Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Firework

Chapter One

          It’s strange how you would never think that the world could actually crumble around you and then the next minute you’re fighting to hold it together.

          “Hey Roxi, come here and look at this.” Jack Kapolla called to his 19 year old daughter.

          Roxi emerged from the white framed doorway of her bedroom before heading down the stairs and into the living room where her father was leaning towards the television set that was playing a news report. Being in the army, Jack was always sure to keep up on all current events and enjoyed watching the news every night just to make sure the world wasn’t about to self destruct, as he liked to put it.

          “What’s up dad?” Roxi called as her bare feet stepped onto the soft tan colored carpet of their three bedroom, two bath country style house. Leaning her hip against the side of the couch, her light blue eyes glanced over at her father who had a worried expression on his face before flickering to the screen he was staring intently at and read the headline across the bottom.

          “The vaccination, called Quila, is the next advance in medicine as we know it. The antibiotic, which is taken in the form of a single shot, is designed to boost the immune system by up to 90%. Quila also helps fight against life threatening illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, aids and polio as well as keep you from getting the flu, chicken pox and even the common cold. Nations all over the world are having the drug brought in so their citizens can be vaccinated. Newborns are also going to be receiving the shot as well. Could Quila be the answer to our prayers or too good to be true? We’ll find out next when we sit down with the scientists behind the drug.” The news reporter informed as she read off of a sheet of paper while glancing up at the camera as often as she could.

          A commercial for Ford trucks came onto the TV and normally Roxi would have enjoyed watching the commercial because Fords were her favorite kind of truck but something about the look on her father’s face made her focus on his thoughtful yet worried eyes that were still staring at the TV.

          “What’s wrong dad, you don’t think Quila is gonna work?” she asked him, leaning a hand on top of the couch as she tried to read his expression with no success. Her father had the frustrating ability of only expressing his emotions when he wanted you to know how he was feeling.

          After a minute or two of silence he finally came back to life and glanced over at her with a half smile.

          “I don’t know. I hope it does…” he replied before clicking off the TV and heading out of the living room and down into the basement where his office was located.

          Roxi could tell that there was a lot her father wasn’t telling her but he was a man a few words, which meant that she was left with questions ninety percent of the time. Sighing, she pushed herself away from the couch and headed back to her bedroom and fell backwards onto her bed, picking up the book she had left open there. Her eyes began to read the words but her mind was paying attention as her thoughts wandered back to the miracle drug, Quila. Could something so amazing really end up being too good to be true?



© 2011 Firework


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on August 4, 2011
Last Updated on August 4, 2011


Author

Firework
Firework

MO



Writing
Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Firework


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Firework


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by Firework