3- The Yard

3- The Yard

A Chapter by Fave

The Yard


The scent of curry powder and stewed vegetables lingered at the door of Jayla’s Jamaican Restaurant. This was a popular spot for Brandon State students with or without Caribbean roots. Bob Marley’s “Don’t Worry” played in the boombox behind the counter. A shapely island princess, wearing a yellow apron and shoulder length dreadlocks, swayed her hips to the music. 

The early evening rush hadn’t begun so there was no one in the dining area when Marland arrived. He followed her every move from beneath his shades upon entering. “I’d love to take a bite out of that,” his voice was playful.

The woman cut her glance in his direction. Despite his handsome face and chiseled frame, she appeared disturbed by his grin. “Is dat right?” she replied in a heavy Jamaican accent.

“Yes, it is.” Marland’s smile grew wider.

She grabbed a pad from the counter to take his order. Shivers cascaded through her spine as she did not take her eyes off him. “Is this to go?” she picked up a pen.

“No ma’am. I’m waiting on a friend of mine �" so I’m gonna grab a table and wait ‘til he gets here before I order anything.” Marland pointed towards a small table draped in a yellow and green tablecloth. “But you can keep doing that dance while you bring the menus over.”  

His charm didn’t penetrate her concern. The young lady put the pen and pad down and picked up two menus that were lodged between the cash register. 

Marland sat down and faced the door. “Don’t worrrry….about a ting…” he sang, “’Cause ev’ry lil’ ting…is gonna be…”

The loud slap of the laminated menus against the table interrupted his serenade. “Here you are, sir.” Her tone was very solemn. 

“Thank you,” he stared at her caramel cleavage and continued his gaze to her lips. “You know, your face is way too pretty to look so sad.”

She shook her head and smirked, “I’m not sad…it’s just that…I pity you.”

“I must have rubbed you the wrong way with that ‘take a bite’ comment,” Marland chuckled. “My bad, alright? I didn’t mean any disrespect.”

“None taken. And I mean no disrespect when I say dat I sense something very peculiar ‘bout you, mon…almost troubling.”

“Awww,” he patted his chest with his hand. 

“Back on the island, I could see things…spiritual things…and I can see that your soul is very troubled.”

“You got that deep-woods-jungle-hut-witch-doctor vibe going?” his grizzly baritone grew from taunting to dark. “You think you can see my soul, huh? Well tell me, how can you possibly see something that isn’t there?”

Her voice shook, “You have a soul, mon. It’s just lost.”

“Maybe you can help me find it.”

“And lose mine in the process? No, thank you.”

At that moment, Ellis walked in and placed a pause in their exchange. Marland jumped out of his seat and scared the discerning waitress. “Excuse me, there goes my friend.”

“Let me know when you’re ready to order.” She walked back to the kitchen as Marland zoomed over to greet his long, lost roommate.

“EL-BOOGIE!” he screamed.

“Marly-Marl!” Ellis shouted in response. They gave each other a warm bear hug and rocked from side to side. “What’s good, man?”

“I can’t call it, playa!” Marland was so excited. “Dayum man, I haven’t seen you in like five or six years.”

“Has it been that long?” Ellis frowned in disbelief.

“Yeah man. That’s what happens when you start making records and winning Stellar Awards and Grammy nominations and what not…you forget about the little people and time just slips away.”

“Oh, here we go,” Ellis sighed as they walked back to their table. “You know it’s not even like that. I always call or email or something.”

“I’ll give you that,” Marland confessed. “But you could’ve taken a brother on one of them shows, man.”

The two college buddies take a seat at the table. Ellis noticed Marland’s vibrant youth still shining through. “You haven’t changed at all since undergrad. I mean, you look just like you did when we played ball.”

“I gained a pound here or there,” he modestly proclaimed. “But I still workout five times a week and I’m not big on eating a whole lot.”








© 2011 Fave


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

Fave
Fave

Writing
1-Welcome to Atlanta 1-Welcome to Atlanta

A Chapter by Fave


2 - Guidance 2 - Guidance

A Chapter by Fave


Neo-Soul Neo-Soul

A Book by Fave