Don't Call Me An Inspiration

Don't Call Me An Inspiration

A Poem by Petrichor
"

This is my first "long" poem about the newly controversial issue of calling those with disabilities "an inspiration". This is more of an experimental draft at the moment, and I would love feedback!

"
Don't call me an inspiration,
because I know a guy in a wheelchair
who sells cocaine to high school students.
Don't call me an inspiration 
unless you're ready for a fairy- tale of broken veins 
and plastic hearts.
My scars tell a story you aren't ready to hear.
Call me honey, call me a b***h,
but don't call me an inspiration.

© 2015 Petrichor


Author's Note

Petrichor
This is a draft of an idea, please give me feedback on the length as well as the overall rhythm of the work. I also feel like more could be added to the ending, so if you have any ideas, I would love to hear them!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've no problem calling someone in a wheelchair an inspiration - if they inspire me but to me it's all genetic anyway. I think the genes that switch on and off the various things (tenacity, bravery, compassion, etc) that might all go to make an inspirational being, will be identified, same way as they did with the grey hair gene recently. Until then I will call them inspirational - after then I'll probably call them lucky.


Posted 8 Years Ago


The length of this piece, and more specifically, which details you chose to include and which ones you left out, make a much stronger statement that any additions would. Your ability to convey so much of yourself and your inner emotions in such a concise form speaks volumes to your skills as a writer. I don't think that you have entirely accepted that you have remarkable talent and I'm positive that if you push yourself to embrace that talent, you will soar as a writer. As for the ending, you closed the poem powerfully, so if you were to add more, I think those lines would have the greatest impact if you kept them at the very end.
All in all, this is a striking and skillfully written poem. Keep writing, you really have a knack for it!

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2015
Last Updated on November 17, 2015

Author

Petrichor
Petrichor

Chicago, IL



Writing