Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Emily

The building was old and beautiful, and the second I saw it I felt a mix of emotions. I was surprised because almost automatically I felt at peace, as if I belonged there. But for all its outward beauty there was something sinister just beneath the surface. I concentrated hard trying to figure out what could be causing such a feeling but the reason slipped out my grasp as my father spoke again.

"I want you to behave yourself here, you got that? If you get in trouble once you're going to military school." He glared at me and I glared back.

"Well, dad you know I've never gotten into trouble before but if I get sent to military school I might just cause enough trouble to get kicked out." I replied with a malicious smile. The thing was I was telling the truth. I never got into trouble. My grades stayed in the B's and none of my teachers or my friend's parents had ever complained about my behavior. It was only at home that I couldn't keep my temper in check.

Once again, my dad seemed like he was about to reply so I quickly got out of the car, dragging my camouflage overnight bag with me. I paused for a second to stare at the school again but the sound of the car doors opening had me swiftly walking away, while dad and Marie got out of the car, both mumbling about ungrateful teenagers as they went to get my remaining bags. Not that there was much to get. I had three small suitcases with my clothes and one even smaller bag that had my laptop and the few books that I refused to leave behind. Besides that I only had my overnight bag, which contained my toiletries and other essentials like my iPod, cell phone, and their chargers. Looking around at the few other late arrivers I realized that I had a meager amount of possessions compared to everyone else; most of whom had six or seven large bags compared to my four.

Sighing I realized that I probably wouldn't fit in here any better than I had at my old school. Though I had had friends most of them had been my friends since childhood. And even with them I had always been the odd one out, both physically and socially. While I had been content to be alone listening to music and reading, they had wanted me to go out to parties, and had gotten confused when I declined. My other classmates had often been put off by the aloofness I had worn like a shield since my mother died, and wouldn't approach me a second time. It didn't help that in a town full of average height, brown haired, brown eyed people I was petite statured with auburn hair, green eyes, and the delicate features I had inherited from one of my great-grandmothers.

My reverie was broken by the laughter of a group of students standing under the maple trees that stood near the entrance of the building. They looked like they had been friends forever and for a moment I felt jealous before I made myself walk past them. A few of them gave me a cursorily glance before turning back to the group, but my attention was caught by one boy who unabashedly stared at me. He was at least six feet tall and looked like a typical bad boy with eerie light blue eyes, shaggy black hair, and a tan that looked like he had spent the last month on a beach. As if he knew exactly what I was thinking he smirked and winked at me before turning away. Blushing I realized I had been staring at him and hurried up the steps into the entrance hallway to wait for my dad and Marie, who took their own sweet time getting there.

When they finally did get there I daydreamed while we were shown to my room by a stern looking woman whose name I didn't remember hearing. As we walked the woman went over the rules and I caught one or two of them. The main ones I decided were to keep the boys out of the girl’s dorms and to stay on school grounds unless given special permission. Innocently I asked if the woods surrounding the school were considered school grounds and the old hag immediately snapped that the woods were of limits completely. After that I kept my mouth shut until we arrived at my room.

The room wasn't big but it wasn't small either. There was more than enough room to fit the two twin sized beds, two wardrobes, two desks, and two nightstands. One side of the room had already been decorated and looked lived in, as if the person had already been there awhile. At my question the old woman, whose name I now remembered as Mrs. Waters, explained that my roommate was a girl named Victoria Marshall and that she had lived in the school since freshman year. After repeating the no boys rule and pointing out where the communal bathroom and showers were Mrs. Waters left so I could get settled in and say goodbye to my parents.

There was an awkward pause before Marie said goodbye quickly and left, reminding my dad to hurry because she had an appointment somewhere. After that the silence was even worse. Finally my dad warned me once more not to get into trouble. I agreed with him so he would leave but he caught me by surprise when he quickly hugged me and murmured "Be good Lena. I love you." before exiting even faster than Marie. Too fast for him to possibly hear me whisper I love you back.

Staring out the window that faced the woods I threw myself down on my bed and cried myself to sleep, wishing that I could be anywhere but here.

 



© 2011 Emily


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Are sure this is the first time you've ever written a book in the first person? If so, then this is an amazing job for a first timer. Keep it up. (:

Posted 12 Years Ago


This has amazing details and I can't wait to read more :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


Too tired to rly think of something useful to say :P But was good, moving on. On a roll! Getting closer to 15 pages tho :P

Posted 14 Years Ago


A interesting second chapter. I like the description and detail in the story so far. You know how to keep reader involved in the story. I look forward to reading more. Sent me a read request. I would be honored to read your story.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2009
Last Updated on March 9, 2011


Author

Emily
Emily

NY



About
I just realized that I haven't updated my about me in two years. A lot can and has happened in those two years. I am now twenty years old. I haven't gotten through college yet but I plan to. Unfortuna.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Emily


Night Musings Night Musings

A Story by Emily



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 7 Chapter 7

A Chapter by Mary