Magnetic

Magnetic

A Story by Essie W
"

Sometimes two opposites work together

"
The bright morning sunshine poured in through the antique window. Amy woke up, groaned, and rolled over. She reached for the curtains, but couldn’t reach them. She rolled back into the center of the bed and tried to clamp her eyes shut. 
Amelia was sitting in the arm chair, intently reading her book. She was perfectly fashionable, as always. She was as comfortable in her strappy stilettos as her slippers, if not more so. Her wide leg linen pants were perfectly pressed, as was her satin suit vest that she wore with nothing underneath. She walked over to the curtains and pulled them shut. 
“Thank you,” Amy said sleepily. Then she saw a simple white paper bag folded up on the nightstand. “What is this?” She opened it and took out a magnet with the  image of a medieval scribe and a large illuminated capital letter A. 
“It’s a refrigerator magnet, from the Venerable Bede exhibit yesterday,” Amelia said. 
“Oh,” Amy said, “but why?” 
“Do you remember our first trip together?” Amelia asked. 
“We went to Sonoma,” Amy answered. 
“You got me a “Wine O'clock magnet,”  Amelia said. 
“And you said that your refrigerator doesn’t have any magnets,” Amy remembered. 
“And I know that you had so many magnets from all over everywhere. And you didn’t put them on the refrigerator when you moved in. So I wanted to get one so that our refrigerator can have magnets on it if you want.” 
Amy smiled, “That is very sweet.” She said, “I love it. I love you.” She sat up and pecked Amelia on the lips. “Also the refrigerator is not magnetic. But I can order some magnetic paint when we get back.” She set the magnet down and pulled the blanket over her. 
Amelia sat down in the chair, smiling at Amy’s untamable hair and constant kicking in her sleep. The rest of their lives awaited. 

© 2024 Essie W


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I was thinking about magnetism. Nicely written story.

Posted 1 Day Ago


I think I get why Amelia wore nothing under her satin suit! I hope the rest of their lives live up to the promise.

Posted 3 Days Ago


Essie W

3 Days Ago

Thanks for the review!
I think I get why Amelia wore nothing under her satin suit! I hope the rest of their lives live up to the promise.

Posted 3 Days Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

60 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2024
Last Updated on September 14, 2024
Tags: Slice of life, romantic, lesbian, flash fiction