The Story Behind Chocolate Diamonds

The Story Behind Chocolate Diamonds

A Story by Elton Camp
"

The astonishing power of marketing.

"

The Story Behind Chocolate Diamonds

 

By Elton Camp

 

The current fad for “chocolate diamonds” seems to well illustrate the principle that one will never go wrong by underestimating the bottled-water-buying mentality of the public.  Advertising and promotion are the keys to their success. 

 

All through history, the perceived value of a diamond has been based on the “Three Cs” of cut, color and clarity.  Those that were clear or some rare color such as pink or blue have been deemed the most valuable.  The Hope Diamond is the prime example of a blue diamond.

 

            At the bottom of the scale in desirability and value were the common brown diamonds.  Nobody wanted them and they had little value as jewelry.  That changed beginning in the year 2000 when the retailer LeVian came up with the name “chocolate diamonds” for a particular color of those previously unwanted gems that had, with contempt, been called brown diamonds. 

 

            Le Vian well understood the value of advertising and lavished millions on television, radio, magazine, catalog and billboard promotions.  Celebrities began to wear chocolate diamonds to public events. 

 

            A few other retailers have tried to market “chocolate diamonds” without the permission of Le Vian’s, but with little success.  In the public mind, high quality brown diamonds are desirable only in connection with the name Le Vian.  What a success story for the company and its marketing!

 

            What’s next?  Will somebody come up with the idea to sell faded, worn and tattered blue jeans at a premium price?  Surely not.  Nobody could be that gullible. 

 

Note:  If this interests you and you want a better version of this story complete with pictures go to the following:

 

http://www.scribd.com/doc/43515103/The-Story-Behind-Chocolate-Diamonds#source:facebook

 

 

© 2010 Elton Camp


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was cute. Enjoyed that little chocolate morsel.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
1 Review
Added on November 21, 2010
Last Updated on November 21, 2010

Author

Elton Camp
Elton Camp

Russellville, AL



About
I am retired from college teaching/administration and writing as a hobby. My only "publications" are a weekly column in our local newspaper. Most of my writing is prose, but I do produce some "poetr.. more..

Writing