Diving with Doom

Diving with Doom

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 24

DIVING WITH DOOM

 

Nothing new nor strange happened during the night, that’s why the three decided to go diving. The doctor rented a Land Rover for the trip. They went to the cliff where Irving had had his first experience of being under the sea surrounding the island. The sea was crystal clear and seductive. Camette couldn’t avoid a shiver of fear.

“Are you cold or frightened?” asked Irving.

“If you’re frightened it’s better you stay here,” the doctor said.

“I’m not frightened,” Camette answered.

“We’re going to investigate the timbers of the ship,” the doctor said.

“They are old,” said Irving.

“I know. You’ll see what I mean.”

The three entered the timbers of the wrecked ship, each one carrying a powerful dive light. There were few fish present and the sun shone through the water above them. On being inside a galleon that had once been full of people, made them feel an insatiable curiosity. The doctor pointed to where he wanted them to go into. They swam until they arrived at a cabin that was blackened with grime. The doctor and Irving moved timbers and rocks, the sand went everywhere. Seeing that there was nothing interesting, they entered another cabin, and another, until a pair of crossed timbers attracted Camette’s attention. They entered, and both men dug in the sand and found a small but heavy, black chest. They returned to the surface with it.

“If anyone is watching us I’d prefer them not to see the chest,” said the doctor.

Camette removed her diving suit and covered the chest with it. Irving and the doctor copied her. It took them quite some time to get to the top of the cliff with the chest, but once there they placed it in the vehicle.

Aboard a launch that had arrived al bit later were Amanta and Jorge observing them through binoculars. At the same time Irving in the Land Rover was observing them. “Over there are our friends Amanta and Jorge,” he said.

“Leave them be, they haven’t seen our faces and neither have they seen what we have taken from the sea.”

 

Camette didn’t take her eyes off the chest until they were safe and sound in the doctor’s room.

They broke the lock and opened the chest. It was full of antique jewellery. Piece by piece the doctor emptied the chest. Amongst the collection there were antique chains of the kind that Amanta wore, rings, bracelets and earrings. They were perfect examples of XVII century silver and gold work any museum would be more than grateful to have in its possession. Camette held up to the light to see it better a heavy silver chain necklace from which hung a silver medallion the size of the palm of her hand. The border was engraved to represent waves enclosing a mosaic of lapis lazuli and turquoise for sea, and in the centre, taking up most of the space, a silver fish with the details carefully crafted. There was an ecstatic expression on her face. She had found what she had come for.  

Dr Doom didn’t miss the moment and made a decision to ensure that she wouldn’t go back home without it..

“These pieces have been put in the chest and then hidden down there. Look, every piece is clean when they should be covered in grime if they had belonged to the ship,” declared the doctor.

Irving tested the weight of each piece in his hands.

Camette said, “Not so long ago I read in a magazine dedicated to findings and articles about treasure lost in the sea. These beauties have been stolen and brought to the island, and when it’s convenient they get out one or two pieces and show them to those interested in buying and don’t ask questions about their origins. These people are normally private collectors.”

“How do you know all this?” Irving asked, surprised at this new facet of the young woman.

“Don’t forget in the antiques business it’s necessary to be on the alert for imitations and stolen goods. There exist many imitations of what is known as discovered treasure, and if there is any doubt about the authenticity of a piece, it’s analysed and tested to discover whether it’s real or fake.”

“Doctor, Camette said before that she thought that Amanta and Jorge were up to no good.”

“Don’t tell anyone at all about this,” the doctor said.

“The temple and the cave must have some connection,” said Camette.

“And where the plane crashed,  plus a point to the north-east of the island,” added the doctor.

“That’s where we met Filo,” said Irving.

“How interesting! Amanta and Jorge were in the distance when we went on an excursion,” said Camette.

“And the pilots’ disappearance?” asked Irving. “Where does that fit in?”

“Patience, what you must have is patience, and be very careful,” the doctor finished.

 

Camette invited Irving to have something to eat with her, “Let’s go and find something out about the dead man.”

“I don’t think they’ll tell us anything interesting.”

“I’m sure the poor wretch had something to do with Amanta and Jorge.”

“Let’s go for a swim in the swimming pool,” suggested Irving.

“You’re mad! We’ve spent nearly all day in water,” groaned Camette.

Nevertheless she let herself be persuaded by Irving to go to the swimming pool. There was nobody at the pool and there were very few people in the garden. Irving and Camette got into the water and were floating on their backs, “I’ve got an idea,” Camette said. “I think that the deceased entered here by way of something similar to that used by Amanta and Jorge in the temple.”

“Let’s go down and have a look.”

The interior of the swimming pool was covered with slippery tiles and in the deepest part the water looked an intense and artificial blue, very different from the sea. At the bottom there was a drain that was closed, but it wasn’t large enough for a man to pass through. Camette rose to the surface and began to swim around looking for another possibility. In the wall of the pool directly under the diving boards there was a round metal door. At first sight it appeared to be nothing more than a place where water entered. And if it weren’t? The door was in the perfect place, no one swam in that part of the pool due to how dangerous it was if someone dived off a board and hit them. Camette made a sign to Irving and they examined it together. Both of them swam to the surface.

“I’m sure that was where he entered,” said Camette wrapping herself in a beach towel.

“How can we manage to get a plan of the hotel or at least of the swimming pool?”

“The manager? In reception?”

“The manager! He might be one of them,” said Irving.

“And he might not. Are you going to tell the doctor about this?”

“It’s better that there be no secrets between us.”

“You don’t say! That man knows more than he tells us. Let’s go and see him if that is what you want,” complained Camette.

“We have to find a stronger relationship between the drowned man and the married couple, before going to see the doctor,” Irving said. “We have to eliminate possibilities. First. Where is the dead man going to be buried?”

“Why do you want to know?”

“If he’s an islander he’ll be buried here, if not, someone will have to take responsibility for the corpse and its removal to its country of origin.”

“The manager will know all about this,” said Camette, “Wait here. I want to go and get changed.”

“Me too.”

Half an hour later both of them clean, neat and tidy went down to the receptionist’s desk. Straightaway Irving got into conversation with the young man on afternoon duty, “By the way, has the drowned man been identified?”

“According to the radio, a woman has made herself responsible for the corpse.”

“Is he going to be buried here?”

“According to the manager the lady will take it abroad.”

“I thought he was an islander by his outfit and performance in the ‘Pink Paradise’.”

“No, sir, he was a variety artist.”

“Very interesting! How do you know?”

“They came here every year.”

“Who did he come with?”

“With his wife, of course, Sir.”

“Were they staying at the hotel?”

“They had an apartment in the building that’s behind the swimming pool.”

“Thank you. We’ll leave you to get on with your work.”

Irving and Camette went out into the garden, “Let’s go and see that building,” suggested  Irving.

“Isn’t that where you went to have dinner with that woman?”

“Yes, it is.”

The main door was open and there was a lot of movement of people leaving for restaurants and bars to have the first drink of the evening. To them, Irving and Camette were just two more tourists.

“How are we going to get into the flat?” Camette asked.

“The balconies have shutters that slide from one side to the other. If only I could get onto one, either side of the one we want.”

“I don’t want you to play the hero in front of me, so have another think.”

“Very well. We’ll ring at the door and say we have come to give our condolences. Is that what you want to do?”

“Why not? We couldn’t be here for a better reason.”

Camette rang Matina’s bell. Irving wasn’t happy with the idea of having to meet up with that woman again face to face. He had no reason to worry, nobody answered. Neither did they hear the sound of footsteps from the other side of the door. The door of another flat opened and a couple stepped out.

“Please, do you know if the lady is in or not? We want to give her our condolences for the death of her husband,” explained Camette.

“She’s moved to an hotel nearer to the airport, early tomorrow morning she will leave with the coffin,” said the man.

“Thank you. You don’t happen to know the name of the hotel do you?” asked Irving.

“You don’t need to know it, there are only three in front of the airport. They are very small, you can’t get lost.”

“Thank you.”

“Are we going to the airport?” Camette asked.

“Yes, we are.”

The doctor’s Land Rover was still in the parking area. Irving and Camette were just about to climb in when, “Are you looking for a good time?” It was Filo.

“We’re in a hurry,” said Irving.

“You can get into the van, I’ll take you wherever you want to go.”

“To the airport,” said Camette, getting into the van.

“Are you going travelling?”

“No. We want to see the woman who attacked me, and according to what we’ve been told she’s the widow of the dead man in the swimming pool.”

“And what are you going to say to her? She’s nothing more than a poor artist.”

“I don’t believe it,” Irving said.

“Take notice of what I say, and don’t go near her. The two of you are in danger.”

“OK, you stay outside, we’ll go in alone without you,”

“I won’t let you do that. We stay here in the van or in some safe place. But you’re not going in.”

From the van they could see Matina at a table having a drink with Amanta and Jorge and Osman.  She was wearing a long skirt and a blouse, both turquoise-blue. Osman was wearing his green glasses as usual, and this time Amanta was wearing huge earrings instead of the heavy chain.

Camette whispered to Irving, “I’d love to see her face when she goes to look for the chest in order to change her jewellery and sees that it has disappeared.”

“Well, me no. Both women are repulsive, with their suntans and their sheer dresses.”

“They won’t be speaking about anything interesting in a place like this. It would be better if we went back with Filo,” suggested Camette.

“Back already. I’ve found out that the coffin is going tomorrow and the lady will accompany it,” it was Filo.

“Filo , what do you know about them?” Irving asked.

“Too much. And be careful.”

 

On arriving back at the hotel they knocked on the doctor’s door. Once inside they began to relate their experiences of the afternoon.

“We have seen a door in the swimming pool where the dead man could have entered, and we know what Matina is the widow of the dead man, and at this moment she’s having a drink with the happy trio, Amanta, Jorge and Osman on the terrace of an hotel in front of the airport,”

A wise smile crossed Doom’s face as if Irving’s news was not exactly new. “Thank you very much, but both of you must be careful. Now I have another piece of news. Mavis told me that she had taken a fish from the sea when she was on an excursion, that later disappeared. Don had found it dead and had flushed it down the toilet sending it down the waste pipes. That happened on the day smoke came out of the drains and toilets. My question is this, is it by chance that where there is smoke there is a dead fish? Or does a true sacred fire fish exist, the fish that cleanses?”

“What’s your answer, doctor?” Irving asked.

“That in some place around the island a sacred fire fish must live. I know neither the size nor the colour.”

“Filo said that they have to be adults in order to create fire,” Camette said.

“The fish we have seen are not very big but that doesn’t mean that there aren’t bigger or even much bigger examples,” added Irving.

“I want to think about this matter alone if you don’t mind,” said the doctor.

“Let’s have dinner, Irving. Have you already had something, doctor?”

“I had a snack a little while ago.”

 

The two married couples were at a table and called to the two young people. Camette and Irving went up to them. Sonila spoke saying,” Where’ve you been? Know what? It’s been a tremendous day. The drowned man is going home by plane. And that woman Matina seems to be his widow.”

Irving and Camette exchanged glances, “We’d heard something like that,” said Irving.

“Did he drown or was it from other causes?” asked Camette.

“The manager told us that the corpse was taken to the forensics but they haven’t said anything. So we have to accept the fact he died by drowning,” answered Sonila.

 

On the fourth ring the doctor picked up the receiver. “Hello, is that you? What’s your answer to my questions?”

Irving’s friend, who was on the other end, said to him without any preamble,  “Leave the island. It isn’t the best place to find yourself at the moment.”

“Can you tell me why not?”

“The matter is much more complex than I thought. I’ll explain it in a simple way.”

From the expression on the doctor’s face no one would have suspected the news he had just received. The problem wasn’t just for him to leave, but to convince Irving and Camette as well. He hung up, and leaving the bar behind him he went up to his room.

 

Irving picked up the phone, it was his friend. He still didn’t know of the connection between the doctor and the friend.

Irving, you have to return home - now!”

“There are still a few days left of my holiday.”

“Please, do what I say.”

“I don’t understand you, now that things are beginning to get interesting you want me to cut my holiday short without telling me why.”

“I can’t. I hope to see you here, soon. Please, don’t do anything silly.”

“If you don’t tell me to what you are referring I’m not going to know if I’m doing something silly or not.”

“See you soon,” his friend said and hung up.

 

The following morning the airline company arrived with divers and machines. The news of their presence ran from mouth to mouth and attracted the biggest crowd since the firework display. All morning they worked with some sort of very strong, enormous  balloons, and with the aid of cranes the plane was slowly pulled up to the surface of the sea. Among the spectators of this rather unusual occurrence were Sonila, Gus, Mavis and Don. In fact, all the passengers from the plane crash were also present, only the two pilots were missing. Filo and Curro had joined them, Filo as a guard. The doctor pointed out the burnt window panes and the burnt nose to Irving and Camette. They could also make out the presence of Amanta and Jorge on the launch in the sea. Osman was with the rest of the spectators at the top of the cliff.

“Can anybody make out what caused the accident?” asked somebody in the crowd in a loud voice.



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on July 11, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing