A Dead Girl in Sandals

A Dead Girl in Sandals

A Poem by Emilia Svjeda
"

A comment on society's expectation of how girls should present themselves

"

A dead girl in sandals and street clothes.

Necklace on her neck and bracelet on her wrist.

Phone in her hand and a bag on her shoulder.

Oh, dead girl in sandals, shouldn’t you be more elegant?

© 2023 Emilia Svjeda


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This -- reminds me much of the predicament from modern societal issues that are most present in Japan and Eastern countries, not that I am saying it's particularly better in most other regions but this is just speaking from experience. I presume you've gotten the inspiration from several unfortunate incidents that occurred in Japan back in the 2010s because I recognized the main idea -- and it is not pretty.

I appreciate your creative way to phrase the problem without having to directly mention the name of the issue out loud. And, although it is a very uncomfortable topic for most to discuss or talk about, I believe that you've chosen one of the better methods to tell your tale and get the idea across. And the construct for your work feels tightly knitted with various imagery being sewn on top of one another creating a very graphic scene with just so few lines -- Creating the rightfully frightful atmosphere of uneasiness in the story.

A very troubling topic but executed in such a great way that truly speaks volumes for its content while disturbing the readers just ever so slightly, enough to deliver a message, very efficient storytelling.

It was a great read, author Emilia Svjeda, thank you for sharing your work.

Posted 9 Months Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 7, 2023
Last Updated on December 7, 2023
Tags: Poem, Poetry, Fiction, Imagery, Short Poem, Short, Freeverse, Symbol, Symbolism, Symbolic, Death, Mortality, Societal, Society, Fashion, Expectations, Dying

Author

Emilia Svjeda
Emilia Svjeda

Chicago, IL



About
19-year-old Software Engineering student loves to write words and music in her free time. Emilia Svejda pronounced eh-MEE-lee-uh SHVAY-duh Orrrr use my American name: Emilia Sweet! Also check o.. more..

Writing
One One

A Poem by Emilia Svjeda