The boy of oil

The boy of oil

A Story by Fin Buckley
"

Sometimes the best you can do is to be simply you.

"

I dreamt of a boy last night. He was covered in oil, an invisible light raining down on him and casting a rainbow reflection upon the slick liquid that was his body. He saw me, saw through me, with eyes like diamonds; diamonds that caught the light in a blinding glitter of refracted edges and thoughtful search.


“I have seen all there is to see in your life.” His voice was airy and held a slight quiver, a hand outstretched in my direction.  He spoke so tenderly for someone so intimidating in appearance.


I took his hand. “And what did you perceive?” His palm was soft and dry, unexpected given the circumstances. He moved so he stood beside me, eyes peering motionlessly ahead of us into the dark unknown.


“There will be many obstacles and hardship,” He shaped my fingers and moved my arm so I was pointing forward, into the dark distance, “but you will always continue on.”


“Even when I feel that I can’t?”


Especially when you feel that you can’t. You will witness events you wish had never come to fruition, and you will hear the voices of friends giving their final friendly farewells before abandoning you.”


His skin caught fire, eyes shining even brighter as he stared ahead. He was a living flame, but he was warm beside me. Something to be kindled, not feared.


“You will experience these things and they will shape you, the same way a rock is shaped by the rolling river. Some of it is gradual, slowly smoothing and softening your sharp edges. Other parts are relentless, chipping pieces off of you and crafting a jagged mess.” He put a blazing hand on my shoulder and gently prodded me forward. We began to walk, my hand still pointed outward. I did not burn. 


“You will grow from it regardless, no matter how small and withered these things may make you feel.”


“Why am I compared to a rock? Why not a flame or plant?”


“Rocks are strong, but with enough time and influence they are capable of change. A flame is bright like you, but does not capture the slow development. Fire is fast, it is all consuming if left unchecked.” His flames burned a little brighter, color shifting to a light blue as his flames extended toward the empty, endless sky. “Powerful and resilient, but dangerous.”


We continued walking toward nothing. “You are not a plant because like you they are slow growers, but they lack the strength and resolve you possess. They pull from a wealth of knowledge and resources, but seldom let anything below the surface see the light of day. You are open where they are secretive, you are sturdy where they are easily upturned.” He shrugged. “It is the way of life. We cannot always be what we prefer; sometimes the best you can do is to be simply you.”


We reached a wall, which didn’t look like a wall at first glance, but it was where the void ended and where we could go no further.


“Be what you are, accept what you are, and you will set yourself on the path to change.”

My extended hand slowly altered, fingers morphing into jagged claws as smooth stone slid its way up my arm.


I dragged my fingers against the wall of darkness and let the light shine through.

© 2017 Fin Buckley


Author's Note

Fin Buckley
A dream I had.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

68 Views
Added on May 14, 2017
Last Updated on May 14, 2017

Author

Fin Buckley
Fin Buckley

About
I simply enjoy writing. Let the littlest things inspire you, and let that inspiration run wild. You will find yourself making a lot of art when you do. more..

Writing
Tracks Tracks

A Story by Fin Buckley


Throne Throne

A Poem by Fin Buckley


Waiting Waiting

A Story by Fin Buckley