Education ain't all that!

Education ain't all that!

A Story by drtism


Why is it a literally a nearly forgone conclusion that when but a mere popper proffers the sage advice that Education is the key to success, or at the very least the gateway to opportunity, that not a soul in the room raises their hand in opposition for fear of embarrassing themselves. It seems to be an outright non sequitur, or certainly committing intellectual suicide, to suggest otherwise. Well my hand is up! I am personally an enormous advocate of education as it is requisite for the development for critical thinking, and often, provides the stimulus for minds and great passions to awaken. However it is only through the deeper concept of Knowledge that the individual can truly be elevated.

Knowledge, or Knowing, what truly is, about any subject, only manifests when the mind, and real life experience, magically merge! Reading a book or parroting what one has been taught in a classroom has but a benign effect when set against the comparatively divine revelation one feels with the potent exhilaration of true Knowledge! One can not read nor be instructed about death, or love or anything of any import for that matter without experiencing its visceral truth in ones very marrow! It is only through Knowledge, the true guttural and nearly spiritual yet undefinable but uniquely human understanding, that the individual is freed, that society is elevated and that the world can literally be transformed!

We have become a culture of quick fixes, techniques and technical learning. Just give me what I need to "know"! By focusing on the proximate goal of getting information into people's heads we foster a detached culture that is certainly in line with the consumerism that keeps the machine churning, but we sacrifice the critical thinking and in some ways the very soul of the individual. It's about how to learn and think, not about what to do or how to do a task! Specialization has led to isolation and a desperation among both the individual and the collective.

© 2015 drtism


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015

Author

drtism
drtism

Wilsonville, OR



About
I have finally woken up after thinking I was a fully functioning human for so long. I took the traditional path for a man of my sort. Lots of college and lots of supposed successes. In nine years o.. more..

Writing
Waking Up Waking Up

A Poem by drtism