Adorable birds

Adorable birds

A Story by Chitra
"

Understanding birds

"
I adore looking at the little houes sparrows, they are so often aroud the year occupied feeding their little ones. The pair still holds their soul right of the pipe hole, continue to stay there over two years, having many phases of baby arrival and feeding them , tutoring them to take their first fly out of the nest. 
It is indeed a great effort the female puts in to bring in some good live healthy catches for the babies all day long, toiling relentlessly. The male seems to be more in a role of a watching for larger birds like crows who try peeping in for a fresh meal at the day break and any time of the day. I generally stick out a long stick out of the window to protect their little ones from these larger birds. Crows dare not come closer to their residence.
Nowadays I see many little ones fly off the nest safe and sound, healthy and fluffy. Some peep in from the window and drop in out of curiosity. One such baby happen to fly into the house as it slipped over the window sil. It rested near the kitchen sink, but since I was unaware of the baby when I went to the kitchen, it flew into the living room. Now I did not know how to carch hold of it, The bayy petrified sat in a corner panting, I allowed it to rest for a while, then placed a basket near the baby, it perched on the rim , the edge of the small round basket, I lifted the basket and held it near the window, in no time it flew off far away. This was a victory for me, having rescued a little one from my own home and I had no experience of catching hold of sparrows or baby sparrows in my hand.
The pair continues to lay eggs and bring up the young ones as the season allows, especially spring and summer are days when they happen to be occupied with family needs.

We have several house sparrows twittering and chirping in the window, picking grains we drop in the pots of plants. We were so thrilled to see them build a nest in a nearby pipe hole, so  we decided to put up a pretty bird house for them. After soemtime we put up the bird house high up on the wall outside the glass sliding window on the bars, but on the inside of the window bars. 

Few days later we were happy to see a pair take a look at the bird house, but did not dare to get in. It remained vacant and the previous pair continued to live in the pipe hole.

I changed the place of the birdhouse and placed on the other larger window of our living room, a couple was happy to see this house, for a few days delightfully brought in straws and other building material, but to my dismay they vanished and the bird house still remians vacant.

Just do not not know why, perhaps they love to live in pipeholes andd other places, but do not want to take up any obligation from us.


Another tale began with a pair of crows trying in vain to build their abode near the pots placed at the window, It was impossible for them  to fit in that tiny space between the pots. I was amazed and amused altogether to see them bring in rusted iron wires for their home instead of twigs, it is indeed time humans thought gravely about thhis. The rutsed wires are picked from places near the building sites, the pair huffed and puffed in the blazing heat, placing the wires that kept dropping from our third floor apartment, again they kept swooping down and bringing them to the third floor. The crows are indeed hilarious birds, I had placed a container filled with water so that the birds could quench their thirst, but this silly pair would turn them upside down spilling water that landed to the ground floor, but no one was drenched. They repeatedly continued with thier mischief of spilling the water holding the container in their beaks. The container however lies upside down.

My hubby decided to stop their pranks and picked the wires off from the window which angered them, but did no harm to us.

We have three windows for every room that are large to keep our rooms lighted. This wonderful pair of crows rested for the whole night on the bars of my bedroom, I discovered this when I placing some wet clothes to dry, it was the same pair accompanying me to the bedroom and building home in the living room window. This occured every night, poor fellows were sacred dailyt when I went to hang the clothes.

Later they stopped accumulating the wires in the living room and began their vain efforts in the wide plant pot. Oh My God ! I just did not know how they would fit their entire family into the pot. Therefore I placed a cane wicker upside down, they pushed it aside right in front of me and continued their wire home building project, staring at me. It was like a fight between us, I placed the cane basket and they pushed it aside.

So thinking hard I had another idea of placing a net that I used for making vermi compost for a few years, but stopped as the worms gmade my stomach rumble.

The net idea worked and they had no choice but to leave, this  is something we humans really should be concerned and worried about , because the trees are cut down, hampering the life of a skyrise, leaving birds homeless.

This seems so cruel to snatch away their rights from them by chopping off the trees, tleaving them no place to survive or seek shelter, breed and nurture. See the pain in their eyes they cannot plant trees, but we can. 

© 2014 Chitra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on June 6, 2014
Last Updated on June 6, 2014

Author

Chitra
Chitra

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



Writing
Pigeons Pigeons

A Story by Chitra


Nature Nature

A Story by Chitra