Essays: On Reading

Essays: On Reading

A Story by Dave "Doc" Rogers
"

Inspired by Tigerlobo's article "Reading, Writing, and Thinking--Oh My!"

"

Someone once said, and wisely so, that readers are leaders and leaders are readers.

The great advantage of reading is learning. Not learning for the sake of learning, but learning from the perspectives of the writer; even if it is history or mathmatics or some 'technical' piece.

Reading instills thinking. Thinking instills thought... by extention, analysis. Analysis is ordering one's thoughts along a logical form that allows the information communicated to become 'reasonable' in understanding. The reader may disagree, but the thought process is accomplished.

The lessons learned from much reading are the examples given of ordering thought and in turn communicating those thoughts cogently.

I enjoy reading something wherein the English usage is above elementary school or primary school. To find a piece that is written above the high school or secondary school level is a gem. I enjoy reading for the sake of the play on words or the sheer wonderous use of a dying language. English. It is not elitism. No. It is appreciation for an art form that is slowly dying, use of words to express thought, to communicate deeper things than Maslow's 5.

Reading is living inside someone else's head for the few paragraphs of well constructed thought. It is entertainment, yes. It is also education. What excited joy I had when I discovered first editions of Churchill's History of the English Speaking People at a bargain store. Did they not know what they had? Or, when I found Einstein's book explaining his theory of relativity. Hmm. Perspectives of genius, perspectives of the scholarly.

Experience comes from living the mistakes in life; wisdom comes from learning from others' experience. How will anyone know unless they find the mentor to receive directly this wisdom hard earned? With true mentors rare and hard to find, we can read their words, think on them, and learn wisdom.

With much exposure to many types of writing, readers learn the avenues to ordering their own thoughts. And, thinking leads to personal growth. It is not the person with the most toys that wins in life. It is the person who has learned much wisdom and is at peace with life.

Thanks for allowing me to vent a bit! :)
 

© 2008 Dave "Doc" Rogers


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh I love this and I can't believe that I'm the first to leave a review. You've laid out your argument decisively and then gave points and reasons why it was so. I especially loved how you closed it and that statement is just too true. Sadly we live in a world where people seem content to dumb everything down to a point of banality. Celebrities aren't expected to be anything but eye-candy and those who rate headlines are on a fast road to oblivion.

I guess I'm naiv� but I thought everyone here was here for the same purpose when I joined this site. I have since learned that that's not so. But thankfully there are those who are seeking to learn and improve as I am.


Posted 17 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The more I read your thoughts the more I like you. You sir, are a master wordsmith.

Posted 17 Years Ago


Doc..
I think on my last review of an essay you wrote on the connection of reding and thinking, I said it should be in every newspaper in the country. It was that insightful. You are such a great advocate and defender of language, and reading. I love reading your thoughts. This is another great piece. You have a fan in me. I believe your words should be out there for "everyone" to read. Exceptional..

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, excellent essay, I enjoy your theory of the written word.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We learn there for we must read or have read. This was a great piece and really summed up a lot of truths. You really did a great job with this one. I read it twice and it had great points to it and was purposeful.

Great Job!!

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoy reading something wherein the English usage is above elementary school or primary school. To find a piece that is written above the high school or secondary school level is a gem. I enjoy reading for the sake of the play on words or the sheer wonderous use of a dying language. English. It is not elitism. No. It appreciation for an art form that is slowly dying, use of words to express thought, to communicate deeper things than Maslow's 5.

This right here above is almost fuel for a mission statement for those writers who occassionally try to throw in a three or four syllable word. I find in my day job - there is the technical jargon to which I have grown accustomed but it is not really an art form. But when I am faced with a blank page - my words (any writers words) are the raw materials from which we create - just as your piece states. Writing is a dying art form. With text messaging and 20 minute plot lines - who thinks anymore? Thank you for speaking up about this.


Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Couldn't agree more! A writer is a reader first...if you want a challenge, read Dante's Inferno!
Then there's Kahlil Gibran, he'll take you on an adventure into the realm of inteligence!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

this is a great read lots of good points in this ... good job!!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

and what a vent! I love reading too and for a while was an esl tutor. Great write! I enjoyed reading this!

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
What to say that others haven't? I agree with all that these past reviewers have said. This is clear, well-spoken, and obviously comes from a writer who loves to learn. I do too. It's fun, sometimes depressing, but overall, essential for any writer or thinker.

I enjoyed reading this.
J



Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for sending me Tigerlobo's article "Reading, Writing, and Thinking--Oh My!" it was an interesting article. I think it is important to recognise that there may be genuine barriers to learning and that includes reading. That said, I agree that reading does enrich our lives. I love the feel of old books and love to think how others have handled and been inspired by them.

Reading instills thinking. Thinking instills thought... by extention, analysis. Analysis is ordering one's thoughts along a logical form that allows the information communicated to become 'reasonable' in understanding. The reader may disagree, but the thought process is accomplished.

Very well expressed.

Posted 17 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

253 Views
14 Reviews
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on October 11, 2008

Author

Dave "Doc" Rogers
Dave "Doc" Rogers

Montgomery, AL



About
Artist • Author • Poet • Preacher • Creative • I am a thinker, ponderer, assayer of thoughts. I have had a penchant for writing since childhood. I prefer "Doc" as an hommag.. more..

Writing