CONSOLING THOMAS:ACTRESS AVA CUMMINGS

CONSOLING THOMAS:ACTRESS AVA CUMMINGS

A Story by Entertainment Writing Group

The phrase “Doubting Thomas” is one that many of us use but rarely stop to think about its origin. The biblical source of the person and situation which inspired it is rarely referenced. When given the opportunity to explore this in the play “Thomas” Canadian actress Ava Cummings was prompt to accept the offer to play Mary from this production’s Creative Director Kent Andrews. Playing the mother of the most significant entity in Christianity might be intimidating to most but Cummings has a history of starring roles in faith based productions and was highly receptive to the opportunities this play afforded her. Andrews reports, “The standout performance from Ava Cummings commanded the stage, having audiences laughing at one moment and overcome with emotions the next. The audiences loved every minute of it stating that it “was the best show they have ever seen at Agincourt” and that ‘it was not just a show but an experience.’ The show has made a huge impact on our community with attendees talking about how the show impacted them.”

  When was the last time you went to see a production in cabaret style based on scripture? Precisely! This was the idea running through Ava’s mind when the producers of “Thomas” enticed her to join the cast. The creative team wanted to do something different from the typical Christmas or Easter production. This unique blend of a cabaret with strategically placed vignettes to emphasize the storylines was a fresh opportunity for Ava to utilize the many talents that have made her so popular in the Canadian theater community. This type of production demanded a great deal from the cast, Cummings in particular. The physicality was extremely important due to transitions from cabaret style to a vignette. The constant back and forth required a very clear distinction. Ava often adjusted the gate of her walk and the pacing of her voice to communicate this.

  In addition to her acting and singing talent, Cummings vast experience in faith based productions made her an ideal choice to portray Mary (mother of Jesus) in “Thomas.” The actress concedes, “I feel that with a character like Mary it is impossible to have a complete understanding of her. She is definitely a larger than life person. Because of how long ago she walked the earth, the bible is the only reference for what life would have been like for her in ancient Jerusalem. To get into the mind of Mary is impossible. I didn’t see this as a detriment in this play. It left a lot of room for me as an actor to develop the character.”

  In the beginning of the play, Mary acts as a spiritual mother to the disciples. Along with a few ladies in the team, she serves meals to the disciples but more importantly, has a front row seat to all of the miracles performed by Jesus. During her time with the disciples she becomes a sounding board to many of them, especially Thomas. Thomas struggled with his faith. He believed in Jesus but struggled with acting on faith alone, always preferring to see things with his own eyes before believing. Mary challenges Thomas to strengthen his faith. The disciples did not understand who Christ really was, which made understanding why he was here nearly impossible. Mary became the voice of reason for Thomas and other disciples. When Jesus is crucified, Thomas loses all hope and questions everything he believes. This is the pivotal moment in their relationship. Mary becomes like a second mother to Thomas as she both encourages him and challengs him in his belief.

  The intense emotions of the story and the performances given permeated all involved parties from the creators to the cast and the audience. The actress considers this production of “Thomas” to have been the most challenging of her career. For an actor, this character goes on quite a journey from being the voice of reason to struggling with loss and the cusp of anger towards God, while finally accepting God's will and helping others to do the same. The journey is arduous for Mary…and Ava as her proxy. The impact on the audience was palpable as she moved through the auditorium. The struggles of Mary, Thomas, and other major cast members truly connected with the audience at Agincourt Church. The venue has been producing shows for more than thirty years. This state of the art sound and light venue has witnessed more than 8,000 in attendance for “Thomas.”

  While the thousand who attended and the rave reviews of her performance may be vetting to her continued success as a singing actress, these do not speak to the true motives of Cummings. It is her goal to simultaneously challenge her own abilities while challenging those viewing the productions in which she finds herself to think and feel beyond what they are told. It doesn’t come as a surprise that an actress would want others to dream, to think beyond what is at their fingertips…because it’s exactly what art and artists have contributed to society throughout the ages. Actress Ava Cummings believes that her lifelong pursuits are all intertwined and part of a calling to a part of telling the biggest stories there are to tell, regardless of the story or her role.

© 2017 Entertainment Writing Group


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on December 15, 2017
Last Updated on December 15, 2017
Tags: Canadian Actress, Theater, International Talent, Inspirational

Author

Entertainment Writing Group
Entertainment Writing Group

Hollywood, CA



About
I write about entertainment. Film, TV, culinary, musicians, models, photographers, etc. more..

Writing