 Months Ago


This little piece of brevity speaks volumes. It speaks to me of freedom. Being released from shackles. Taking a leap and flying. Nicely done.

Chris

Posted 3 Months Ago


Hands off indeed.
Remarkable short poem.
Many times the tethers we have are imposed ultimately only by ourselves, therefore we can break free.
Poetry should always be free and never have any chains in my opinion.
That is very well depicted in this work I think.
I enjoyed reading this poem, very much.
Take good care Green. 😃

Posted 3 Months Ago


Somehow I doubt this one is a reply to a personals ad. The speaker is laying down limits and telling people where to get off. The last three lines are interesting, though. They seem to indicate an inner resistance to involvement.

Posted 3 Months Ago


This seems to me as someone who's been criticized and lectured and is finally deciding to make a decision to branch out on her own.

Posted 3 Months Ago


This left a smile as the "visual" formed behind my eyes.

Posted 3 Months Ago


I like what this says, the only person holding you back, is you. Break that cord and fly on...nice one Green.

Oh, I couldn't help checking out what was going on below. Love the IDGAF category. : )

Posted 4 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

As someone who spent about 40 years as a logic designer, I have to remind you that to do your job a lot more was needed than saying, "I think I'll design things."

The thing we miss when we turn to writing poetry and fiction is that they offer degree programs in both. Would they do that if the skills they teach are optional?

Remember all the reports and essays they assigned in school? They did that because our future employers need nonfiction writing from us. So the only approach to writing that we learn is fact-based and author-centric, as is your current approach to poetry.

In this piece, you're talking to someone unknown about things unspecified. But what can that mean to a reader who just arrived?

Readers don't come to poetry to learn how someone they'll never meet is feeling, today. They want you to move THEM emotionally, which requires a very different approach.

Nonfiction explains and reports, It tells the reader, for example, that the speaker cried. But the poet makes the READER weep. And to do that requires the skills of the poet, not the engineer.

So...several suggestions:

First, grab a copy of Mary Oliver's, A Poetry Handbook (link just below). The lady is brilliant, and the book is filled with gems, like why we sometimes use the word rock and at others, stone, for the same thing.
https://yes-pdf.com/book/1596

For structured poetry, her, Rules For the Dance is highly regarded.

For an introduction to both structured poetry and the things about the flow of words that you've probably never noticeed, trot over to Amazon and look at the excerpt for Stephen Fry's, The Ode Less Traveled.

He may just get you playing with structured poetry, as he did me.

Hang in there, and keep on writing.

Jay Greenstein
Articles: https://jaygreenstein.wordpress.com/category/the-craft-of-writing/the-grumpy-old-writing-coach/
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@jaygreenstein3334



Posted 4 Months Ago


0 of 5 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by this poetry author.
Green

4 Months Ago

For someone who distributes criticism so regularly, you have proven rather inept at actually accepti.. read more
Zombified Spider

4 Months Ago

Have so propriety that gentlemen are supposed to! Green you slayed that! high five?

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 30, 2024
Last Updated on April 30, 2024

Author

Green
Green

AL



About
I'm living in the good ol' south of the US of A. Professionally, I'm an engineer and I guess that means I'm supposed to know things. I don't always. I write because I can, and because I can write word.. more..

Writing
Damage Damage

A Poem by Green


Enough Enough

A Chapter by Green


6/17/24 6/17/24

A Chapter by Green



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Awaken Awaken

A Poem by Lisasview