Surprises

Surprises

A Chapter by EMZ
"

this is Chapter One bringing you Blaise 23 years old with a past no one would dare claim

"

Blaise woke to the chirping of her bird. After the bird pecked her shoulder, she stirred. “ Alright, Poll. Don’t pitch a fit yet.” The yellowish blue bird chirped at her before taking off for her perch on the wall. Blaise let out a big yawn as she tossed back her hair and rolled out of bed and onto her feet. “ Good morning, Blaise. What trouble can we manage to involve ourselves in and evade today?” She asked herself merrily as she studied her nude figure in the full length mirror at the end of her bed.

After eighteen years of training under her father, she had countless scars from him. There were the few scars she’s managed to receive from an occasional enemy that thought they could best her in battle, which always resulted in their death and her body having another mark to hide from the public. Her breasts had a few where the enemy‘s sword cut across. Her arms were mottled with countless scars, the very reason she always wore a long sleeved shirt. Her legs weren’t so bad with one or two less than her breasts. More covered her stomach. She even had a few on her face. The only place she wasn’t scarred was her neck and feet.

Bathing quickly, she dressed in her usual garb of a long sleeved blue shirt, her black vest, and her fingerless gray leather gloves. Slipping into her gray pants, she slipped on her black boots over her knee high socks and strapped on her scabbard belt. The ruby red hilts of her scimitars stood out against her outfit. She touched the hilts affectionately before she grabbed her coin pouch and left her small cottage. Walking to the center of Wurner City, she smiled at each person she passed, greeting those she knew, which were many.

“ Morning, Geela.” She greeted a small, old woman who looked like she was ready to die.

The old woman gave her a big grin. “ Morning, Dearie.” She called back.

“ Blaise, any plans for today?” One of her younger neighbors asked her brightly, appearing in front of her silently.

She stopped for him and nodded as she studied the youthful boy. He was only fourteen, looking for a role model, and guess who was chosen? Her. She didn’t like it because she didn’t want him in harm’s way. He was more persistent than her , so she had no choice most of the time but to allow him shadow her. His guardians, Marsha and Franklin Abae, thought she was a sweet creature. If they stepped outside of their maintained home and garden, they would see she was a bit more than just sweet. “ I always do.” She replied simply.

He grinned. “ Can I shadow you today?” He asked eagerly, knowing she would say yes more than she would say no.

She understood his interest in her. She was a person caught up in a world of excitement. What youthful boy wouldn’t be amazed? “ I don‘t the see the harm, but you will listen to every one of my commands.” She told him firmly. She had to have control at all times if he was to remain safe. She didn’t trust anyone she dealt with until the third or fourth time she dealt with them. Not many returned after the second time.

He agreed. He followed her through the streets of Wurner City like an apprentice, something she could never support. They came to her office, finding several people on the steps. She gave them a big smile before unlocking the doors and ushering Javon into the homey and comfortable office. It was two rooms, one for sitting and the other for the office. In the sitting room was two blue couches with several books for one to read. In her office, she had the rest of her meager collection of twenty seven books on a small shelf behind her large desk, where every file and the books were locked up. Javon took his customary seat in her office corner while she welcomed the people on her steps into the office.

One by one, she took them into her office and spoke to them separately. Some of the conversations Javon was allowed to sit in on, but the few he wasn’t, he was sent out to the sitting area where he read the books to avoid the questioning looks of the waiting customers. Finally, she called him and the last customer into her office. “ Welcome, Itaro. I wasn’t expecting to see you for several more days. What happened to touring the mountains?” She made easy conversation with the middle aged man that was sporting grey in his hair and had an athletic build very few his age had.

Itaro smiled, a smile that was always infectious. “ The lady needed me home quicker. I can always tour the mountains. I’ve always appreciated the very special quality the Tilora Mountains. Have you made progress with my request?” He regarded Javon with open curiosity before returning his attention to the woman behind the desk.

She nodded as she produced a file containing several letters and a final report. “ As promised, here’s your information. It was all I could scrounge up on the man. He’s got a good past with creditors. He’s currently running lucky in gambling, and his horse breeding farm is in good state. Your daughter will find his condition of living very suitable.” She assured him warmly. Javon sat up straighter as his back started to complain of his slouching. She jotted Benjamin Mariol’s name into her journal underneath Itaro’s with a short description.

The man appeared to trust her judgment and relaxed. “ That’s incredibly relieving. Thank you so much.” He stood up and held out his hand. She stood up and shook it with a big grin of her own. “ You delivered on your word. I almost doubted you wouldn’t.” He caught himself before he could insult her. She expertly kept the disappointment off her face. “ Thank you. I will send others your way.” He left after that.

“ Do people do that often?” Javon asked her concerned. He thought it was interesting that everyone who she talked with in front of him always was shocked to learn she delivered on her word. He had come to know that she would after she promised to help his guardians with their guardians once they had the chance. That night, she was officially invited to dinner and welcomed at any time.

She nodded regretfully, personally unbothered by it. “ I‘m used to it by now, Javon. It‘s one thing to be someone you‘re not and another to avoid acknowledging where you came from.” She shared with him. She shared with everyone who she was, but she never once claimed to be a bandit. Never once claimed to be on the wrong side of the law. Never once allowed herself to be used by someone for murder, theft, or anything in the category.

Javon stood up and began to pace the office. “ How can you take on such simple tasks without becoming bored with it all? The last conversations I heard was about a missing brother, an estate that was in the shadow of doubt who it should go to because of a person’s promiscuous behavior, and him. What do you get from it?” He found it all dull, something that could easily put him to sleep if this wasn’t what kept him from his guardians’ pressure to become an apprentice of someone. He didn’t tell them the person he wanted to follow was Blaise Gull because they distrusted her. They liked her well enough, but for some reason, they distrusted her.

She laughed at him and ruffled his hair as she passed him. “ It keeps me feeling like I’m doing something worthwhile, Javon. If I didn’t have this, I don’t know what I would do.” He stared after her like she was crazy. Did she actually believe what she said? “ Some day when you have all of life, Javon, you will see why this is all the more soothing and desirable.” He doubted that. He wanted adventure. If he could live off of adventure, he would seize the chance.

She checked to make sure the street was clear near her office before she opened the door and took a brisk walk down to the vendor on the end of the street. Purchasing a basket of fruit, she returned with it and set it out in the sitting area. Taking an apple for herself, she returned to her office. “ Javon, would you fetch a person for me?” She asked of him casually as she studied him critically. He was a bit shorter than her, which meant he was going to be tall. A tall person could be intimidating if they had the right build and look.

Javon nodded as he chewed his apple. “ His name is Aliju Westiu. He is staying at True Inn. I’m supposed to go over some agreement options with him today, but it seems I’m going to be busy with the new slew of business I received this morning.” He was gone in a flash before she had a chance to give him the directions to the inn. Sighing, she stared at where he was standing before. “ You’re a good kid, Javon. You don’t need to be around me.” She whispered painfully. She adored him, but she didn’t deserve him. She didn’t deserve much of the happiness she had.

The hour passed as she wrote her contacts and sent her courier pigeon to deliver the most important of her letters. She waited for Javon to return. Finally he returned with two people. One was Aliju Westiu. The other was a man she had never seen before but was familiar as is she only glanced at him before. “ Thank you, Javon. Take a seat. Aliju, you and I will talk now. And you, sir?” She asked of the familiar man.

He gave Javon a questioning look like so many others did before him. She thought it was because Javon looked a great deal like her and hung around her like a lost puppy. “ I was here for some information like everyone else. A murder went down on the south side of this city. What would you know of that?” His eyes bore into her, making her feel as if he was accusing her of participating in it. She wondered if he actually thought that.

Then she recognized him for what he was. “ Detective, I am not a person that knows everything. If you want me to discover what did happen, I charge a small fee. A small fee because you’re with the law and you’re within the city.” She told him, her demands not unreasonable. He grumbled under his breath before he fished out several silver coins from his pockets. She placed them in her desk drawer. “ You’ll have your information before the night is through. Where will I contact you?” He told her an address on the eastern part of the city. She promised him she would see him there later that night.

When he left, she gave Javon one of the silver coins. He pocketed it with a big grin. She turned her attention to Aliju and started discussing payment options for what he asked for. Aliju left an hour and half later, which at that point, Blaise herself left the office to discover what had happened in the southern part of the city.

Javon followed her, eager to see how she would go about finding information on a murder in the worst part of Wurner City. “ Go home, Javon. I’m through for today.” He didn’t listen to her, and she began to get upset. “ Go home, Javon. I mean it.” He gave her that puppy look that usually won her over, but not this time. He could get hurt. He then turned around and started dragging his feet homeward with the most disheartened expression on his face. She sighed. Would she ever listen to reason where he was concerned? “ Javon, come on.” She called after him. He ran back to her with the silliest grin on his face.

They continued through the poorer part of the city before crossing several men who she knew to be involved in trafficking stolen goods. They gave her a good look before catcalling after her. She tried to ignore them. Javon remained silent under her order as they traveled away from the men. The men’s catcalling stopped as they walked further into the poorer section. She felt the urge to do something about it, but she wasn’t sure what she could do until she got rid of the gang leaders.

A rock rolled in front of her. “ Well, well. Look here, gents. We have us a Gull.” Someone shouted before they leapt from a building and landed in front of her. She glared at him and pushed Javon behind her. He stumbled from the force of the shove before recovering. “ She’s pretending she can fight.” The man shouted in mockery, brandishing his short sword foolishly.

She could hear her heart pound. She knew she shouldn’t have dragged Javon along, and this was why. “ You would abandon this if you knew what was good for you.” She warned him fairly. Javon was not going to be hurt on her account. Over her dead body, which wasn’t very likely. Death seemed to push her away every time she had a brush with it.

Two more came from the right. She faced them, keeping one eye on the leader. Javon hid behind her, his heart racing. They unsheathed their weapons. She unsheathed her scimitars in one fluid movement and readied herself for the attack. The leader charged her. She side stepped him and sliced into his back. He cried out before falling and crawling away from her. The other two backed away from her in hesitation. Then they ran. The leader lay on his stomach groaning in pain as his blood stained his clothing.

Replacing the scimitars back into the scabbards, she swiftly took care of the man and forced out of him that he knew something about the murder that took place near the ghost whisperer’s place. When he wouldn’t divulge any more, she pricked him. He told her that a man named Bertoldi was behind it. She left him laying there in his pain. He wouldn’t die, but he certainly wouldn’t be threatening anyone for a few weeks.

Javon stared at her in open awe. She was fierce in battle, amazing to see in action. The very speed and accuracy at which she moved was far better than any other person he’d seen. The hostile look in her eyes was enough to chill the blood of any opponent. Absolutely amazing. “ That was incredible.” He breathed. He wanted to go into battle with her. No other person could compare.

She nodded grimly. “ Compliments of my father, kid. Don’t follow my footsteps.” She asked of him, hoping he wouldn’t. He didn’t need the kind of life she was living now. All he needed was a peaceful life with someone to love him, something she never had.

They didn’t talk anymore as they made their way to the ghost whisperer’s place. The old woman was sitting on her bench with a necklace of blue beads clenched in her hand. When she spotted them, she became still. Javon stared at her while Blaise studied the place. She found the evidence of the murder easily enough, but something about the scene spoke of another clue yet to reveal itself. “ What happened here, my good lady?” Blaise asked her gently.

The woman shook. “ Terrible things. Terrible things, child.” She whispered raspily.

Blaise nodded, choosing not to tell her that murder among evil men was really life ridding the world of evil. “ Who did this?” She asked next, keeping her voice gentle and lulling. Javon could see she was trying hard to be kind though the mockery was in her eyes.

The woman answered her in the same raspy voice. “ Men with murderous souls. Hateful souls.” She whispered in a shaking voice.

Blaise nodded again. “ Do you know their names?” She pressed persistently. A bottle was kicked and two men with mean expressions on their faces stood in the middle of the street. Javon moved away from her as she squared her shoulders and faced them. “ Evening, gentlemen.” She greeted stiffly. Would she have to straighten out a few more hard headed men?

“ Stay out of this, Gull.” One of them warned her. She thrilled at the sound of her name in the fearful tone. She could see why her father did what he did. Part of it anyway. The absolute thrill of knowing people would back down from challenging her was a new experience she didn’t expect to like. It scared her.

She laughed at him. “ I would if I knew that I had a choice. Unfortunately you forget I consider this place my territory like Joust City is my father’s territory.” She kept her hands on the hilts of her scimitars. “ You don’t scare me, gentlemen. I’m ready for death to claim me. I doubt you’ll deliver me to its arms.” She declared cockily.

Her mockery angered them, but they kept her distance. “ Who’s the kid, Gull? Your son?” Their eyes lingered on him unpleasantly. He moved behind her to avoid their direct gaze. He was aware of the danger he was in, just as she was aware of her responsibilities to see him home safe.

She laughed brutishly as she tried to shield him. “ Him? Hell no. My father couldn’t tolerate a man claiming me.” She laughed again, stopping as soon as she realized Javon was hurt by her callousness. She would explain to him when they returned to the safe part of the city. “ Gentlemen, you give me the information, and I leave. It’s that simple.” She was serious. She didn’t waste energy on dead end people.

It was their turn to laugh at her. “ You’ll have to kill us.” They declared.

She shrugged as if it were nothing. “ I’m ready. Let’s play.” She encouraged them eagerly. There were some things her father gave her, and the thirst for a challenge was one. She relished a challenge, especially in battle.

They didn’t run like the other two had. She withdrew her scimitars in a flash and parried the first attacker and cut off the second. Javon moved next to the ghost whisperer and watched as Blaise put them on the defense quickly. She cut down the second attacker before he had a chance to blink. The first was close behind. With the men bleeding from wounds that wouldn’t kill them but disable them, she kicked their weapons away from them and hovered over them.“ Information, or else.” She threatened, the tip of her scimitar touching the groin of one of the men.

Sweating profusely, he shook. “ We’re just lapdogs. It was all Bertoldi.” The once fierce man admitted as she pressed ever so slightly.

“ Where is this Bertoldi?” She asked him next. Who was Bertoldi? What was he a part of? Why was he so feared? Even more than her?

“ I don’t know. Some other city. He’s strange. He has this thing with power. I swear-” He gulped as she pressed harder. “I swear it’s all I know.” She lifted her scimitar and turned to his companion. “ He doesn’t know a thing.” He spoke for his companion, sweat trickling down his forehead as she studied the other man, who was groaning in pain while holding his arm close to his body, his blood staining the front of his shirt.

She contemplated testing his companion, but she didn’t. Amazing how men were attached to their manhood. “ Very well. Enjoy your evening. Better see to your wounds. Oh, and there’s another with a slash across his back on by Wester’s Factory.” She grabbed Javon and started back without another word.

Javon glared at her, pulling out of her grasp. “ That was mean of you.” He stated angrily, still remembering the way she had regarded him as a nobody. He had at least expected her to have more of a care for him than she showed.

She just patted him on the back. “ No hard feelings, kid, but you don’t need hurt. The less important people think you are to me, the less they’ll bother with you.” She informed him perkily. Damn, that was such a rush. She loved gathering information.

Dropping Javon off at his guardian’s home, she made her way to the address the detective gave her. She knocked three times on the door before he answered it. Then he welcomed her in and listened to what she had to say. When she was finished giving him the report, he nodded while in contemplation.

“ Incredible, Gull. Incredible.” He finally commented. “ And you say they’re all alive?” He asked in a different tone, one of reassurance so that he didn’t have to prosecute her. She nodded, wondering if he would really punish her if she did kill them. “ Just in pain?” She nodded again, smiling now. “ Bertoldi. Who is Bertoldi? What is Bertoldi?” He asked himself, just as she had during the interrogation.

She left him to return to her office for one last round. No one was waiting so she covered the fruit and locked up. Walking home, she smiled as she thought about the day’s uneventful actions. This was why she did what she did. She helped. She didn’t need to help. She just did. She thrived on it. Her father made people suffer. Now they had a choice, and she had to say she made a far better choice than her father. Her reputation was spread as far as the eastern border of Vimouf and as far north as Rally City, which was two towns away from the northern border of Vimouf.

Her dreams were harsh that night as the people flitting in and out of them shouted continuously. She woke in the morning with a pounding headache. Her bird, Polly, didn’t help much with her incessant chirping. Her twenty fourth birthday was in a few days. Her father would come to see her as he customarily did. She had to keep Javon away from her so her father didn’t hurt the boy.

Leaving the house, she started

Going to work that day, she told Javon to return in a week and paid him for his work. He understood after she touched upon the basics. She felt lost without him this morning, but she managed the few people that came to ask for her help in removing a few gangs pressure from their backs. Lately the gangs were attempting to seize control of the city, and she wasn’t having any of it. She already made it known she wasn’t tolerating it.

She handled the problem briskly by speaking with the gang leaders personally. Lately she had been handling dangerous missions herself. It was as if she wanted the dangerous missions to end her life. The gang leaders didn’t take well to her warning to back off. She showed them why they should fear her when she threatened to share their personal information with the other leaders, which left them a little more than compliant for the time being. She returned to find Matrika Evalay waiting for her.

On Matrika’s hip was her young son, now a year old. The blond hair, brown eyed boy was an angelic sight everyone fell for. Even her. She scooped Artuous into her arms and lead Matrika into the office. “ How has life been as a single mother?” She asked Matrika conversationally.

Matrika sighed. “ If I said wonderful, I’d be lying. My parents are threatening to disown me if I don’t marry the man, and my family is threatening to disown me if I do. I love them both. As if that isn’t enough, Artuos has been asking for his father and pitching fits that rival my temper. I barely get enough sleep with my bartending job at the local inn, and I’m barely getting enough payment for food and housing. It’s sickening, and I don’t think I can put up with it anymore.” She complained bitterly, letting the ocean of complaints free.

Blaise nodded sympathetically. She understood the helpless feeling too well.

“ I could help you, but you’d have to relocate.” She offered optimistically. Matrika urged her to go on. “ In Saria City, there’s a shelter for mother’s like yourself. The only payment required is a few silver coins a month. The requirements are that you stay employed and you provide proof. Once you’re strong enough to enter the world again, you end the deal and move on.” She learned of the place after having a drink with someone who traveled a lot.

Matrika nodded slowly, struggling to believe what she was hearing.

“ How..who..” Was there really a place? Why hadn’t she heard of it before?

Blaise set Artuous on the blue couch and gave him an orange to play with. He threw it before laughing adorably and squirming to go get it. She set him down and let him crawl to get it. “ A wealthy family who had the same trouble with a daughter of theirs. They decided to help more than themselves and formed the home.” She described for Matrika. “ I could write to them and inform them of your arrival…” She wanted to help the single mother. She really did.

Matrika urged her to do so before speaking of the boy’s father. “ As for Crace?” She asked quietly. She glanced at Artuous as she did so. He was preoccupied with his orange.

Blaise informed her that she still has no luck, but the report for people with the name should arrive in a week. “ It takes time to gather such information. You must understand it is not simple.” Matrika said that she did, though she was sorely disappointed it wasn‘t simpler. “ I will write that letter and another one for you to carry as proof of your living conditions. And please take a few coins for yourself and the boy. You need it.” Matrika looked guilty about taking the fistful of silver coins, but she took them. Blaise wrote the letters and sent Matrika on her way. She closed for the day, walking home feeling infinitely better about herself but not quite sure if she should be.

 

Two days later, her father arrived, rudely interrupting a meeting she was having with the detective. The detective eyed her father, particularly his scarred face. Blaise faced her father, her heart pounding. “ Father, if you wait, I’ll see to you as well. I’m busy.” Her father didn’t budge and said nothing. She turned to the detective. “ Well, detective, I will get you the information on the name Bertoldi, but it will take weeks. I’ll give you the information when I receive it.”

“ Of course. Take care, Gull.” He excused himself and left in a hurry. She called the next customer in.

“ Welcome back, Aliju. I believe you and I are in business. We now can start on your search for your missing family heirlooms. Would-” She carried on with business, completely ignoring her father unlike the terrified customers who suffered his glowering and hatred. His mumbling always startled them and exasperated her. She wanted to strangle him after he put the fear of death into an old woman looking for her son to tell him that she was leaving her home to him.

When everyone was through, she finally acknowledged him. “ Father, why are you early?” She demanded aggravated. She purposely created the office the way it was for comfort for both her and the customer. He completely ruined that with his presence.

He stood to use his height over her. She wasn’t bothered. Height didn‘t make a difference to her. “ I’ve heard you’ve been causing trouble among the more respectable citizens here.” He remarked darkly. His eyes promised punishment. She almost shook before forcing herself to believe this was her playground, not his, and she was stronger here.

She laughed coldly. “ If you mean the gang leaders, they’re threatening the people here. I won’t have it. You have your ways, I have mine.” She reminded him curtly, sure that he wasn‘t happy with her free speaking. This was her city, and she was going to help every way she could. No city would ever be as corrupt or crime filled as Joust City, especially not hers.

He glared at her. “ And you are my daughter. You will listen to me.” He shot back adamantly.

She didn’t laugh. She hesitated with her response. “ No. I own this city. Not you. If you want to dispute that, then speak with the detective. He‘ll tell you exactly how well known I am.” She moved past him and out into the waiting area. The fruit basket was empty. She set it aside and put her books in it. Double uses saved waste.

He followed her. “ You’re wasting your talents with such useless people.” He insulted her. She bit her lip to keep from retorting. “ If you only employed it to gain real power, you would see how much power you have.” She laughed harshly before moving to the front door. He followed. She locked it behind her. “ I mean it, Blaise. If you don’t clean up your behavior, I’ll drag you back like before.”

She planted herself in front of him and folded her arms across her chest.

“ You even attempt to take this away from me, and I will personally destroy any control you have over Joust City.” Her threat was empty, but it was one she intended to fulfill if he ever attempted to take Wurner City from her. This was her home. This was her place of comfort, even if she had enemies among the four gangs that battled for control over Wurner City.

“ I wouldn’t let you.” He returned heatedly.

She rose to his challenge. “ And I won’t let you threaten me like I’m five. I’m not a child any more, and I’m certainly not your little girl. You never loved me. You never cared. Hell. You gave me most of the scars I hide. You made me deaf to fear of death. You made me into a monster. You’re the monster, not that useless man that rules this country.” People skirted around them as their harsh, loud voices and angry expressions characterized them vividly.

Eros reached out to grab her, but she pushed his hand away and backed away. “ You will listen. I am tired of your foolishness.” He growled.

She frowned deeply. “ Go to hell, father. Go to hell, and don’t come back. Go bother someone who could actually care about you.” Her words would have normally cut down an average person, but to her father, they had no effect. “ Goodbye and don’t bother me again.” She walked off, leaving him in the dust of her footsteps. She was nearly taken off her feet when he whipped her around and forced her to face him. “ Let go of me.” She demanded in a loud voice as she twisted and wriggled against his steel like hold.

He kept his hand clamped around her arm. “ You will listen.” He hissed. Several concerned passerby stopped to watch the confrontation but did not interfere. “ You will return.”

She pried his hand away and started to walk off. Before her father could grab her again, a man stopped his hand and stood in between her and her father.

“ I wouldn’t do that.” He warned the man in a low voice.

She stared at him with a mixture of fear and awe. Her father glared at him before turning heel and walking away. She faced him with unparalleled gratitude.

“ Thank you-” She gushed, her cheeks red. “ You’ve no idea how close he was to actually coming through on his threat.” So close she could almost see her life flashing before her eyes.

The man nodded gruffly. “ Just keep away from him.” He advised her.

He started to walk away. “ Wait. I want to talk to you.” She shouted after him, running after him to keep up. He was a fast walker.

“ Why?” He returned respectfully.

She leveled with him and matched his pace. “ You’re one of Danus’s clan’s men, aren’t you?” He stopped walking, his eyes resting on her with the ultimate distrust. “ I knew him before that man- killed him. He was trying to help me, but my father-is just my father. Not many dare stand up to him-and those that do-end up six feet under ground.” She explained, forcing to handle her emotions carefully. She always had trouble keeping them in check when it came to the two first important people in her life.

The man studied her closely. “ I haven’t heard his name mentioned by an outsider till now. How did you know him?” He pulled her aside and lowered his voice. “ Were you his mate?” He sounded concerned.

She shook her head no. “ He saved me. I offered him friendship. He helped me understand your kind better. I gave him the benefit of being a normal person.” She explained breathlessly. “ I tried to give him a decent burial. I buried him six feet under a tall tree, marked his grave with a round smooth stone and muttered the prayer of safe journey as best as I could remember it.” Tears pooled in her eyes despite her control as she remembered that evening as if it were yesterday. Wiping them away, she hung her head. “ He was the first real friend that tried to understand why I was so…broken.” Why was she crying? She felt so foolish.

The man reached out and touched her hand. His hands brushed over the scarred knuckles. “ That man did this to you?” He asked quietly.

She nodded curtly. “ And more. He’s very cruel.” She said no more. That was all she needed to say.

“ Danus failed to kill him?” She nodded sourly. “ Your name?” His voice was like a soft purr to her hearing.

“ Blaise Gull.” She answered him in repulsion. Why couldn’t she have been given a different name if she had to tolerate the blood connection? “ I’m sorry about his death. I know I shouldn’t have stayed with him, but I needed someone-”

The man stopped her mid sentence. “ No. I see. I can feel it. The ever present grief and depression you live in. You need to stop blaming yourself. He was aware of your past when he befriended you. Forgive yourself.” He ordered her.

She shook her head stubbornly. “ I wish I could. I can’t really forgive myself right now. My father and his wretched person just ruins everything. Now he wants me to abandon my city and everything I accomplished. Hateful-” Her voice broke up.

“ Evil B*****d.” She finished angrily. She clenched her hands into fists before releasing the tension. She needed to ventilate, but this was not the place.

The man still held her hand and squeezed it. “ You have a future. Long and hard, but you will reap great rewards. Try to stay afloat of your overpowering emotions, and when they get the best of you, best them by taming the source of it.” He let her hand go. “ Take care, Blaise Gull.”

She allowed him to walk a few steps away from her. “ What’s your name?”

He turned around to find something peaceful there in her eyes. “ It’s Zane.”

She nodded. “ It’s been a pleasure, Zane. I wish to repay you for taking care of my father.” She moved closer to speak in a lower voice.

He smiled. “ You already have.”

Confusion touched her face. “ How?”

“ It doesn‘t matter how. You just have.” He walked away, leaving her alone on the sidewalk. She slowly started back to her home. She had a long and hard future, but it would reap great rewards. That was a comfort to know. If it was true.

Her father didn’t heed her warning, and he appeared again as she was handling her daily business the next morning. Aliju returned with several paintings of the family heirlooms when her father entered the office. She pointedly ignored him. “ Yes. I can set a search out on the market for these specific items. That will take two maybe more weeks. There are many items missing so it will take time-”

Aliju nodded. “ Of course. I understand. These are our family’s most prized possessions. They were passed down from the first Westiu.”

Blaise nodded. “ I assure you I will make every effort to come through for you.” She promised him faithfully. “ I can’t promise success, but I will give you back your fee if you feel I didn’t do all I could.” It was something she didn’t mind for two reasons. First was that they came back again or left and spread a positive report of her character. Second was that she always had a reason to strive farther than before.

He shook his head vigorously as her father scoffed. “ I don’t doubt your ability to work your magic. I only wish that it worked all the time.” He gave Eros a worried look before standing. “ I will look forward to your letter when you receive news.” He left. She wanted to call him back as she read the hatred and anger on her father’s face.

Her father slammed the door shut behind him. She jumped up to her feet in protest. “ Enough, Blaise Gull. You will no longer resist me. I am your father, and your creator. You will obey me.” His voice grew louder with each syllable. She flinched as she remained unable to avoid this. “ Tonight, I will drink to your health and success, but then you will leave in the morning with me or I will do everything in my power to see to it you don’t live here again.” He jerked the door open and off its hinges. She started shaking the moment he was out the front door.

“ Next!” She shouted, recovering very slowly. The next customer came. She gave him a sweet, apologetic smile. “ And what are you requesting today?” She went on with business till she ran short of customers and reduced herself to categorizing her files. She was halfway through when Zane entered her office. He seated himself and stared at her with a steely gaze. “ What do you want today, Zane?” She asked tiredly, still shaky from her father‘s admonishment and order. When he handed out orders, they were to be followed, or the threat that accompanied them would always come true.

Zane tossed a ring onto the desktop. She picked it up carefully, admiring the black stone in it. “ You recognize the ring?” He asked her. She nodded. “ What is it?” His eyes studied her critically.

She rubbed her forehead as she felt a headache coming on. “ It’s a ring of a warrior. It is granted through proof of undisputed skill.” She answered him dully. She needed a break before the headache became even worse. It didn’t help she was still shaking from her father. The day was tiring after the confrontation.

“ It was Danus’s. It’s yours now.” He informed her bluntly.

She gaped at him in surprise. “ You can’t possibly mean that. These rings are werewolf origin, and a woman can’t be a werewolf. Not only that, I didn’t do anything to deserve it.” She pushed it back to him. She could not accept such a gift.

He pushed it back to her. “ You’ll take it. Danus is dead, and he would want you to have it.” He stood up. “ In any case, you survived the monster of monsters. Your father has done everything he can to ruin you, and you have defied him so far. You deserve it.” He sounded so convincing she almost believed him.

She began to wish she hadn’t stopped him and let him walk out of her life. She couldn’t take the ring. “ But my father has threatened to take everything from me here. He’s going to toast to my birthday tonight, and then tomorrow I travel with him or this city suffers. I won’t have any more people harmed by association with me.” She persisted nobly.

Zane frowned as he thought her words through. “ I’ll make a deal with you. You take the ring, I’ll remove your father from your life here.”

She sighed. Such a tempting offer. “ It’s generous but-”

“ Now you’re being rude.” He declared.

She sighed once more. “ Zane, I don’t want to take another from The Fresco Clan. I can’t face that with a light heart.” She couldn’t allow another person to be hurt because of her. No. She was going to avoid all her would be champions for the lonely road.

Zane frowned. “ Don’t worry about me. Your father will be so fed up with someone else you won’t have to worry about him breathing fire down your neck.” He cracked a smile. “ Tonight, where are you drinking?” She told him Red Wing Inn. He nodded. “ I’ll be there making sure your father is drunk beyond any recognition before I send him packing with his steed and possessions. I’ll see you there.” His promise lingered on her ears long after he left.

She sighed heavily and rest her head on the desk. Would she ever be free of men trying to control her every way she went? Sure, Zane only wanted to help, and he might, but that didn’t stop her father from recovering. Slipping the ring onto her pointer finger, she studied it for a few seconds. She didn’t deserve it. Danus did.

 

“ About time you showed up.” Eros snapped at her when she sat next to him at the bar. She didn’t want to give up Wurner City. It was her home. It was her base of security. She noticed everyone gave him a wide berth. The bartender avoided him completely. “ You have everything packed?” She nodded mournfully before she closed her eyes and stifled tears. She was going to give so much up. “ Enough of that. Drink to the change. Bartender!” He snapped, his harsh voice causing several people to cut their conversations and turn their attention to him.

The bartender came over to them most cautiously. Her father ordered three drinks. He downed two of them within a minute before she even touched her drink. He had two more down before she took two sips. Zane showed up as he promised, taking a seat in the corner and ordering six drinks for her father. He watched her father knock out the drinks one after another before ordering twelve for Eros. Blaise continued her miserable silence. Happy birthday, she whispered to herself miserably as a tear slid down her cheek. She wiped it away before another replaced it. She let the tears fall, not caring if her father saw them. Not caring that anyone saw her distress.

Too many drinks later, he began to speak disjointedly. “ You wouldn’t-imagine what it took-” It took him a whole ten minutes before he could get the next part out. “-to create you. Your mother-” He snared her attention with the word he begrudged her for twenty three years. “-almost didn’t have you and then she tried to steal you-”

The bartender eyed Eros before taking cues from her to stay away. “ -Inari. She was the pretty hussy-” He hiccupped loudly before swaying forward. She moved out of the way as he collapsed sideways taking the stools with him.

“ Don’t worry about it, sweetie.” The bartender assured her. “ He’ll be taken care of.”

She gave him a weak smile. Then she was gone. So Inari was the name of her mother. Inari. She was determined to find her mother. The wreck of the night had been turned around gloriously. Zane caught up with her outside of her office. “ That was amazing. What did you have put in those drinks?” She asked him excitedly.

He paused for a second before speaking. “ He’ll be so sick he won’t know what hit him. When he comes to, he’ll find his life wrecked. That should give you four months. The mixture will run its course for two months and then wane in the last two.” He told her in a low voice.

She threw herself into his arms and squeezed him tight. “ I don’t know how I could possibly thank you for this.” She pecked him on the cheek and hugged him again. “ Thank you, thank you, thank you.” She muttered repeatedly. He smelled good, she thought before she pulled away from him.

“ I’m glad you finally have a smile on that face. Now you have to capitalize. Make Danus proud, and maybe we’ll consider letting you in our wolf pack.” She laughed at him. “ That’ a beautiful smile. Keep it there.” He touched her cheek before walking away. She covered where he had touched her, treasuring the warm fluttering in her heart.

She kept the smile there all night and all the next day as she worked feverishly. She handled her customers before touching her own needs. Every so often, she’d look at the warrior ring and a whole new goofy smile would light up her face. Everyone asked what was so right and if she could share it with them. She told them that things were finally looking up. Zane was the reason.

The morning after, she was glad Javon searched her out. “ I have a proposal for you.”

“ Yes, I’ll marry you.” He joked with her.

She brushed the laughter aside. “ Actually, I was wondering if you were interested in becoming my apprentice?”

His face lit up seconds before he hugged her so tight she couldn’t breathe.

The days passed quickly enough with Javon helping her. She began to teach him the ropes of gathering information. He soaked up every detail. His thirst was insatiable. She moved on to teach him about the different cultures, societies, and races. He was a sponge for any valuable information, and it was then that she officially named him as her successor.

The day she received her reply from one of her more important contacts, she was floating on clouds. The letter said there were ten people with the name Inari on the continent. Seven were human, two were Nouvan, and one was vampire. She started eliminating each human lead. Her own mission was always last to be handled as she took care of her customers and Javon‘s education.

“ You’re an incredible person to do this for me. Thank you so much.” One of her customers told her as she showed them their entire family tree. They now could track down their parents and family, courtesy of her.

She glowed. “ Well, I aim to please. I hope you like them.” She sent the customer on her way before turning to her newest letter. Two months was nearing, and she had seven people eliminated. Only the three others of different race remained and would be of trouble. When she read the letter, her expectations were thrown away with a shocking truth. The Inari name couldn’t belong to any human. That meant her father had sex with a nouvan (highly unlikely considering she didn’t have a lick of magic nor did they mate with none other than their kind.) or she was half vampire, which would explain some of her supremacy in battle.

She was opting for the vampire. Inari the vampire was a resident of Ice Fire Colony. Perfect. Not far away. She prepared herself for the travel, posted a note for all customers to see that she would be traveling over the next month and would return soon. She apologized for the inconvenience before promising she would give everyone a discount upon her return. She only agreed on the discount when Javon told her it wasn’t fair she cut her services without a forewarning.

“ Where are you going?” Javon asked her as he watched her ready herself for travel the next morning. They had talked about what he would do while she was gone, and he agreed to keep out of trouble and learn all he could about the various cultures and races.

She had packed her satchel full of maps, her journal, and healing supplies for minor injuries. Her hunting knife was strapped to her leg and her scimitars were sharpened to a very fine point. “ If you run into trouble,” She handed him a small silver band that was identical to the one hanging around her neck. “ Just wish so fervently for me and I will feel your call. This ring with guide me to you. I’ll come as fast as I can.” She promised him.

He cocked his head at her. “ It works like that?” She nodded. She wasn‘t about to leave him without some way of knowing he well. “ How does-”

She took her hand and touched the metal. He yelped as the metal heated up in his hand. “ Think about the person who has the other half. Try.” She waited for him to try. The ring warmed up minutes later. She ruffled his hair. “ Good. Now that that‘s settled, I am easier with leaving you behind.” She was surprised when he threw himself at her and wrapped his arms around her. She wrapped her arm around his shoulders and hugged him back. “ Take care, Kid.”

He let her go and pushed her on her way. She laughed at him before going on her way. When she was outside of Wurner City, she wondered what she would encounter. She wasn’t sure. She was sure that she didn’t want to discover that she was born of two monsters. She was also sure that whatever the truth was, it was better than a lie.

Travel was light and easy. She was careful to keep away from the road. Despite her father’s evil character, he still had loyal supporters throughout Vimouf. (She couldn’t justify how, and she gave up when she realized she wasn’t going to ask him that. Some mysteries she could live with. Some mysteries she considered a little too dangerous to pursue. )The change of scenery was refreshing, though she missed Wurner City more than she realized.

Keeping her thoughts away from the city she called home, she concentrated on how she was going to find a way into Ice Fire Colony. Not many humans were allowed entrance to vampire colonies for good reason. The first and foremost is the very constant and real threat of their lives because they were surrounded by predators stronger and faster than them. Even she was weary of that. She may be faster than most people, but her edge in battle was over humans, not any other races. The vampires were equal to Nouvans, and Earthar were slightly less dangerous than those two races, but they were more dangerous than humans.

The only route that presented itself was simple. She had to find a contact that could get her into the colony and directly to Inari. But those contacts were very reserved with who they shared their access with, the second reason very few humans enter the vampire colonies. She had to find one. There at least had to be one milling around the settlements close to the colony, so she should concentrate on that area. If she failed there, she didn’t know where else to go unless she went through Aaron Carn, but she didn’t want to take that route unless she was willing to sleep with him (Which was out of the question. She was no w***e.)

That night while camped outside of Ballentine Town, she looked over the her maps. The settlements near Ice Fire Colony were The Cluster Villages. Just south of the Cluster Villages was a city, but the city wasn’t likely to be affected by Ice Fire Colony because of its small size and lack of distinction and importance. In the back of her mind, she marked Seda City as a possibility if The Cluster Villages failed her. With a plan of action, she made sure that she was prepared for what she may encounter.

Vimouf had considerable trouble with bandits and mercenaries, but not nearly as much trouble as it did with people killing for the sport of it. The hunt of people was outlawed by the law, but the law did little to prevent the sport. She didn’t want to end up a victim of people hunting if she could avoid it. Sharpening her scimitars and her skinning knife that night, she fell asleep with an uneasy feeling in her stomach. When she woke, the sun was rising above the horizon.

Bathing quickly, she packed her few belongings and started westward for Ice Fire Colony. Unfortunately a spot of bad weather hit, and she was forced to stop in Caisus Town to escape the torrent, heavy rains. Staying at a pricier inn, she settled herself into the corner of the inn’s sitting area on the second floor with her maps and journal. Reviewing the route she could take, she was engrossed her work without effort. She was startled from it by a voice so familiar that she swore Gadriel had come back to life. When she looked up, she nearly did a double take. If she hadn’t seen Gadriel beheaded, she would have sworn it was him standing in front of her older and wearing different clothes.

“ Hello.” The man greeted as he sat next to her. She noticed he had the same brown eyes Gadriel had and sat the same way too. Who was this stranger? “ May I introduce myself?” She didn’t respond as she began to work out a rough explanation for what was happening. “ I’m Thadrick Vasity. You don’t know who I am, but I’ve been traveling the land and looking for you.” She blinked, finding his words odd.

She was definitely mystified as to why he should be searching her, unless he had mistaken her for another. In any case, it was unsettling. “ Who do you think I am?” She asked him cautiously. Several explanations rose in her mind to what was happening, but she didn’t want to get ahead of herself and deceive herself of the truth.

He shifted his legs so that they were inches apart and his hand was resting on his thigh. “ I believe you are Blaise Gull. The description I received from all the customers in Wurner City fits you perfectly.” She felt shivers run down her spine. What did he want from her that he searched the land for her? What was worth it?

“ Don’t be afraid. I only came for answers.” He seemed to have read the fear in her eyes.

Answers? To what? He couldn’t be Gadriel’s twin. Gadriel was an only child. He didn’t say who his parents were because he didn’t want to endanger his family, but he did say he was an only child. “ I’ll try to help you as much as I can.” She responded sincerely. Setting aside her maps and journal, she directed her full attention on him. Best move through the conversation quickly if she intended to capitalize on her time.

He licked his lips before speaking. “ I’m sorry I couldn’t have reached you sooner. My family won’t be happy with me, but I was sidetracked.” He stopped speaking as he mulled over what he wanted to say. He could see that this woman was clearly Blaise Gull, but he felt no anger towards her at all. “ I was hoping you could tell me what happened to Gadriel.”

She nodded, expecting something of the such. “ He befriended me when I was fourteen, ten years ago. Our friendship was hidden till two years later when my father killed him. He was buried in Joust City in an unmarked grave. I could tell you where to look for the body, but I refuse to return to that city unless dragged unconscious.” She answered him, recalling the tears she cried as she watched her father bury Gadriel. She wanted to kill her father then, but she knew he would have stopped her fruitless attack of anger and taught her a very severe lesson afterwards in obedience and controlling one’s emotions. The tears almost pooled up in her eyes in the present.

Thadrick Vasity‘s eyes found her appearance very interesting because they didn‘t leave her. “ Our family lost him when he was taken by a stranger, who was traveling across countries collecting human slaves. We tracked the man down in Ressine, but the man said he had lost Gadriel to another group of people. We tried to track down their present locations, but that was without results. We did manage to find where they lived before.” He explained to her.

She nodded, finding the family‘s efforts to track their lost relative heartwarming. “ I’m sorry for your loss.” She consoled him.

He shrugged it off as if were nothing, but she could see the pain in his eyes. She knew how it felt to be disappointed after a long search for answers. She only hoped it didn‘t happen to her when she finally met her mother. “ I think my aunt will rest easier now knowing that her son is at peace now. You have helped me infinitely as well as our family.”

“ If you feel the need for a place to stay or any help at all, please come to us in Edgewood City.” He held out his hand. She shook it. “ I’m Thadrick Vasity, his cousin. My mother, his aunt, Emily Vasity is funding the search. She’ll be happy to know she didn’t spend all the wealth on nothing.” She grinned, knowing what it was to finally find answers that a person had been denied.

She handed him her card. He stared at it puzzled. “ Please feel free to contact me if you or your family needs help finding something. I’m a very affordable investigator, and I turn up more results than failures. I refund all my failures if the customer feels they weren’t satisfied.” Thadrick Vasity nodded, tucking it into his vest pocket.

He bowed as he took her hand and kissed it. “ Please take care and good luck with whatever journey you are planning. I look forward to your visit whenever you wish to do so.” He left her sitting there, leaving her wondering just what had passed between them. In the back of her mind, she wandered if he knew who her father was. She couldn’t help but wonder if he had known who her father was, would he have treated her just as kindly?

She allowed the meeting to remain in the front of her mind as she jotted Edgewood City into her journal with his name and a description of what he was to her before she returned to planning her trip. The next morning she took off across the Rothland Bridge to cross Rothland Lake instead of taking the extra day and half to go around it. She erased a day of traveling once she reached the other side of the lake and continued on past several villages and towns that she didn’t care about. Three days later, she arrived in Amato Village a day and half journey from The Cluster Villages and Seda City.

The village was like any other village with its cottages and farms and community of tight knit people. She stayed at the inn, expecting nothing. She was surprised by a woman, who seemed to find her safe to be around. She was weary, not sure what to expect this time. Thadrick Vasity was a pleasant surprise, but she didn’t expect her luck to keep running the way it has. The woman didn’t say anything for several minutes, and when Blaise thought she was just a curious villager, she spoke. “ What is the drink you’re drinking?” She asked Blaise.

Blaise gave her a vague answer. “ A whiskey.” A watered down whiskey to be exact.

The woman ordered another for her. “ I’m Veda.” She introduced herself.

Blaise nodded. “ Blaise.” She returned equally friendly.

The woman ordered a drink for herself. “ Where you traveling?”

Blaise didn’t know what she was trying to do, but she felt it wasn’t just being friendly. Her instincts told her so. “ To The Cluster Villages. What about your traveling?” She asked in return. It was always best to know something about a stranger she conversed with.

The woman shrugged. “ Between The Cluster Villages and here.” She shared freely. She gave Blaise a kind look of interest before looking away.

Blaise nodded. “ Why?” It was pointless to travel between places if you had no intention of settling down in the area. For some reason, she found this woman hard to place. Maybe it was the strange appearance like she was born in Ressine or in the northern human settlements, but she was sure it wasn’t. There was something else.

“ I have business in the area that keeps me in the area.” She replied simply.

Blaise understood that. She would have stayed in Wurner City if she wasn’t so curious about her mother. More than that, the curiosity was a thin veil for her heart’s greatest desire-to know if she came from one or two monsters. She wasn’t sure if she wanted the answer, but she was going to get it because she couldn’t settle for not knowing. “ I’m looking a woman named Inari. She’s a vampire.” She shared, not sure why she was sharing. Maybe it was to ease the burden of the knowledge.

The woman nodded, unbothered by what she said. “ I’m keeping peace between the landowners here. They have issues with each other and need a medium for communication.”

Blaise ignored her instincts as it became clear the woman was just being friendly and looking for another traveler to talk to. When they departed for the night, Blaise went to her room. She slept soundly, but her dream was very confusing. The people were now attempting to manipulate each other with threats to disrupt this life and that life. When she woke, she found herself tired but eager to reach The Cluster Villages.

Before she could leave Amato Village, Veda approached her at the western entrance. “ It was a pleasure talking to you last night. I hope we have the pleasure again.” Blaise sincerely replied that she did too. They parted ways there, Blaise for The Cluster Villages and Veda for Nemoth Farm.

Shortly after she started out, she was struck by the oddity of the woman. She spoke so strangely. Not only that, there was a strangeness to her character she couldn’t quite ignore, though she did an excellent job of it last night. To make the meeting even stranger, she just remembered the way Veda looked at her with searching eyes. Marking the meeting as strange, she didn’t think on it any more.

Travel was easy as the land was flat and very open. She found the soothing sounds of nature and constant presence of wildlife the very cure for some of her uneasiness. Uneasy because of the fact she was meeting the woman that gave birth to her, she wasn’t nearly as bothered by the fact the woman was a vampire. She only hoped she wasn’t born of two monsters, because if she was, she wasn’t sure how she would react.

The next morning, she dreaded reaching The Cluster Villages. She wasn’t sure if she wanted to know if she was born from one or two monsters. She wasn’t sure if she could face the cold truth. She had enough trouble with her father. What if her mother was just as bad, or worse? She shivered at the thought. Two people pulling her in two different directions. Pure hell.

She met two people who were traveling to Amato Village, spoke briefly with them before continuing on her way. Deep inside, a fear was nurtured with each fearful thought. Sometimes knowledge was a curse. Maybe she should heed the words of the anonymous scholar. The demand to know her true lineage pushed her to ignore the suggestion, her fear no match for her heart’s need. Even more, she needed to know if she was stronger than her brittle emotional balance was at present.

She spotted a roadside at noon. She took the one that would lead her to Malta Village. She needed to start somewhere, so why not practice organized travel? Starting towards Malta Village, she was plagued by the urge to turn around and run from the truth. She refused to be weakened by it. Malta Village’s border was guarded by patrolling warriors who eyed her as she approached. She offered them a bright smile, but they must have seen the fear in her eye because they stopped her.

“ Your name, traveler?” The warrior who stopped her asked in a brusque tone. He kept his weapon in a ready position, not doubting her for a second.

She answered him automatically. “ Blaise.” In the back of her mind, she wandered if she should just change her name. It would simplify her problems by two fold when dealing with strangers.

“ Your full name.” The warrior pressed coolly. She was given the distinct impression he wasn’t an easy person to get along with.

She hesitated. “ Blaise Gull.” She answered truthfully, regretting the second her last name came out of her mouth. She definitely needed to change her last name.

The warrior frowned. “ Entry denied.”

She groaned. Was her father that well known? “ I can‘t be denied. I didn’t do anything-”

“ No Gull shall enter this village.” The warrior declared firmly.

She frowned. Was there a vendetta against the family name? “ Look. I need to get into this village. I need to find someone. I need-”

“ No blood shall be spilled in Malta Village. No Gull will enter in any case.” The warrior held his ground, glaring at her like she had threatened his life, his family’s happiness, and everything he held dear would be taken from him.

She glanced around as soon as she sensed someone studying her, and when she looked up to the viewing tower, she saw an old man studying her with calculating, wise eyes. “ Look. I don’t care who you are or what you’re capable of. I will get into this village, and I will find someone who can get me access to my-”

The warrior withdrew his sword. She didn’t flinch as he made a threatening move with it. “ Come now, warrior. What do I look like? Faint of heart? I sure as hell aint faint of heart. Now move before I move you.” She warned him with every intention of moving him. She was not about to be denied entry to a place that could potentially hold the one person she needed.

“ Move aside, Tage.”

The command pulled both of their attention to the old man. Blaise attempted to figure out what was running through his mind by the expression on his face, but the shadows hid most of the expression from easy view.

The warrior gave her a hateful look before moving aside. She moved past him and entered to find three armed men waiting for her around the corner. She crossed her arms across her chest and frowned. If this was what she was going to deal with, she was going to abandon this approach and- “ No Gull is to enter Malta Village. It is my decree.” The old man told her as he climbed down from the viewing tower. “ But you are not your father and you have a chance to prove that you are not following his footsteps.”

She arched her eyebrow in surprise. “ Wow. A person who knows and doesn’t judge by my last name. I’m genuinely impressed.” She retorted. She doubted they would give her much room to prove herself and most likely call her a liar after she did her best to prove herself to them. A few who accepted her had done that before.

One of the armed men approached her. She stared at him, wandering what he was going to attempt. “ Hold still.” He ordered her gently.

She listened to him, not stupid enough to trust him completely. Any small move he made to hurt her, and she was going to injure him. He placed his hand on her shoulder and trailed it down to cover her heart. Her skin burned where his hand touched, even through the two layers of clothing. When he removed his hand, fear was in his eyes. “ She is no Eros Gull.” The man assured his superior. “ But she is not to be bothered or she is very capable of becoming worse.”

The old man nodded in approval. “ As long as we’re on clear terms here.” He approached her, and she backed away from him. She was not going to trust him if he gave the order no Gull would enter the village. Her father had wronged him, and she was always punished for her father’s evil deeds. “ Stop backing away.”

She vigorously shook her head no. “ I’m not ignorant.” Her voice cut across the air. “ I’ve lived with people long enough to know exactly how they feel about me when they learn who my father is. I’m not stupid.” She backed away further.

“ Don’t make me hurt you.” She warned him seriously.

He stopped approaching her. “ Very well.” She regarded him wearily. He pulled back his sleeve to reveal a long scar that disappeared under the clothing. She looked away. “ Your father is responsible for that.” He informed her as he pulled the sleeve back down.

She very slowly pulled back both her sleeves and revealed to him what she hid from prying eyes. He was forced to look away. “ I’ve always felt his sting.” She told him darkly as she hurried to pull her sleeves back down. Horrible scars for horrible scar. A fair trade.

The old man studied her now with a different expression. It was thoughtful.

“ You are how old?” He asked her. There was a tenderness to his voice, but he was no less inquisitive.

“ Twenty four.” She told him. Was she really that old? Where did the years go?

He nodded. “ You would not be old enough to remember.”

She frowned. “ Remember what?” His words were too different, too knowing.

The old man beckoned for her to follow him. She followed. Curious stares followed her, and she ignored them. His guard followed trailed after them. He lead her to a large cottage. She followed him inside, the warriors after her. They closed the door behind the last person. She panicked before hoping this wasn’t a trap.

“ Have a seat, Blaise. You will find that I was once as feared as your father.” She fought back a chuckle of mockery.

She took a seat nonetheless. The old man revealed his name to her. “ My birth name is Roald Bratte.”

“ How? Roald Bratte died years ago by the king’s elite warriors sent after him. Unless…” She began to see what he wasn’t saying. It was clear as daylight.

“ How did you survive them? Bribery? Blackmail?”

He found her knowledge surprising. “ You know of the name?”

“ I made it my mission to know all I could. That name is one of the most prominent warriors and enemies of the king of Vimouf. He considers my father his most serious threat but he does not provoke my father. I think he hopes that my father will die before the time comes for him to act.” She stopped speaking, realizing she was monopolizing him. She was here to listen to him.

He regarded her with his calculating eyes again. “ Your father and I were childhood companions.” She laughed at him. “ Impossible, yes, but it is so. He and I were inseparable and when either of us was sent on a mission, the other tagged along. Competing for supremacy.” She found that hard to picture.

“ When did that change?” She asked knowingly.

He frowned. “ Your father was ambitious. He had a plan to kill the leading bandit. I told him he was foolish. I would never follow him. He said I was weak and satisfied with nothing but my low position in life. I told him if he felt that way, he was on his own.” He poured himself a cup of hot tea.

“ And ever since you and he have been…” She made a separation motion with her hands. He nodded.

His eyes clouded over with memories before he spoke again. “ I watched as your father killed ruthlessly to reach his position of power. When he suddenly appeared with a baby girl, I knew he intended to continue his legacy. I had to stop him. I confronted him, but he was too strong. Too well protected. Even for two half vampires and a well trained warrior.”

Blaise nodded. “ What happened?” The story was opening up and revealing a great deal to her. Traveling certainly revealed a great deal to her. She liked that.

“ I gave him the name Eros The Scarred.” He told her quietly, almost troubled by it.

She shuddered. “ You-did that to his face? How?” As if she wanted to know, but she couldn’t stop herself from asking.

He shrugged, unbothered. “ I’m not sure, but the loss of blood should have killed him. He should’ve been blinded.” He sounded confused by how it turned out.

She stood up, hit by the reality of what could‘ve been. “ And what else did you see? Did you see how he imprisoned me in that home? Did you see how he killed my first friend? Did you see how he dragged me back after killing another friend? Why didn’t you just kill him when you had the chance?” She asked him accusingly. Clenching and unclenching her hands at her sides, she waited for an answer, ignoring her better side of her telling her not to accuse him of anything.

He stood up and faced her on even ground. “ I saw how you were never in the public’s eye. I heard how he killed someone that was close to you. I did not know that he killed another and dragged you back after, I’m assuming, your run for freedom.”

She whirled around and faced the wall. This was not happening. She didn’t have to live with him. If only her father’s enemy hadn’t failed to kill him…The anger welled up in her was too much. “ And my mother?” She demanded from him, turning back around. She had to know more. It was a curse now. She swallowed any resistance to knowing.

“ I did not know any woman was foolish enough to go near him.” The honest response caused her to kick the nearest thing, a crate. It snapped under the force.

Then I came from two monsters, she thought to herself. How could she be so cursed. “ I’m not a monster. I wasn’t born of two monsters. I wasn’t-” She stopped speaking, something hitting her. How could she be so preferable to seeing people happy and smiling if she was born from two monsters? She couldn’t. “ I’m not a monster.” She whisper in relief. She raised her gaze to meet four questioning, almost fearful gazes. “ Sorry about the crate.” She apologized sheepishly.

Roald Bratte just laughed at her. “ I’ll be damned if that isn’t the same temper of you fa-” He stopped right there before anything else could be said. It was best left unsaid that she resembled her father in more ways than one. “ The crate will be used for firewood. What are you searching for in Malta Village?”

She didn’t see what harm could come from revealing to him her plan. “ My mother, Inari…is a vampire. Hardly any humans are allowed entrance to a colony, but if I could find…a contact manager living among humans, I could have them arrange a meeting between me and her.” She didn’t reveal how much she wanted it.

Roald Bratte nodded. “ Are you aware half vampire children are thought of as a hunt for those who don’t support vampires and humans mating.” She said she did. “ Are you aware that if you were to enter that colony, everyone would know you’re half vampire.” She nodded. “ Are you willing to accept death as the consequence of the meeting?” She nodded again, saying that she would not care if death came to her as long as she met her mother.

One of his guard spoke. All attention was turned to him. She identified him as the one that read her soul. “ I could point you in a direction.” He suggested so casually she couldn‘t believe him to be a simple third party.

She cocked her head at him. “ Which direction?” She could interrogate him another time.

“ Amato Village.” He told her automatically.

“ I was already there.” She retorted tiredly. All the knowledge was burning her body’s energy for other activities. She sat down on the broken crate and rubbed her temples. Too much at the same time. Her father, her mother…would it always be like that? Would she let her parents dictate her life?

Roald rose from his seat and moved to her side. “ Come. You need rest. Use my bed.” She didn’t protest as he guided her to his room. The moment her head hit the pillow, she was out. Her usual varying dream didn’t come this time. When she woke, she found herself disarmed and wrapped in the warm blankets. Stirring, she yawned loudly and stretched her arms. “ You look like an angel when you sleep.” Roald startled her.

She recovered quickly. As soon as she lowered her arms, she realized her long sleeved shirt was gone and in its place, she had on a nightgown. Her pants, boots, and socks along with shirt, vest, and weapons were on a chair on the other side of the room. “ Who changed me?” She asked him critically. If any man touched her, he would suffer…

Roald pointed to a servant woman. “ This is my cousin, Metrodora.”

Metrodora smiled at her. “ Don’t worry. No one saw your body but me.” She assured Blaise.

Infinitely happier, she nodded. “ Well, I have much work to see to. Including interrogating that guard of yours that said I should head back to Amato Village…” she moved from the bed, and the moment her feet touched the cold floor, she grinned. “ Ah. Nothing like the feeling of peace.” She grabbed her weapons and unsheathed them. “ Tell me, Roald. Where did these come into the picture?”

Roald smiled in memory. “ Your father thought he was going to be smart. He was going to have the best quality weapon he could get his hands on. That’s when he ran into a blacksmith whose name he wouldn’t divulge and had these made. Very fine weapons. I’m surprised he parted with them.” She arched her eyebrow in surprise before letting it fade away. “ Yes, Dora?”

Blaise turned around to find Metrodora appearing uneasy. “ What is it, Metrodora?” She asked concerned.

Metrodora shrugged weakly. “ Blaise, why are you so marked? Your body is so…” She was at a loss of words. “ I could hardly believe one could be scarred so badly.” Blaise thought she was almost embarrassed by it. “ How did you survive all of it?” There was a sick curiosity that was hard to resist.

Blaise chuckled. “ Obviously you don’t understand the meaning of life.”

“ But your life is so depressing. Why would you want to continue living?”

“ Good question. I think I have an answer.” Blaise retorted sincerely as she slipped on her socks before slipping on her pants. Roald looked away but remained where he was. “ You see, I always wanted to battle my father’s influence. If I could give the world a little good, I was doing what I was born to do.” She slipped her feet into her boots. “ And then there was the sudden attachment I felt to my life when I was almost killed at the age of seventeen. Couldn’t understand it then but I think..”

She paused as she thought about it. “ Yes, I’m certain I understand it.” She beamed as she found herself making headway with old demons. She looked up at Metrodora. “ I wanted to see my father’s death. He took so much from me I would not rest till he breathed his last. That’s still my wish, but I couldn’t do that now. Not when he’s so powerful and well protected. Suicide.” She gave Roald the leave now look. He left. She slipped the nightgown over her head and slipped on her shirt and vest.

As she tightened the straps, she went on speaking. “ Even now, I have more of a reason to live. My apprentice looks up to me like the role model he so desperately needs. My life has impacted so many others in a positive way that I couldn’t give it up now. I make people happy, comfortable, and free. I give them answers to questions they always needed answers to but couldn’t find..” Her voice trailed into nothing as she realized the greatest pleasure she had was serving. She liked serving people.

Metrodora nodded. “ I admire that. I wish I was as strong as you.” The declaration made Blaise blush. “ May I call you a friend?”

Blaise blushed again. “ Yes, you can. Can I call you Dora? Metrodora is too long.” Metrodora giggled and said yes. They shook each other’s hands. “ It’s a pleasure.”

Two days passed as Blaise worked Walton over. He didn’t tell her a name, and she was about to beat it out of him when he finally allowed her some hints.

“ She’s difficult to…convince.” He told her as they rested from sparring. Equals in battle, they enjoyed the challenge the other presented. “ She has this reason…too weak. You’ll be a pawn. That’s what she saif.”

Blaise listened. “ Sounds something like Veda would say. I told her that if I could just meet the woman, I would be happy. She said if she were a friend, she would be concerned about me. Vampires treat people like pawns…” The certainty of her words hit Blaise particularly hard. She couldn’t be a vampire. No way. No. She was deceiving herself again. “ In any case, I am glad that I found Roald. He had really freed my own enforcement of my father’s control over me.”

Walton gave her a strange look. “ Why in the world would you-”

She laughed harshly. “ I’m not sure. I just do it. Let’s spar again. I’m not sore yet.” He jumped up eagerly. He faced off with her and they returned to their stalemate challenge. From the sidelines, Metrodora watched with awe as she watched their graceful bodies move with action and purpose.

Roald stopped their stalemate challenge when he approached with a broad grin on his face. “ Great news. You have a visitor.” He pointed at Blaise.

Blaise pointed at herself in disbelief. “ Me? Who?” Who could track her down to visit her? Surely not Thadrick Vasity.

Roald just smiled. “ Just treat him with respect.” He asked of her. As Blaise waited for the person to come into view, she wandered who could possibly track her down to Malta Village. When her eyes landed on the royal crest of the uniforms the two warriors wore on their chests proudly, she began to feel her throat dry out. She knew exactly who before her mind declared it.

“ Roald, I swear if the king appears, I’m going to start sprinting in the opposite direction.” She warned him. This was not what she wanted. She wanted to avoid the king at all costs. She could not meet the man without coming from the meeting without a mark. She squeezed her eyes shut as the king came into view with a line of fawning women. Sure enough when she turned around to see if Metrodora was of the same opinion, it was very clear she was.

Blaise seemed to be the only woman completely unaffected by his handsome face and perfect body. “ Oh my lordy lord. Why me? Why me?” She wiped the sweat from her forehead and gave Walton a help me look. He returned with an apologetic one. She frowned now. What was she going to do? “ Hello, Your Majesty.” She greeted him stiffly as he approached.

He studied her sweaty appearance before speaking. His voice was silky and warm. It invited her to listen. “ I see you’ve been training. Would you mind engaging me in a sparring match?” His request was too simple, but she wasn’t about to make him upset with her.

She turned her back on him, took a big drink of water from her travel canteen, and turned around. “ Let’s spar.” He grinned, unsheathing his sword. She readied her scimitars. He attacked her, and she deflected his strike. When she returned the strike, she was surprised by his ease and skill. Reevaluating him, she attacked quicker and lower. He blocked and attacked in her weak areas. She felt her muscles complain, but she ignored it. This was too important to listen to her body’s demands.

Their contest of skill went on for over ten minutes before she collapsed from exhaustion. “ Enough. You are the victor.” She admitted as she accepted Walton’s help to her feet. Emptying her canteen down her throat, she let her scimitars rest in the scabbards. “ You are not as weak as I expected.” She shared fearlessly.

The king, who was not without his own exhaustion, nodded. “ And you were the formidable opponent even after hours of sparring with your partner.” He allowed her. She blushed from the compliment. “ I have come to speak with you. A sign of trust and an opportunity for you to expand your investigating resources.”

She frowned, not liking the sounds of it. “ What would a small time person like me have anything to offer you?” She forgot about her exhaustion and her ragged appearance.

The king answered her directly. “ Your father fears you.”

She nodded. “ No more than I fear him, I assure you.” She returned honestly.

The king went on carefully. “ I was hoping to hack out an agreement with you. An agreement between two powers.”

She laughed harshly. “ I am no power, Your Majesty, nor will I ever strive for that position. I am simply helping people find answers to questions they desperately need answered.” She started for the cottage. “ Excuse me, but I think we would both prefer to hold a meeting when we’re both presentable.” The king agreed with her.

Hours later as Metrodora set a special dinner in front of the king, his warriors, her father, his guards, and Blaise, Blaise and the king faced each other.

“ As I had said, your father fears you. Why?”

She shrugged as she began to cut her meat into small pieces. “ I suppose it’s because I took away his customers. Without them, he doesn’t have the ability to spread his control outside of Joust City.” She told him her theory before starting to eat. The juicy meat cooked just right sent her stomach crowing in thanks. “ Great cooking.“ Dora blushed from the compliment.

The king nodded. “ So if you were to handle some business for me, I would be able to secure your loyalty?” His question was so nonchalant.

She stopped eating and stared at him. He was asking her? Why in the world didn’t he just demand it? “ I wasn’t aware you were after my loyalty, but now that I am, you will have it as long as you respect me.” The compromise was simple and straightforward.

She yelped as the ring burned into her skin. She pushed herself away from the table as images of Javon being beaten by the men from the south side of Wurner City caused her eyes to narrow in anger. She could hear their threats as clear as day. “ Stay out of south side..or you’ll end up like Deder Sarto.” She clenched her hands as the vision cleared up. Her eyes watered from the vision.

“ Are you alright?” Walton asked concerned. He touched his hand to her forehead. “ Goodness gracious. You’re burning up.”

She pulled his hand away. The fever was a side effect of the ring’s vision.

“ Just my apprentice being threatened by some old and constant enemies. They’ll suffer when I return.” She told him completely ignoring the concerned look in his eyes. Bless his soul for caring about her.

No one spoke for a moment before she looked at the king. “ You will protect me from my father‘s will to move me back to Joust City, and I will swear to remain loyal to you as long as you and I are not content with killing each other.” She bargained with him. She held out her hand. The king considered it a moment before shaking it. “ Now that that’s over with, let’s enjoy the meal.”

Walton frowned. “ What did you mean about your apprentice?” He asked.

She explained about Javon, how she was teaching him the ropes of her job, and how before she left that she left him with the other twin of the ring she wore around her neck. She explained how they worked and then described in vivid detail what she saw happen to Javon. “ No one hurts him. Goodness knows I don’t deserve him, but I do love him as if he were my own.” Not a single doubt about that.

Walton nodded. “ I pity your enemy.”

“ As do I.” She agreed. She looked up to meet the king’s eye and beamed.

“ Something wrong, Your Majesty?” She asked him. He said nothing.

Roald stopped her before she left for Amato Village the next morning.

“ Blaise, before you go, is there anything you want to know?”

She was surprised by his offer. “ Roald, if I could ask you what I truly wanted to know, you couldn’t give me a straight answer anyway.” He couldn’t. The question was almost absurd.

Roald grinned cockily. “ Try it on me.” He challenged her.

She phrased it carefully. “ My father…was he born from caring parents? Where did he go wrong? Did he ever have a heart?” If he had a heart, then she wasn’t born of a monster but a changed man. It was something she started thinking about ever since she made Roald’s acquaintance.

Roald answered her question carefully. “ His mother was a w***e. His father was a traveling mercenary. My father was his father’s partner in crime.” He explained for her, searching for a better explanation. “ Did he have a heart? I think at one point, he might have but his father was strict and enforced his teachings like he enforced them on you.”

She felt pity for the first time in her life towards her father. Poor man. Treated callously like a tool. “ Thank you, Roald. That answers it.” She pecked him on the cheek and started off. She was surprised to find the king waiting for her outside of Malta Village’s entrance. “ Yes, Your Majesty?” She asked him wearily.

The king nodded. “ It is time to swear your loyalty.”

“ How do I swear my loyalty?” She asked him edgily.

Kneel, he ordered her. She frowned. Kneel before him? Forget that. She hesitated in her defiance before obeying. Kneeling slowly, she waited for the next order. When none came, she spoke. “ Your Majesty, you have my loyalty till you and I are content with killing each other.”

The king placed his hand in front of her face. She forced herself to kiss the ring. He ordered her to stand. She wanted to slap him for the belittling gestures he made her go through. “ I will accompany you to Wurner City now.” She nearly groaned in aggravation. She could only tolerate him for a short while before becoming exasperated with keeping her thoughts to herself.



© 2009 EMZ


Author's Note

EMZ
The first half went through a fourth review and the last half didn't so be kind

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 6, 2009


Author

EMZ
EMZ

Leechburg, PA



About
I'm a writer looking to get published. Whether I do or don't doesn't matter much because as long as I write I'm happy. I can't write horror or mystery. But I write everything else. I dabble in poetry... more..

Writing
Peril's Lure Peril's Lure

A Book by EMZ


Blaise's introduction Blaise's introduction

A Chapter by EMZ