End Of Day

End Of Day

A Poem by Marie

A mother sits all alone.
Her hand extends to pick up the phone.
Quickly she withdraws it, timing not right.
It may be better if she rang tonight!

Lonely hours to while away,
she begins to plan what she will say,
but changes her mind as she’s done before.
Nobody visits to knock on her door.

Her children grown up, with families of their own.
Beautiful husbands, beautiful homes.
They have no time to ring or say “Hello!”
But she loves them so dearly, as they very well know.

So later she’ll ring, ask about their day
with conversation light-hearted, come what may.
Then it’s “Goodbye”, talk to you soon
and she re-joins her evening companion: “The Moon”.

 

© 2024 Marie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dear Marie, I find this poem a sad reflection on how isolated the elderly can become. It also makes me realize how blessed I am. I can’t help thinking that even though the children have fled the nest and have busy lives of their own, would it hurt them to phone more? A couple of minutes a day, just to check in? Surely that isn’t too much to ask. Beautifully penned and raises plenty of thoughts. Have a happy Saturday.

Chris

Posted 3 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Marie

3 Months Ago

Hello Chris and thank you for kindly taking time out to read this poem and for your kind comment. Th.. read more



Reviews

This is a heartfelt, moving poem, I guage the angst of the mother now senior in age yet her love for her children, grandchildren still so fresh and sincere, but will any reciprocate, afterall, a phone call is all it takes??



Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie

3 Months Ago

Hello Tom. Thank you for kindly taking the time to read and comment on my poem. You have interpreted.. read more
Thanks, Marie 🙏

For sharing this thought-filled reminder of those who've grown old and lonely, so casually set aside in our lives. Just a little note in the mail or an email to say howdy-do can be like a fresh-cut flower gifted from a loved one's hand.
You've brought to mind my mother and father, of how independent and self-sufficient they were determined to be … no doubt, setting the example for all us brothers and sisters, and I always looked up to and respected them for being this way.
One day my father died, leaving my mother alone, and you could almost see those inspiring tendencies vanish, quickly replaced by sorrow and a semblance of being lost and instantly lonely … I knew my mother would need plenty of understanding love, attention, and invites to family gatherings and endless invites to share her advice and wisdom … which she received until her death. We made certain she never knew a moment of loneliness; except, in her moments missing Dad, of course.
No mother should ever feel uncertain about picking up the phone to call her younguns, with a sure smile and happy heart that they'll be welcomed.
Your poetry is always written so well, flows easily, and rhymes spot-on it's easy to become an irristedly addicted fan. : )

"Lonely hours to while away,
she begins to plan what she will say,
but changes her mind as she’s done before.
Nobody visits to knock on her door."

Brought a gently heart-swooning tear.
This time, I hope you'll stay with us for good! ⁓ Richard🖌

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie

3 Months Ago

Thank you for taking time out to read and comment, Richard. Thank you for sharing about the result o.. read more
Richard🖌

3 Months Ago

I am so glad you want to stay, Marie : )
I was sad when you left.

Yes, so many.. read more
Marie

3 Months Ago

Thank you and bless you, Richard. I am sorry to have caused you sadness, please forgive me! Thank yo.. read more
This is such a touching poem, dear Marie. You captured the situation perfectly and beautifully. A mother's love is so unconditional and this poem is a true reflection of that.

I'd like to share, that I live next door to my mum and sometimes I do get too tired to see her for a couple of days but I always do pop in on weekends and help her with all she needs. My brother lives overseas but he calls her every single day. I always feel grateful she's here on earth with us. A mother is the greatest blessing one can ever hope to have.

Thank you for such a beautiful poem.

Posted 3 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie

3 Months Ago

Thank you dear Divya for your beautiful response to my poem. Thank you for sharing about your belove.. read more
Ayvid N

3 Months Ago

You're most welcome, dear friend Marie. Stay blessed and have a great weekend. Stay safe and keep .. read more
Dear Marie, I find this poem a sad reflection on how isolated the elderly can become. It also makes me realize how blessed I am. I can’t help thinking that even though the children have fled the nest and have busy lives of their own, would it hurt them to phone more? A couple of minutes a day, just to check in? Surely that isn’t too much to ask. Beautifully penned and raises plenty of thoughts. Have a happy Saturday.

Chris

Posted 3 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Marie

3 Months Ago

Hello Chris and thank you for kindly taking time out to read this poem and for your kind comment. Th.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2024
Last Updated on June 7, 2024
Tags: lonely hours, phone, alone, long evening, thoughts of a mother..., no visitors

Author

Marie
Marie

Kerry, Ireland



About
Always leave a heart-print on every life you touch... more..

Writing
Versifier. Versifier.

A Poem by Marie



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..