How I got here

How I got here

A Story by drtism




From birth to age 29 was a blur to me, though I remember it all with crystal clarity. Mine is the quintessential creation of a high functioning, over achieving Human Doing! In this day and culture, if you fit the mold...and you drink the Cool Aid....and you fool yourself into a false awareness.....you get Molded!

When I woke up, like a newborn, I was bawling uncontrollably sans the doctors slap on my a*s! Like Neo, I began my training in earnest in this brave new world I was now living in. I possessed an insatiable hunger for knowledge as I had been starved, despite the doctorate, two professional degrees, and worldly success that was supposedly mine. Reading five books at a time, I devoured hundreds and hundreds of volumes of every sort. I was searching with the angst only one who shares my affliction can truly comprehend.

Fast forward 16 years. I'm alone in a new apartment. What the hell now?!? At first I need to replace this hole, this void, this emptiness! I'm not the type to live alone! I was born to be a father, a husband, a leader, the best of the best!

Depression, debauchery, and surviving, not coping!, just surviving for the next 12 months was all I could manage. Eventually, with a forced encouragement, from a friend of the first order and I could sleep in a bed with sheets and store my underwear in a drawer instead of a pile in the corner.

Slowly, albeit falling backwards innumerable times, I started to care, a little, again. My experience, "what was now", had began to sink in a bit. Endless hours of watching Game of Thrones over and over gave way to reading and then writing a bit. Then I noticed something! I like this s**t! I like to learn, to think, to express me! The spark that had once burned so brightly was rekindled! It was different now though, I was different now! I know myself a bit better, I accept myself more, I like myself, I love myself!!!

Now, I get surges of energy that come from within and I can actually channel them! Where before my energy was strong, it was unfocused! Now I can aim a bit better! Before I hadn't even noticed this damn thing had a scope on it!

© 2015 drtism


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on February 26, 2015
Last Updated on February 26, 2015

Author

drtism
drtism

Wilsonville, OR



About
I have finally woken up after thinking I was a fully functioning human for so long. I took the traditional path for a man of my sort. Lots of college and lots of supposed successes. In nine years o.. more..

Writing
Waking Up Waking Up

A Poem by drtism