Hog-Killing Time in the Old South

Hog-Killing Time in the Old South

A Story by Elton Camp
"

A grim, but necessary, farm task.

"

Hog-Killing in the Old South

 

By Elton Camp

 

(This is another in my series about life in the rural South during the early part of the 20th Century.  If this interests you, look for others posted on this site.)

 

            It was hog killing day. The noisy arrival of early-morning visitors was expected. Milas had all in readiness for the day’s activity. Neighbors from the nearest three farms congregated to help.

 

            They brought their cast iron wash pots to supplement the one owned by the family. The men heaved them over the sides of the wagons and lugged them into the yard. The round, black containers would be used to heat water to scald the hogs and later to process lard. As when clothes were to be washed, fires were laid under the pots after they were filled with water from the spring. While they heated, two of the men attached a block-and-tackle to a strong limb on the oak tree that sheltered the west side of the house. 

 

            While the children enjoyed a day of play, far more important matters occupied the adults. The family’s meat supply for the months ahead must be ensured.  While the men processed the hogs, the women prepared a nutritious dinner, the noon meal.

 

            Albert made an unnecessary visit to the outhouse when he saw a group of the men open the gate and enter the hog pen. He knew what was coming. One of them carried a sharp butcher knife. As main caretaker of the three hogs, he didn’t want to see it when they were killed. He’d become fond of them, particularly the one with a black patch on an otherwise white body. 

 

            A bit of slop poured into their trough enticed the animals into a corner of their enclosure. The men pounced on one of the hogs and shouted encouragement to one another as they wrestled it to the ground. It squealed wildly, kicked its legs, and attempted to bite, but it was a futile struggle. A burly man plunged the knife deep into the swine’s throat and made a savage slice. They released the mortally wounded animal and jumped back to avoid being hit by its spouting blood. The hog continued to squeal, this time in pain. It ran until it became weak from blood loss, fell, struggled to its feet and ran some more. Slowly, it collapsed and began to quiver. Then it lay still and quiet. The men hefted it onto a homemade table and stood back to admire their work.

 

            With the block-and-tackle, the men raised the hog by its back feet to allow time for any remaining blood to drain from the carcass. Only then did they begin the processing. They placed a large barrel underneath the suspended hog and partly filled it with hot water. 

 

            “Let hit down, boys,” Milas called out. 

 

            The hog soaked in the hot water for a few minutes. They pulled it up and began to scrape away the bristly, but now loosened hair. Up and down the hog went. Scraping followed scraping. Despite the cold weather, the workers mopped sweat from their brows. 

 

            “Water’s gettin’ too cool,” a neighbor observed. 

 

            That resulted in more hot water being brought for the barrel. Others refilled the wash pots from the spring to have a continuous supply. Several scaldings were required. There mustn’t be a trace of hair on the rind of the ham or bacon when it was cooked. 

 

            The cleaning completed, the workers removed the internal organs, cut up the hog and commenced to prepare the meat. They sliced away the excess fat and then rubbed the surface with a mixture of salt, spice, and seasonings. The aroma only partly overcame the stench of the butchering process. Soon, it was time to kill the next hog and repeat the process. 

 

            Hog killing was intense work that required knowledge, experience and skill as well as brawn.  The sounds of children at play made the day less grim.  Tempting aromas wafting from the kitchen hinted at the feast to come for the hungry workers and youngsters alike.   

 

 

© 2012 Elton Camp


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very informative, my only other experience with hog-killing time was from Little House in the Big Woods, but that was seen from the children's point of view. Seeing it through the eyes of the workers was altogether different. What did they do with the meat after it was salted and spiced? Was it smoked?

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

317 Views
1 Review
Added on January 6, 2012
Last Updated on January 6, 2012

Author

Elton Camp
Elton Camp

Russellville, AL



About
I am retired from college teaching/administration and writing as a hobby. My only "publications" are a weekly column in our local newspaper. Most of my writing is prose, but I do produce some "poetr.. more..

Writing