A Dangerous Date

A Dangerous Date

A Chapter by Georgina V Solly

 

Chapter 13

A DANGEROUS DATE

 

“Did you see the chain in the showcase? It was the same one, or its twin, that Amanta wore the other night,” said Camette.

“That doesn’t bother me, it isn’t likely that Osman would lend such a valuable find to Amanta. What worries me more is the reason behind our visit to the museum, after the incident with them when we went diving,” said Irving

“It’s very likely that the chain was a find of Amanta and Jorge and has nothing to do with Osman. The relationship between the suntanned pair and the pale-faced curator is fascinating. For an islander he doesn’t have the air of someone who has always lived in the tropics.”

“What’s more, he smells of fish.”

“Frankly the museum was disappointing. I’m going to lie down, and later on I’ll think about what to do. And you?”

“I’m going for a walk and then have a bathe,” Irving said.

 

When Camette had gone, Irving put on his swimming trunks and went off in the direction of the beach. The beach had been cleaned by machines and there was no longer any rubbish nor dead fish by the sea.

Irving got into the water. How good! The sea closed over his head for enough time to relax him and lose the sight of the museum and the curator. He didn’t want to think about either the trio nor what could be behind everything.

He dried his face with a towel and looked around him. The woman who had been the object of Mavis and  Sonila’s criticisms was nearing Irving on her way, and she was looking him up and down, “Hello, I haven’t seen you here before.”

“It’s the first time I’ve come to this beach.”

“Do you prefer the swimming pool? It’s better here if you want a good suntan, and much more relaxing.”

“There are prettier beaches in other parts of the island and much quieter,” Irving replied.

“I know. However I’m not convinced.”

“I’m Irving , and you?”

“Matina. I’ve got a rented apartment.”

“I’m staying at the hotel. Where are the apartments?”

“In the building on the other side of the swimming pool,” Matina said,  pointing to the building with a chocolate hand.

“I hadn’t noticed.”

“Are you alone?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Come and have dinner with me tonight. There’s an impressive view from the terrace.”

“I’ll be there at eight thirty. Shall I bring something?” Irving asked.

“Only yourself.”

“What number are you at?”

“Thirty-two,” concluded Matina.

 

Irving dressed in a pale blue shirt and trousers. He went down discreetly and left without being seen by the others. He wanted to avoid Camette, fearing that she might cause a jealousy scene if she knew where he was going. He knew nothing about the woman called Matina but he felt a certain curiosity, without knowing why. The apartment was surrounded by gardens with palm trees. The lights in the rooms displayed the residents dining, watching television, or simply talking.

Matina opened the door as soon as he rang the doorbell. She wore a transparent tunic of a watery green colour and beneath a very brief thong thing. The light from the table lamp penetrated the diaphanous clothes creating the impression that Matina was moving in water. Irving remembered Osman’s face lit up by the sun’s rays passing through the green lenses.

“Hello, Irving. How punctual! I don’t like men who keep women waiting. What would you like?”

“Something refreshing, lemon or lime.”

Matina leant over the drinks table trying to look seductive. Irving, who had seen everything on the beach, didn’t swallow the bait. The woman took an ice cube and passed it over the most intimate parts of her body. This didn’t cause any effect in Irving whatsoever. Matina changed tactics. “Are you hungry?”

“Of course, that’s why you invited me to dinner.”

“Don’t go away. I’ll be back in a minute.”

Irving got up and looked towards the hotel. Sounds of voices and music could be heard in the distance.

“Dinner is served,” Matina said putting a huge plate noisily onto the table. Irving perplexed, gazed as the woman served herself to some of the strangest salad he had ever seen. Among huge lettuce leaves lay octopus, squid, tomatoes, lemons, and olive oil.

“Want a hard-boiled egg?” Matina asked.

“No thanks. Has this dish got a special name?”

“Oh, no. I invented it from the tins I had in the kitchen cupboard. Hurry up, we’ve got things to do.”

Irving began to eat the lettuce leaf by leaf. Matina swallowed every mouthful with whisky and lemonade, soon she tired of eating, “Ghastly dinner, isn’t it?”

“I’ve had better,” answered Irving.

With her left hand Matina made a brusque gesture and sent the plates to the edge of the table where they trembled and fell, shattering into pieces on the shiny black floor. With her right hand she refilled their glasses, “A toast to the night before us,” and drained the glass.

Irving pretended to do the same without much success, there was still something in his glass. Matina refilled their glasses. “This time you make the toast.”

Irving holding the glass in both hands said, “ To us.”

“Come here. I want to kiss you,” she said.

“If you can,” Irving said running towards the door.

Matina was running behind, but thanks to the floor being covered in salad she slipped on a tomato and fell onto the broken plates and the dinner. “Help me. I think I’ve got a cut on my bottom,” she wailed.

“Call a doctor. I’m off,” Irving said, as he opened the door and left the apartment running. When he arrived at the garden, he sat down behind a tree in a state of confusion.

“Matina was furious, got up from the floor, thumbed in a number on her phone and said, “ He’s got away. Let’s see if you have more luck,” and hung up. I’ll get my own back, she thought to herself.



© 2012 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

255 Views
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on January 1, 2012


Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing