Fulfill

Fulfill

A Poem by Fin Buckley
"

Would he be disappointed if you simply stared?

"

You look at him and wonder, what would Icarus think of these wings? Would he be jealous that someone else is underneath the warmth of the sun?


A hand brushes against yours, and you know it’s a gesture of goodbye. All his touches are. Full of longing, always fleeting. They take up the same breadth as a wing stroke, and you can see the smile curl on his lips like a sickle curls for the harvest. He’s only fulfilling his purpose, carrying out what he’s been destined to do time and time again, from as many vantage points and perspectives as the camera will allow.


For a brief moment you want to print out every photo of his face, every image of him in the sky, soaring above everything he’s ever known. You don’t have a name for the feeling in your chest; that swell of pride followed by the smallest twinge of pain, the faintest hope that his wings will melt and he will fall.


If he did, you wouldn’t catch him.


That’s not the purpose you were meant to fulfill.

© 2017 Fin Buckley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on July 27, 2017
Last Updated on July 27, 2017
Tags: poetry, prose

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley