The Castle

The Castle

A Chapter by Gaard
"

One mans adventures in the land of Evengale.

"
The rain crashed to the ground as the man walked towards the ruins of the once magnificent castle. As he neared the remains he noticed a flickering of light from atop one of the once great guard towers, which clearly displayed the shadows of three strange looking creatures. The man ran for cover as he noticed one of the shadows begin to stand. A bush near the base of the castle was the best he could do. He crouched making sure that his sword and shield where under his rain drenched cloak. The shadow had now become a visible living creature, as he stared out through the gaps in the bush he saw it. It was as he had thought, a northern goblin. He had heard stories of the goblins that presided in the north. Attempts had been made by many men after wars and battles to create an alliance with the goblins, yet the goblins had no interest in peace. There only interest was there own well being and gold. When the great war of Alsinsheg started men came to the goblins in hopes of forming an alliance against their foe. The goblins cared not of the cause of the war. They only cared about their payment and their share of the spoils if they were victorious. Goblins during that time were on the side of man for the right price. Now there alliances had shifted and so had their greed. The man knew that if he wanted to escape from the cold unforgiving rain and decrease the possibility of dying from hypothermia he had to get inside the castle. Half of the castle gate had fallen off into the moat, which was now almost overflowing. What remained of the draw bridge was a narrow board allowing for one cautious person at a time to cross without falling into the moat. When he saw the goblins shadow once again he made a run for it, but as he turned from behind the bush his cloak caught on one of the branches. He slipped on the mud and fell on his back. He looked up at the tower. As far as he could tell the three goblins were still sitting around their fire. He unhooked his cloak from the bush and ran. The thin air was taking a toll on his already tired body. He gasped for air as he ran, desperately in need of warmth and shelter. He came to the draw bridge and without sizing up the thin piece of wood that it had now become, he jumped on it and balanced across. He had made it into the castle ruins. He leaned against the castle wall and feel. Exhausted his body couldn't take anymore. He fell into a deep sleep that he so desperately needed.


© 2017 Gaard


Author's Note

Gaard
All suggestions welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on January 2, 2017
Last Updated on January 2, 2017
Tags: Castle, Goblin, Knight, Evengale, Adventure


Author

Gaard
Gaard

CA



Writing
Relief Relief

A Chapter by Gaard


Freedom Freedom

A Chapter by Gaard