Shine

Shine

A Poem by Dilshan Senaratne

Shine, like the candlelight, slowly flickering and never really making it through the night.

Shine like the candlelight that ripples across her face as she looks and sees but doesn’t realize that the love she gives away so freely can’t be bought back with his lies.

 

Shine in darker places where simply being dark will suffice like the light from a candle that burns away on both ends, one for yourself and the other for the world.

Don’t forget that there is light as long as you’re willing to look and if you look but can’t find, maybe it’s time you shine, like the lights that have gone out before you, because they burned brighter than they were told.

 

Be bold. Find strength in courage and falter only when the purpose has been served and innocence saved.

A child who burns at the doorway burns nevertheless, so carry him out, don’t do the bare minimum in hopes that the minimum will bear itself, strive to strike fear in the shadows that cast looming shapes in the night.

Burn brighter, find the boogeyman in the closet and the monster, creeping under the table, maybe all Red Riding Hood needed was light to see a little clearer, shed light where you are needed and find solace in the absence of want. Know that no matter how hopeless it seems, the stars show up every night to pin holes in the darkness.

 

Shine like new found inspiration and burn till the nights grow shorter. Know that fireflies are leading armies of toy soldiers to wager wars against the night, and if you’ve seen one it’s proof that no matter how small the forces, you can still make a difference and leave a scar where it's needed; because all you need to expose the wolves in sheep skin is to rid them of their fleeces and weave yarns with the wool like rumpletiltskin, hook, line and sinker intertwined in ridding the world of all evil.

 

Shine like lights on a Christmas tree lit up in the autumn, since when is it seasonal to bring cheer? Send Santa Claus the reminder, maybe if he moves a little more and worked harder they’ll remember him as something less than a quarter pounder with a beard.

 

Shine; where streetlights make wagers, don’t bow down when you see another light, if you learned anything from the shadows behind your bedroom door, you’ll know that there’s always a little room for illumination.

 

Shine like the fires of an effigy burning away regret with resolution, find in your heart, the tongues of flames apostles spoke in, cos fire is a universal language with just one word; redemption.

 

Find precedence in the years that pass and maybe one day you’ll shine brighter than you were intended to but shine ever brighter. If society is anything it’s a place for you to make amends for the thousands who die out without a spark nor even a flicker.

 

Shine like light and not dark things in darker places, set fire and stand reason to the spectrums that burn brighter than you and I ever did by ourselves; let’s burn brighter. 

© 2014 Dilshan Senaratne


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on January 14, 2014
Last Updated on January 14, 2014

Author

Dilshan Senaratne
Dilshan Senaratne

Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka



About
I'm a freelance writer, based in Sri Lanka, the paradisaical island off the Indian coast. My professional career as a writer spans back 04 years when I first started contributing features to a local n.. more..

Writing