1-Welcome to Atlanta

1-Welcome to Atlanta

A Chapter by Fave

Welcome to Atlanta



Most people considered Ellis King to be an extremely blessed young man.  He was an accomplished musician and recording artist. While most of his peers were singing about cars, clothes and women " Ellis found his success in the gospel music industry. 

Last January, he was nominated for Best Inspirational Song of the Year at the Stellar Awards. His current single, “Something’s Missing” has been soaring up the gospel and urban charts.  This was quite an accomplishment for a guy who didn’t start his musical journey until he was eighteen. Now, at twenty-seven, he was one of the hottest gospel artists in the country. Ellis King was blessed indeed.

His music career has taken him to countless seminars, musicals and choir workshops around the globe. His mahogany skin, muscular build and meticulously groomed goatee shined as he strolled through Atlanta Hartsfield airport.  He strolled through the terminal with his roll-away bag in his left hand. Dressed in designer jeans, black shirt and chocolate loafers he left a lingering hint of Fahrenheit cologne in the air.  He made his way to the front of the car rental counter and pulled out his driver’s license.  

Ellis exchanged smiles with the female agent behind the counter. She was in her early twenties, petite and light-skinned with short hair that looked like it was just done. 

“Good afternoon, sir. How can I help you?” Her southern drawl saturated her professional demeanor. 

He handed her his license. “Yes, I have a weekend reservation under Ellis King.” 

Her French tips click-clacked away while her eyes toggled between the computer screen and his face. She squinted briefly, as if she recognized him. 

“Okay, here we are….Ellis King. You have the weekend special…standard class.” She continued typing. “You’re that gospel singer, right?” 

“Yes ma’am,” he smiled. “That’s me.”

“I thought it was you,” she handed back his license. The printer made a whirling sound as it spat out his paperwork. “I saw you on the Stellar Awards. You look even better in person.”

Ellis blushed as his eyes locked in on the flirty agent’s nametag. “Thank you…Ashlee.”

She gave him the paperwork and instructed Ellis to fill out a series of signatures and initials. Ashlee licked her lips as she admired the wave pattern in his hair and broad shoulders.  “So are you down here for a concert?” she continued. “Why aren’t you being picked up in a limo or at least a driver?”

He chuckled at her perception that his gospel singing fame warranted such luxuries. Without looking up, he answered. “No ma’am. I’m going to homecoming at Brandon State.”

“Stop calling me ma’am!” she playfully touched his hand. “I’m probably younger than you.”

Their eyes continued their dance of attraction. “I can’t help it…it’s just a habit,” he handed her the completed papers. Three more customers had lined up behind Ellis, but all either of them could see was each other. 

Ashlee took a pen and scribbled on the top form before reaching under the counter and handing Ellis the keys to his weekend transportation. “From now on, I want you to call me Ashlee…okay?” she smirked, suggesting that they would meet up again soon.

He glanced at the key chain describing the make and model of the vehicle. “Hold up. I reserved a Chrysler 300, not a Nissan Armada.”

“I upgraded you,” she winked. “No charge.”

“I appreciate it, but I don’t wanna get you in any trouble.”

“I’m not going to get in any trouble,” she assured him. “Now make sure you review all of the information on your rental agreement and keep it with you because it serves as your registration.”

Ellis looked over the contract and noticed some additional handwriting near his signature: Ashlee Foreman "(404) 218-6567. He looked up at her smiling face, while those who waited behind him sighed with impatience. “I’ll be sure to use this information wisely.”

“I’m sure you will.”

“I’ll call you tonight,” his mustache curled around his grin.

“I’ll be waiting.”

Ellis folded the papers and put them in his back pocket. “Enjoy the rest of your day.”

“And you enjoy that SUV…a big time gospel star like you should be riding in style.”

“To God be the glory!” They laughed. Ellis held the keys in his hand and pointed his index finger towards the ceiling. 

“Just go out to the rental garage and the truck is in Lot #142,” she informed him. “There should be an attendant out there to help you out.”

“Thank you so much, Miss Ashlee.”

“No, thank you.” Her eyes dimmed to hazel slivers of desire for the Christian superstar.

Ellis grabbed his bag and pivoted on his heel to walk away when he encountered an elderly black woman at the end of the line. Her silver hair dangled underneath a black, knitted cap and she wore a turquoise blouse and burgundy skirt. Ellis broke his stride to avoid bumping into her. “Excuse me, ma’am.”

Standing barely five feet tall, she lifted her head. Her deep stare pierced through Ellis’ superficial exterior and connected with his soul. 

“You have an anointing that’s all over you,” her voice was raspy and strong, “and the Holy Spirit told me to warn you that enemy is closing in and you gotta be careful now more than ever!”

Ellis nodded and smiled. “Praise the Lord,” his tone lacked sincerity, as if he just wanted to get to his upgraded rental car. 

“You think I’m just some crazy ol’ lady in the airport, but the Lord told me to tell you this.” Her sullen, glazed eyes watered with intensity. “He said that you are a great musician, but God has called you to be more than that. Read First John, second chapter, verse 26 and 27. You can’t let ANYTHING " natural or supernatural " steal your anointing

He stood frozen in her presence and. Ellis touched the woman on the shoulder. “You be blessed, ma’am. Okay?”

“And you…be careful.” 

Ellis began to walk away when he noticed the woman was walking away from the car rental counter. “Ma’am,” he called her. “I thought you were going to rent a car?”

The woman turned to him and confessed, “I came to do what the Lord told me to do…and now I can go home.”

Still shook from her words, Ellis sauntered to the rental car parking lot and pushed the alarm button on the key. The lights flickered on a midnight blue Nissan Armada. As Ellis came closer to the shiny new automobile, he noticed the license plate number read ‘JHN-226.’ 

He looked at his rental paperwork that had Ashlee’s number on it. His thoughts of hooking up with the petite princess for an unrighteous rendezvous slowly dissipated. Ellis looked up at the dark concrete parking structure and whispered, “I hear you, Lord.” Pulling out of the parking lot, Ellis sped onto the Atlanta streets " bumping his latest CD " in route to Brandon State University.



26I am writing these things to you about those who are trying to lead you astray. 27As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit"just as it has taught you, remain in him.   -John 2:26-27



© 2011 Fave


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on June 20, 2011
Last Updated on June 20, 2011


Author

Fave
Fave

Writing
2 - Guidance 2 - Guidance

A Chapter by Fave


3- The Yard 3- The Yard

A Chapter by Fave


Neo-Soul Neo-Soul

A Book by Fave