sleepless night, restless morning

sleepless night, restless morning

A Story by M. Howell

9/3/12


I keep staring at this ghostly, radiant angel, the subject of a faded Rococo-era painting that hangs opposite the bed in my room. I keep pleading with her to remove this heavy pit from within my stomach, but each time I do, she remains motionless, gazing off at her neighbor in the next frame on the wall.

 

It’s late and this is my body crying out for rest, but it’s just as early and this is my soul crying out for yours!

 

And each time the angel disregards my plea, I pace the room, searching drawer after drawer, under the bed and between the sheets, but you’re nowhere to be found! ...I pause in the center, scratching my chin...then pull every shoebox from the shelf in the closet! ...but turn up only orange and yellowed photographs of people living lives that aren’t ours. I flip each one over, scanning for the inscription of a date that hasn’t yet come, or with luck, maybe the little details, like your favorite color or your first kiss...but nothing.

 

Where, oh where are you tonight?

© 2012 M. Howell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

the last women i let watch me from the wall while i slept was farrah fawsett in her red swim suit. at the time she was an angel (a charley's angel) too.
a sweet short.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2012
Last Updated on September 24, 2012

Author

M. Howell
M. Howell

Haiku, HI



About
little boy lost, he takes himself so seriously. more..

Writing
idea - 9/24 idea - 9/24

A Story by M. Howell


for dad. for dad.

A Story by M. Howell