Battle Mage Chapter 1.2

Battle Mage Chapter 1.2

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez
"

We meet the hero, Jules, a loner who has many secrets.

"

Jules felt a growing itch that would not stop moving around. He had a dog in this little piece of s**t he called a house. It was one story, ugly rug of some strange color that was perhaps not as brown in tint as it is now, and a big screen television that was his pride and joy. Also in his possession of the most humble house in America, was the world’s comfiest couch which he never recalled just how he came into possession of.

He was not sure if this was the insomnia kicking in, not allowing him to drift to peace, or if maybe the dog had fleas which he did not know about, and they were now crawling all over him, jumping in leaps from one section of his body to another. The very thought creeped him out. He got up and got ready to take a shower.

As he was walking though, he remembered hearing about how the water washes away the skins natural oil, and since he was never one for lotion, that and someone once told him that caffeine dries up the skin…

He brushed it off as hippy nonsense. He perfered the idea of fleas on his dog than actually having to cut back on a nice meditating shower, or the drink that gives him the get up and go. The opening song words for Aqua Teen Hunger force had just started. He began to reconsider the shower and decided instead to sit back on the potentially flea infested couch.

First thing he did was be brushed away his thick comforter he used as a blanket. Then he peered as close as he could and found nothing moving, nothing jumping, and nothing of weird mini insect like that made him want to gag. He thanked god for a brief moment, being glad that it was at best his paranoia kicking in.

Jules allowed himself this moment of fun, he cuddled in, wrapped himself up like a burrito, put his head on a nice pillow and began to wait for the adventures of Master Shake, Meatwad and Frylocke.

Just recently he had been re getting into television again, the past few months he had been without power. It was only until his friend Carlos was able to secure a Electric staff that Jules was able to power his house without ever having to pay taxes to people he would love to tell shove off too.

Instead Jules was used to spending hhis time reading, and devoting himself to some of his other crafts. He essentially found himself turning into a workaholic, or as best as one could be. He found himself doing drills, of walking through the worst neighborhoods in town and blending in without being noticed or being one with the element of a given street.

When it would be a predominantly Mexican gang territory, he found ways to mimmick their speech, and let his voice reflect their accents. He once walked the back alley of the Yakuza neighborhood and was able to blend in so well, he found himself receiving orders to chop off a persons hand for recompense.

He found his mind drifting. Something dark was in the air. He knew this feeling. Jules sat up and began to pace on the floor, allowing the thud of his ankle bone to echo from the kitchen walls not three feet from the living room couch.

As he began to pace, he began to lose himself in thought. He wondered if his fellow council members were feeling this too. Instantly he grabbed the remote and looked for a news channel. Yes, it was a murder. He sensed it all too well. A murder happened, high profile, one that people are going to talk about for months.

He stopped himself. A high profile murder? He recalled two in the past month. One was in Canada, some person he never knew was Canadian. Famous singer of sorts, the other was a B list comedian known for the plastic surgery she was using to look young. With a final click, he sent the channel to the news.

In big letters it said, “Breaking News: Lindsey Garner assassinated in home!”

He quickly began reading the scroll and listening quicker than they could talk. The phone rang and Jules turned all his attention to that.

He picked up the cordless near the dash, “Is this who I think it is?”

Carlos’s voice came over the other line. Carlos always liked to sound cryptic; it was part of his nature believing himself to be in charge of their little late night society of warriors. “I need you at the address of…”

Jules understood, “I already know.”

There was a pause, dramatic effect? Or perhaps Carlos wasn’t a fan of being cut off. After that moment, all Jules heard was, “Good, I leave this to you. Report your findings to the group Wednesday, earlier if you think this is highly urgent.”

Jules, allowing himself to play the part of a soldier, “Will do. Jules out.” He then pressed the hang up button. He then turned off the television and walked to his bedroom. After taking a minute, he picked out some jeans, a black shirt that had his favorite show on it, a lesser known show at that. On his desk was a normal sheet of lined paper, he took out the scissors, cut a star on it, colored it yellow and stickied it up to his shirt.

The star looked really bad, like kindergarten bad! Didn’t matter to Jules, he had to hurry. He got his boots that wore out almost a decade ago and put them on. He walked into the bathroom and took a look at the mirror. He looked like a hobo who had lost his mind.

He chuckled to himself and began to leave the room. The front gate door opened and Jules set out for his car. He thought about calling his apprentice when he got his cell phone out but then decided it was best to put the little flip phone back into his pocket. If the feeling he received earlier was accurate, bringing her along for the ride might prove to be more dangerous than necessary.

The motor revved and his car got into gear and was gone.



© 2013 Daniel Rodriguez


Author's Note

Daniel Rodriguez
Not much happens it is merely set up for chapter 2. We have the murder and we meet our hero. Next Chapter will include the initial investigation and the meeting of the rest of the cast.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
Added on May 19, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013


Author

Daniel Rodriguez
Daniel Rodriguez

Phoenix, AZ



About
Hello, my name is Daniel Antonio Rodriguez and I am a wannabe writer. I am 27 years old and have been actively writing for the past 12-13 years. I enjoy writing scripts and breaking out into niche gen.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Daniel Rodriguez