Not in my cards

Not in my cards

A Story by Fin Buckley
"

"I don't want them to be."

"

“I suppose if we go on another case together I’ll simply have to save you again-“ The woman’s musing is interrupted by a fist slamming against the desk behind her, and she jumps before turning to see Claire’s back; body hunched and rigid as she shakes with anger over the carpentry.


“I’m not perfect, Genevieve!” Claire exclaims, and a moment of silence spreads between them before the woman shakes her head. “I’m sorry I don’t get your stupid banter, or that I slow you down on your ‘intellectual escapades’, or that I get caught or trapped and you have to save me on every f*****g case you take me on! I didn’t ask to be weak, but being strong is so damn hard!”


Genevieve moves a step closer and extends a hand toward Claire’s shoulder, “Claire you know I don’t mea-“


“I’m sorry I’m just some pathetic, worthless, good for nothing secretary that… that… that I don’t know why you even keep around.” Her shoulders sag as she smooths her fist out against the desk, rubbing against the wood in small circles. “I want to be smart and funny and clever like you, but that’s just not who I am, Genevieve.” She sighs. “It’s just not in my cards.”


“I don’t want them to be.” Claire’s hand pauses, and she turns to face the detective.


Genevieve closes the distance between them and takes Claire’s hands in her own, looking her dead in the eye as she speaks. “You may not be as devilishly smart or knee-slapping funny as I am,” Claire rolls her eyes, “but I don’t want that from you. I interviewed hundreds of applicants months before I even glanced at you on the streets, but you were the one I wanted for this position. The moment I saw you, I was intrigued. I was stumped and I didn’t know why. You were the mystery that I just couldn’t solve.” Genevieve rubs the back of Claire’s hand with her thumb and breaks eye contact, giving a small, nervous cough before continuing.


“When I heard you speak -- the way you handled yourself around others, not taking any of their tomfoolery -- I knew it had to be you. You are deceptively beautiful, subtly astute, and you know how to make others cooperate in ways I never could. And to be frank, it would be no fun if I didn’t have to save you, for I love being able to come to your aid when you need it most.” Genevieve looks Claire in the eye once more and smiles. “I love you, Claire, and I’m the biggest fool in the world for ever thinking I could show my affection without saying it, because we both know I am awful at displaying any emotion besides pride.”

© 2017 Fin Buckley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

51 Views
Added on May 14, 2017
Last Updated on May 14, 2017

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley