Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Victoria
"

More Questions than Answers

"

"Shut the hell up you f*****g moron! Can't you see I'm doing business?" Ronnie's voice rang through the abandoned warehouse, echoing once, twice, three times from the slick walls. It was directed towards no one. Though everyone seemed to cringe at once.

 

Ronnie was no deal maker. He had proved that time and time again. Yet still, people came from the far recesses of this god forsaken town to wallow in his grime and pretend they were needed. Ronnie pretended to be a leader. And did a very poor job at it. He screamed and yelled when he didn't get his way. Just like a f*****g two-year-old. But who could blame him? Surely not Alex, a small framed male with dark, curly hair and sea green eyes. Not Kellen, a slightly larger boy with an attitude that wouldn't get him anywhere in life. No not even Arial, a fairly good looking female with a scorching glare. I've caught myself many times sneaking glances her way. But there's no way in hell she'd take a chance with me. Her love for pills was far too great.

 

"Can't you see we're in need?! Can't you?"

 

"This doesn't concern me."

 

"No s**t this doesn't concern you! Now hand it over. Or do I have to make you?"

 

Things were starting to get out of control. Ronnie was going to far. This was supposed to be a simple pill run. It was obvious to everyone except the poor dealer that he was already strung out of his mind. If we had any chance at completing this deal, let alone keeping this dealer, I'd have to step in. Now or never I suppose.

 

Sighing, I took positive steps in Ronnie's direction. I was careful to give him a wide birth, knowing his reaction would mimicked a skittish horse when snuck up on. Especially now, when he's obviously so far gone. I stopped short three careful feet away from Ronnie and proceeded to capture the attention of our dealer.

 

"I apologize for this inconvenience," I motioned towards the oblivious Ronnie.

 

"Who the hell are you?" he twitched as his words forcefully tumbled from his lips. I could see the dried saliva on his chin, and almost a weeks worth of stubble lined his jaw. His greased hair was carelessly thrown half inside the beanie that sat atop his head. He visibly shrank away from the definite look I gave him.

 

"I am Desmond," my voice reverberated boldly.

 

Seconds, no minutes, passed before anyone dared take a breath. Everyone seemed to anticipate what would happen next. Ronnie was forgotten and might have wandered off somewhere for all anyone cared. For me, it was only I and the dealer.

 

"I can't follow through with this. Its too... Its too... Gah!" His face wrinkled and tilted up at the blackened ceiling. It had been charred irrevocably with fire and who knows what other types of vandalism. We only needed his pills, but he's making this much too difficult.

 

Drop them.

 

The dealer's hands gently slipped from his pockets and unfolded a small, rumbled plastic bag. The tips of his fingers shook with clear anticipation but eventually stopped moving all together. I knew he heard me. I knew, even though I had only thought the words. He would obey. They always obey. The plastic bag and its contents dropped to the cold concrete below the dealer's feet. He could do nothing but stare sadly down as I smiled, moved closer, and bent to pick up the meds.

 

Run.

 

I smiled wickedly and stared him down. Though it didn't take long. He turned, not taking his eyes off me, and half tripped, half limped his way off this floor of the warehouse. I laughed at my inside joke and folded the pills neatly in my pocket. Arial would appreciate these later. I turned on my heal and stalked towards the crumbled staircase that led to the fourth floor.

 

 

 

        *        *        *

 

 

 

Later, I gazed half heartedly out of the window in the prior office now appointed as my living quarters. My heart hurt for unexplainable reasons. Letting out a sigh, I leaned my elbow against the window sill and laid my head on my fist. My eyes closed inadvertently and I found myself almost dozing off.

 

"Desmond?"

 

My eyes snapped open and I found Arial at the open door of my office room. She still looked beautiful despite her ragged clothes and unwashed hair. I vaguely thought that there wasn't a way for her to look s****y. In the worst circumstances she still had the power to seduce. Inwardly, I smiled to myself. But I knew why she was here. The small stash that still lay rumpled in my pocket was her only desire. How long had it been since her last high? The pain in her eyes and the cold sweat droplets hanging just above her brow said it had been days. Maybe even weeks. My heart twisted at the thought of her convulsing in her sleep, going through terrible withdrawals. Hesitantly, I reached for the bag in my pocket. The eager look on her face caused me to laugh. Tipping the contents into my hand, I sorted out three small, yellow pills and stashed the rest away. I held my hand out to her.

 

She hungrily attacked my open palm. Her long, unmanaged fingernails clawed, trying to grasp her three little pieces of heaven. Greedily, Arial chewed the first one. Then the second. I knew she wanted more. A hell of a lot more. But I couldn't let her get out of hand. Especially now...

 

I turned back to the window and heard her retreating footsteps and the low click of the door jam. Not so much as a thank you.

 



© 2013 Victoria


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Not bad, and you've used some very good imagery here. You've also managed to keep the audience's attention through the piece. My one concern would be that it is a little short - I feel like a chapter should be a single, significant chunk of the work, with the ability to stand alone to some degree, and I'm not sure this is quite there yet.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Victoria

11 Years Ago

I'll work on the size (: Thank you!



Reviews

Fascinating start with some very dark characters. I m very curious why Desmond, with all his powers would be living this grimy low life... But perhaps it's just his desires. I did find the conversation confusing... Who was saying what? Otherwise, great job!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Not bad, and you've used some very good imagery here. You've also managed to keep the audience's attention through the piece. My one concern would be that it is a little short - I feel like a chapter should be a single, significant chunk of the work, with the ability to stand alone to some degree, and I'm not sure this is quite there yet.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Victoria

11 Years Ago

I'll work on the size (: Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 4, 2013
Last Updated on March 6, 2013


Author

Victoria
Victoria

Troy, MT



About
Im Victoria :) I usually write poems, but i do write short stories sometimes. more..

Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Victoria


Sanity Sanity

A Book by Victoria


Crush Crush

A Poem by Victoria