Butterfly

Butterfly

A Poem by Dilshan Senaratne

A flutter of wings in the far horizon, with it winds of misery brings......
A butterfly one amongst the mass seems to have caught my eye.
Through day by night a simple wish just to touch those golden wings.
I lie awake unable to sleep at any given time or place.
All I seem able to conceive is the butterfly in a far away place......

So begins my journey across the seas in the trail of the stardust she left behind.
Down the path that many have walked, never to come back alive.
Every moment serving only to deepen the desire in my soul.
Till the dark depths that I created in their confines swallow me whole....

Finally one day I found her the object of my desire.
But the innocent flare that she left burning has grown out of proportion through the days.
So much so that nothing short of complete possession would quench its thirsty flames.
Just the thought of her being desired, by someone else much the same way.
Strikes fear to my heart; I am protective a mad man caught up in a murderous embrace. unable to suffer anymore, I caught her broke her golden wings: denied her flight.
Never again.....

She is a free soul that dreams of flight, of magical places far away.
She mends her wings and the Butterfly, in a gust of wind flies away.
Neither my weary spirit, nor tortured body would come no longer to my aid.
I lie down with not much choice; to watch her fly far away.......

Colourful butterflies a spectrum of colour they arouse ones deepest desires.
Is it her fault for being endowed such stunning beauty; meant to seduce the mind?
Or is the flaw mine for desiring what is meant to be desired in design?
Its the fault of neither: but here we are me lying dead on some unknown land.
From dust unto dust I shall decay, in my eyes the fatal sight:
Of colourful wings fluttering far away........

© 2014 Dilshan Senaratne


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A splendid read and write...Thank you for sharing...:)..................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
1 Review
Added on January 15, 2014
Last Updated on January 15, 2014

Author

Dilshan Senaratne
Dilshan Senaratne

Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka



About
I'm a freelance writer, based in Sri Lanka, the paradisaical island off the Indian coast. My professional career as a writer spans back 04 years when I first started contributing features to a local n.. more..

Writing